Martial Arts Theme Camp

Martial Arts Theme Camp

Postby Boulderdawg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Just thinking about it......

Didn't know if there was already one on the playa or not. I think if a bunch of us did get serious about it, the first year would be very informal. Just but a bunch of people camping together that enjoy the martial arts. Then we could see how that went and officailly become a camp the next year.
Boulderdawg

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Go for it!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Black Rock Bakery

Postby Lucifer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Have you considered the Black Rock Bakery?

www.blackrockbakery.org

"Welcome to the Black Rock Bakery, a holy order devoted to the creation and delivery of piping hot baked goods. As each batch of exquisite pastries, breads, and pizzas emerges fresh from our propane and solar ovens, our dedicated squad of warrior monks rushes them to their lucky recipients, never breaking stride until they reach their destination. Bakers and athletes, join us, and join a higher cause!"

Their martial artist delivery crews are easy to spot around town, because they wear sashimono with the camp logo.

Lucifer
Lucifer

Postby Boulderdawg » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Not quite my idea when I think of an application for the martial arts!
Boulderdawg

So, this game is a "No" for 2010?

Postby 1962 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Sounds like there won't be a martial arts camp, then. I'm trying to get back into the style I was trained in, but would love the company of any artists who really enjoy their discipline. Maybe some t'ai chi together at sunset would be a great group time. But it sounds like it's not happening in 2010, right? :cry:

Postby Kiro » Fri May 07, 2010 7:05 pm

Boulderdawg wrote:Not quite my idea when I think of an application for the martial arts!

Knead dough for a few hours in the sun. It'll make wax on, wax off feel like kid's shit.
Kiro

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MaitreMaximillian » Fri May 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Fantastic idea. Easy to make a cohesive theme about it too, and add outdoor dojo decor. You could even offer short, fun, beginner's classes for visitors. And you could do demos and hold a tournament. There's tremendous potential here.
MaitreMaximillian

Postby Token » Fri May 07, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm Rex, founder of the Rex Kwan Do self-defense system! After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Happening or not??

Postby 1962 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:19 pm

So IS this theme camp registered and being planned, or not?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Whosoever sees the need, let them do the deed. It is written.

Make it happen dawg!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby 1962 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, since the deadline to register a theme camp has already passed, I figured whomever first raised this idea would have decided by now if it is a viable idea or not. Seems kinda odd to start a thread about wanting a camp created but then hope someone else does it -- odd to me, anyway.

Postby Boulderdawg » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 am

As I mentioned it was never going to be a registered theme camp...at least not this year.

Anyway it still might not be too late to look at getting a camp together. However because I never got much response from this I kinda just looked at trying to get into another camp somewhere. I think it's a good idea. Just as a personal thought though: Everybody and his brother/sister does Tai Chi at Burning Man. I'm looking for something a little more external.
Boulderdawg

Re: So, this game is a "No" for 2010?

Postby Lucifer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

1962 wrote:Sounds like there won't be a martial arts camp, then. I'm trying to get back into the style I was trained in, but would love the company of any artists who really enjoy their discipline. Maybe some t'ai chi together at sunset would be a great group time. But it sounds like it's not happening in 2010, right? :cry:

The martial arts wing of the Black Rock Bakery is the Black Rock Kwoon, whose website is not up yet, but its a dedicated dojo:

www.blackrockkwoon.org

If you want to get in touch with them, just contact the bakery:

www.blackrockbakery.org

Lucifer
www.goldencafe.org
Lucifer

Postby ChainLynx » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

My camp will be hosting an event I've done in previous years as well, the 'martial arts jam' -- free exchange of ideas and snippets from your chosen style(s).

http://earth.burningman.com/brc/2010/playa_event/2900/

There are certainly a diverse set of martial artists on the Playa each year. There's a capoeira roda at Center Camp pretty much every day, I believe.

A dedicated camp would be a treat! It's not too late for someone to do a camp without official placement. (Or check with me, we've got a couple of spots left. Just understand the intent of camp No Influence beforehand. :) )

Otherwise next year we can do a more formal Burning Man dojo. I'm game, I've helped organize a number of camps over the years.
ChainLynx

Postby Lowz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 am

http://www.blackrockbakery.org/
ok , now i know where the ninja turtles are hiding..
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Re: Martial Arts Theme Camp

Postby EdmundDante » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 am

I just wanna share. I'll go for MMA camp.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A mastery of martial arts weapon cannot be done easily." - Bruce Lee
EdmundDante

Return to 2010 Theme Camps