Poly tarp tape supplier in the SF Bay Area?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Poly tarp tape supplier in the SF Bay Area?

Postby crasch » Thu May 13, 2010 6:19 pm

A friend of mine is working on a poly tarp dome cover for Flipside. Unfortunately, due to shipping snafu, the tape she ordered to seal the tarps hasn't arrived. Does anyone know where she could find a) a local (SF Bay Area) source for the tape (or suitable substitute) b) someone who might know of a local source ? I've attached the tape requirements below.

Thanks for any suggestions!

"The tarp material is called "Flashgro." http://www.ncwgs.com/flashgro.php

The description says the black backing (which is the side I need to tape) is "poly." My best guess is that this is the same "poly" as in poly tarps. Apparently there are 2 types of tarp, vinyl and poly, and in the context of tarps, "poly" stands for polyethylene.

I'm looking for polyethylene tape, at least 1.5" wide, which can be used to seal seams on poly tarps. Apparently very few things stick to poly tarps very well (and I can verify this, because I have this ferocious double-sided tape called 3M VHB - Very High Bond - and not even this sticks to it well, it peels off easily).

I'd like a black color to match the tarps I'm working with but I'll consider anything if I can get it before the weekend. I need 100-120 yd.

The exact product I ordered was this: http://www.findtape.com/product550/Nash ... =tarp+tape (on the manufacturer's website: http://www.covalenceadhesives.com/Searc ... spx?ID=660)

I tried contacting the manufacturer (Covalence Adhesives which is part of Berry Plastics), by looking on their website for retail outlets, and wound up having a phone conversation with one Jim Engel at a local manufacturer sales office, and he called around and the only place he could suggest that sells it is White Cap Construction Supply in San Jose, but I called them and they said they don't carry it.

BAC Industries also seems to make a tarp tape (see: http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/Tarp_Tape.html and http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-t ... -black.php) but that brand seems to cost more ($4 for 35' as opposed to $6 for 30 yds) and there is less information available about adhesive type, etc. I haven't called BAC yet to find out about distributors, I guess I will try that tomorrow morning."
crasch

Postby TomServo » Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Couldn't find the tape you were looking for, but call this place and ask.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-lots-san-francisco

Now that I think about it, gaps in the tarp are good. Allow airflow and reduce wind resistance. Ever thing of lacing the tarps, using custom made grommets? I reenforce all my grommets with good duct tape, poking a hole through the tape and grommet hole for the rope. Never had one rip out!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby papertygre » Fri May 14, 2010 10:44 am

Hey TomServo,

This is for Flipside so rain is quite likely. I put in ventilation openings where they could be covered by a rain fly, but the seams need to be watertight.

Thanks for the tip about the grommets. I will use that.

Cheers,
the friend
papertygre

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Rain at Flipside? Oh I hope not. =)

If you see a big red bus stop by and say hi.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby TomServo » Fri May 14, 2010 7:20 pm

My bad.

Since it won't be in the heat, ever consider gorilla tape?

TomServo

Postby papertygre » Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 pm

It gets quite hot in Texas in the summer, actually.

So as a matter of fact, I did resort to Gorilla Tape because it seems to stick to the poly well enough and I knew if I waited until the tarp tape I ordered arrived, it would be a nightmare to seal all the seams at once in my cramped living room, instead of doing it as I went along.

So I'm a little afraid to ask, what is the failure mode of Gorilla Tape in the heat and at what temperature does it start to happen?
papertygre

Postby TomServo » Sat May 15, 2010 4:19 am

It may just have been a pitch from the good people at "Duck" tape, but I read it has more adhesive than regular duct tape, and becomes sloppy when heated. I've used it with good results, however. Gorilla tape, that is... seems to be a dryer adhesive, that somehow sticks better than duct tape.

TomServo

Postby FIGJAM » Sat May 15, 2010 6:15 am

Breaking strength of duct tape 35pounds, gorilla tape 80 pounds.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby CapSmashy » Sat May 15, 2010 6:19 am

It shouldn't get hot enough at Flipside to melt the Gorillas tape.

The only time I had it fail was on our bus when we taped up the roof insulation. The tape was against the metal roof skin and it took about a week in the July sun here in Dallas to melt it it off in a few places.
CapSmashy

Postby CapSmashy » Sat May 15, 2010 6:20 am

TomServo wrote:It may just have been a pitch from the good people at "Duck" tape, but I read it has more adhesive than regular duct tape, and becomes sloppy when heated. I've used it with good results, however. Gorilla tape, that is... seems to be a dryer adhesive, that somehow sticks better than duct tape.

It leaves about triple the residue behind when you pull it off compared to normal duck tape.
CapSmashy

Postby papertygre » Sat May 15, 2010 12:31 pm

After doing some research it looks like duct tape uses rubber-based adhesive, and 150 degrees F looks like the temperature around which the adhesive begins to soften. Gorilla tape likely is similar.

The tarp tape I originally ordered is also described as having rubber-based adhesive, so maybe it has the same weakness.

I am just using the tape for sealing the seams, not for a structural purpose (the seams are sewn with thread first), so the risk in my case seems low. Also, the biggest problems seem to be from storage in a non-climate-controlled area (like an attic) or from applying to a metal surface which is exposed to a heat source, like sunlight or dryer exhaust.
papertygre

Postby TomServo » Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 am

I would test out gorilla tape in the sun, for a day or two. Never experienced it in the texas heat, but having lived in texas I can understand, it gets downright hot and humid. Its twice as much, costwise as duct tape, but I think it may be better. I've used duct tape to attach tarps, at BM, so Gorilla tape may be your answer. And, I'm assuming, cheaper than tarp tape.

TomServo

Postby AntiM » Sun May 16, 2010 6:14 am

MyLarry swears by Gorilla tape for tarp repairs for the ones on his semi. I don't know about heat, but he tarps drywall in the Vegas desert and then drives it down the interstate. Seems like it would hold up well, yes?
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Shelter & Camping