Anti M's home for Wayward Art 2010

Anti M's home for Wayward Art 2010

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 am

Greetings! 2009 was another wonderful year for the Home for Wayward Art. The donations were stellar, and I'm kicking myself because I didn't jot down who gave me what... but thanks to the talented Lady D for art and her wonderful MOOP jewelry, Genius for his great photos, Hedy for her prints, Shambala for the buttons (eep, do I have that right?) and Fishy for the box of truly amazingly wayward art. And of course, all the art donated without me there to say hi and thanks! There are more, jog my memory please, I have a swiss cheese brain. (Who gave us the wonderful pendants made in Boise......??? Someone I know and I'm blanking, dang it. I need to write this stuff down. And who I met. And stuff.).

Pinemom rocked by helping me acquire the velvet ropes, I swear, they made all the difference. I had a line one morning. A line!!!! I moved every single piece of art, save for a few I held back. I think we also had a good location this year.

This was my project last year* and since it is returning I thought I should introduce it yet again for the new folks.

Anti M's Home for Wayward Art is a place for small art, medium art, amateur art, but especially Bad Art, Lost Art, Found Art, Art which Needs a Good Spanking, and of course, Wayward Art. This is not a gallery, it is more like juvenile detention for art, an orphanage, a half-way house for misfit art. All art in the Home is up for adoption, all the prospective new parent needs to do is fill out a small adoption form and clip it to the Home in place of their newfound art darling. Art may also be committed to the Home, just put it securely in place and say good-bye. While the emphasis is on visual art such as paintings, drawings and photos, sculptural art and trinkets found their way into the Home last year and then found new homes.

Why? I love to paint, I love to do miniatures, I love to give things away. Based on the concepts of art and gifting, I came up with the Home. Why Bad Art? While I am quite good at miniatures, I am a beginner painter and not always pleased with my products. I also glean art from thrift stores and friends and family and yard sales.

I just put all the adoption cards from last year into albums, it was great to read over what went where and why, thanks to the eplayans who adopted and contributed! This project was so successful I had to ration out my original art, and I only had a handful of things which did not go to new homes. They're getting makeovers, hehehe.

For next year, I want a solar "closed" sign for night. This should be simple to acquire. Right now I'm rustling up new adoption card boxes, and more albums. I have 300 filled out cards in hand, yet I counted 400 on playa. Somewhere I've misplaced a stack of cards! And I need to label the full albums, perhaps add a small sign which says reading room or library.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=28003&start=0

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=23074&start=0
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 am

The orange Godzilla -vs- Burning Man shirt I got from you last year has recently became one of my most favorite/comfortable shirts in my current rotation in the top dresser drawer.

Thanks, Moderator M !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:33 am

I enjoy the Home for Wayward Art year round, because I'm looking for submissions year round. It's so nice to have a place for all the odd stuff that catches my eye, but I have no room for.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 am

Like this one? We have to thank Romeo Freakentein for the stencils, paint and shirts, and Genius for the labor. I normally won't accept clothes, but these were so cool, how could I resist?

That's what I love about this project, I never know what will appear, and it only gets better as more people donate and make it grow, change and become their own project too.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 am

LOL, Fishy, schmooches, because you definitely have the eye for waywardness!
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:39 pm

schmooches back, and that's one hell of a shirt. Dick's lucky I can't break into his trailor and "adopt" it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:00 pm

I'd make one for you, but the stencils are a bit thrashed.
AntiM

Postby winebuff » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Count me in for something to contribute, adopt etc. Now I know what to do with my upcoming christmas presents from the in-laws "wink"
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby gyre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:16 pm

I hope you do more of those shirts.
That's a great design.
gyre

My Little Adoptee

Postby Tumbleweed11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:45 pm

M, I gave one of your forlorn mini's a good home last summer and every time I look at it, I smile and feel good all over. Thanks.
"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
Tumbleweed11

Postby Dad » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:44 pm

I have a garage/studio/wood shop full of my works. Always a pain to paint as I sometimes(always) let emotions take over and the paint flys. Makes it tough. Always have a wet rag to clean the paint off of other works, tools, office supplies, etc.. Maybe I will bring a few works next year so they will have a home and be loved. Tough for me to let go of the stuff as it comes from so deep in my emotions but always love finding homes for it were it is appreciated.

Dad

http://guerrearts.artspan.com/home

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:54 pm

wadda think??
the pic is of the first one done, of course when I make more I'll let the paint dry between panels to avoid the glop there in the middle of ol' 'zilla.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby AntiM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:20 pm

Very cool, Bounce!

Dad, wonderful works. I know how hard it is to let the art fly away; I still wonder how some of my babes are faring in the wide world. I do not always know exactly who has what; my card system is lacking and loose. But that;'s part of the charm of the project.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:35 am

Yesterday I received a package full of delightful wayward art, mostly custom made for the Home, and signed/labeled to boot! I am pleased and energized by this early contribution. I hope to copy the letter enclosed with the art, so each piece will have a bit of history attached. And hey! They're each encased in special anti-UV bags! Bonus!

Thank you, thank you, Ancient Burner. You rock.

You really should be on eplaya to read this, hmmm?
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Mmmmm, smells like t-shirts. And tote bags.
AntiM

Postby Minxy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 am

That t-shirt design ROCKS, AntiM! Awesome!
Minxy

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 am

Thank you. They're looking good, but the supply is limited.

I did get my first official art piece made: Detritus and Minutiae, a shadowbox of random items from a life unknown. Hopefully the adoptive parent doesn't try to take it apart, I used liberal amounts of glue, mod podge and fabric paint!
AntiM

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Do you look mostly for 'donate-er made art' or is any awful, trippy, or awesome art welcome?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:30 am

illy dilly wrote:Do you look mostly for 'donate-er made art' or is any awful, trippy, or awesome art welcome?

Yes. And yes!
AntiM

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:41 am

AntiM wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Do you look mostly for 'donate-er made art' or is any awful, trippy, or awesome art welcome?

Yes. And yes!

Sweet I'll bring some art, I may actually make a donation and an adoption.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:38 pm

illy dilly wrote:
AntiM wrote:

Yes. And yes!

Sweet I'll bring some art, I may actually make a donation and an adoption.

Nice! Poke your had around back into the shade structure and say howdy if we're home.
AntiM

It looks like Romeo F. will be back this year. :)

Postby Romeo_Freakenstine » Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

I would love to make a donation this year.
I'm working on casting beltbuckels.
I also think I may still have a set of the 'Godzila vs burning man' stenciles some where if anyone would like them to make thear won one tshirt.
Romeo_Freakenstine

Postby gyre » Tue May 18, 2010 2:20 am

I want to make a shirt or two.
gyre

Re: It looks like Romeo F. will be back this year. :)

Postby AntiM » Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 am

Romeo_Freakenstine wrote:I would love to make a donation this year.
I'm working on casting beltbuckels.
I also think I may still have a set of the 'Godzila vs burning man' stenciles some where if anyone would like them to make thear won one tshirt.

I still have the stencils, but we practically destroyed them. Love to have them again.
AntiM

Postby MisaBlue » Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 am

So, is it ok, AntiM, to just show up with some piece or you need to know/have it beforehand?
MisaBlue

Postby AntiM » Tue May 18, 2010 7:21 am

MisaBlue wrote:So, is it ok, AntiM, to just show up with some piece or you need to know/have it beforehand?

Just show up with it. I'm easy to find, as Hushville is mapped and we usually get the spot we request within the village.

I have art come and go and I only know about it from the adoption card later. Some people do catch me in camp, and that's fun too. Sometimes the art is left in the shade structure, and that's fun too. Fun being the key word!

Interpreting the adoption cards is half the fun. Some are simply puzzling.

I have received art packages, I already have one this year. If you're in the mood to mail rather than haul and find, PM me for my snail mail addy.

Your choice!
AntiM

Postby MisaBlue » Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 am

Than I will just show up :)
MisaBlue

Postby EmilyD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 am

LOVE this idea! We have a tragic collection of wayward art but I don't think I can pry any of it out of the Mr.'s hands. I'm sure I can find something small/medium to donate to the excellent cause. I'll come find you at Hushville AntiM.

Hey, is there a library or a book exchange at Burning Man?
EmilyD

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:02 am

There's almost always several libraries. From one which was a full sized book mobile to small shelves and carts, they do show up. Had one next to us last year in Hushville!
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 pm

I've got at least three cityscapes this year. Some landscape, one maybe a little Cezanne, the others Fauvist. A really unfortunate group of figures. A pair of shoes. A little bit of Loteria. and there's still 2 months of yard sales to go.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to 2010 Art & Performance