Black Rock Scouts... because kids are burners too

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Black Rock Scouts... because kids are burners too

Postby jmoralesgibson » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Black Rock Scouts is a budding new program for burner kids. Imagine to Boy/Girl Scouts, based on the Ten Principals of Burning Man. Burner-kids are the next generation, so the goal is to teach them what it takes to build and maintain their Black Rock community, and what it means to be a burner.

We invite theme camps, Earth Guardians, BR Rangers, DPW, DMV, Lamplighters, Greeters, Temple, BMIR, Airport, Recycle Camp, Arctica, Fire Dept., Medical and Emergency Services to host playa-cational field trips. We also invite art cars to host playa cruises or offer field trip transportation.

As parents, we're trying to encourage gifts of tiny meaningful tokens, instead of moopy-toys and sweets. The scouts will earn awards of patches, tokens or pins... for things learned, survival skills achieved, good deeds and connections made. Awards will be worn on functional bandoleer sashes made from recycled blue jeans, so we'll need seamstresses. I'm raising funds for patches with my fuzzy clip-on tails, see Cinder Garden Designs below.

playa con dios, judes

Judi Morales Gibson, camp Hot Monkey Sox, Kidsville
Facebook: Black Rock Scouts
Patch Fundraiser on Facebook: Cinder Garden Designs
jmoralesgibson

Postby Isotopia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Sounds like a request, wrapped within an appeal, to baby-sit while ma and da go play Love Train in the Tummy Tunnel back in the tent home.
Isotopia

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 pm

I got 6 kids through school and out on there own.. Now I want to go to Burning Man to get away from other peoples little snot pickers..
unjonharley

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Ahhhh..... Kids are cool.
They remind me of myself when I was younger.

Judi, PM me with pp/snail addy and I'll kick in for some patches. I may even be available to teach the snot picker merit badge.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

No Babysitting

Postby jmoralesgibson » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Nobody is asking for or offering babysitters here... in fact, Kidsville states that it is NOT a babysitting service. We practice extreme self-reliance and expect everyone to be responsible for their kids, or campmates acting like kids.

Kids must be accompanied by an adult to all Scout events and trips. Black Rock is a big place, so if you are kid-intolerant, it's easy enough to avoid Kidsville and the artcar full of kids.
jmoralesgibson

Postby goathead » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 am

Isn't there already Black Rock Scouts?
With COOKIES?
:lol:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby shroom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:28 am

I saw a photo of goth scouts.....

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

Massively cool. I am 52 going on 12 you know.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Minxy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

This sounds awesome. :)
Minxy

Postby misfit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 am

fire and medical may be up for it........
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Seems like a great idea. The scouts could work with DPW and learn valuable construction skills-among other things.
Playa Foot

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 am

Iso, most horrifying pseudonym for sex ever.

This all sounds like the boy scouts.
Surely there are more innovative approaches?
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 am

Playa Foot wrote:Seems like a great idea. The scouts could work with DPW and learn valuable construction skills-among other things.

???Are you suggesting exposing children to DPW???
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm

gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Whatever happened to starting fires and shooting small marsupials?
Ugly Dougly

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:51 am

unjonharley wrote:
Playa Foot wrote:Seems like a great idea. The scouts could work with DPW and learn valuable construction skills-among other things.

???Are you suggesting exposing children to DPW???

I am not touching that with YOUR ten foot pole.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby teardropper » Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 am

That sounds great. The next generation of BM. But then you have to have kids at BM. And I thought BM was like religion in only this regard-- when you're old enough you get to choose whether you want it in your life. But maybe you can Make a burner. It might take on some. The only problem is, you have to have kids at BM.

Kidsville exists, and I don't see any kids at BM. Maybe it's big enough and it is what you want it to be.

The problem is that you have to have kids at Burning Man.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 13, 2010 10:35 am

Can grownups be kids at Burning Man?
Ugly Dougly

Postby FIGJAM » Thu May 13, 2010 12:22 pm

What are you, 12.........responce..........sometimes........
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jmoralesgibson » Thu May 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Kids a problem? For who? For those of us who choose to bring kids, it's not a problem. We love sharing the burn with our kid. We simply practice the extreme self-reliance principal and hope other burners observe the acceptance-principal of Burning Man.

I've gone with and without a kid... and yes, they were different experiences, both good in their own way. The beauty of Burning Man, is it IS what you make it.

We've always told our nine-year old son that he does not have to come to BM if he doesn't want to... but he always chooses to come. BM has taught us the value of acceptance and open-mindedness, on and off the playa. The values kids learn at BM (community, generosity, self-reliance, etc.) make them better people for life... it's the best life-education we can give a kid.

And yes, grups can be and SHOULD be kids at Burning Man... it's never too late to have a good childhood.
jmoralesgibson

Postby Sail Man » Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

jmoralesgibson wrote:And yes, grups can be and SHOULD be kids at Burning Man... it's never too late to have a good childhood.

Apparently myself and UD are both still experiencing our's. I suspect Ygmir is as well :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 pm

At Barbarian Camp we had a kid from across the street join us. I think he was 12 or something and he had green hair. He basically became an honorary member of our crew.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu May 13, 2010 5:27 pm

what a great idea! i was a Boy Scout and can see the many lessons you can learn on the playa. kudos to you!
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri May 14, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks for forcing everyone to tone things down and become more "family friendly". The more Disney we can make it, the better!
I hated all the radical self expression. I like the milder version. It's kinda' like the movies... I never watch anything unless it's rated G, maybe PG-13 if I'm feeling naughty.

Everyone please bring your kids! They are people too! They should be injected into every adult activity.

This is such a GOOD idea, and will definitely make Burning Man a safer, saner, more regulated event, and that's what it needs.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby ygmir » Fri May 14, 2010 8:21 am

Sail Man wrote:
jmoralesgibson wrote:And yes, grups can be and SHOULD be kids at Burning Man... it's never too late to have a good childhood.

Apparently myself and UD are both still experiencing our's. I suspect Ygmir is as well :wink:

no, I am not experiencing you fellows' childhoods..........*shudders*

and, personally, I'm not comfortable with kids there......not that I'd ban them but, it's just not a choice I'd make, or agree with.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 am

Yeah, but you're the main reason we have to keep shielding the kid's eyes.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri May 14, 2010 9:03 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Thanks for forcing everyone to tone things down and become more "family friendly". The more Disney we can make it, the better!
I hated all the radical self expression. I like the milder version. It's kinda' like the movies... I never watch anything unless it's rated G, maybe PG-13 if I'm feeling naughty.

Everyone please bring your kids! They are people too! They should be injected into every adult activity.

This is such a GOOD idea, and will definitely make Burning Man a safer, saner, more regulated event, and that's what it needs.

Perhaps you missed the public masturbation?
Ugly Dougly

Postby FIGJAM » Fri May 14, 2010 10:55 am

Was there a class? Can I come?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Please don't tone it down

Postby jmoralesgibson » Fri May 14, 2010 1:28 pm

@ Capt Goddammit...
Who said anything about toning it down for kids or making it family friendly? That's the biggest misconception about burners with kids... that we want it to be Disney.

That's the wrong assumption. I personally hate Disney, have never taken my kid to Disneyland. I choose Burning Man for the radical self-expression. It teaches kids it's okay to be themselves, to appreciate nudity, creativity and individualism. Kids love critical tits, critical dicks, the penis art-cars... it's how the parents react that make it a good or bad experience.

The point is, everyone is welcome and has a right to be there, that includes kids, people tripping and guys walking around jerking off. If you encounter someone you don't want to be around, simply go the other way. It's just that easy.

If we stumble across a masturbation workshop, so be it... it gives my kid a chance to ask questions, and me a chance to talk to my kid about it. And we can simply turn around and go the other direction. No biggie. Any parent who expects the Black Rock community to tone it down for kids, has the wrong expectations. You sound like you've only played tourist there.

Below is an excerpt from an article I wrote about bringing kids to BM:

Burning Man Culture.
* It is the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids about Burning Man culture, compassion, responsibility, respect, self-reliance, courtesy and generosity. Prepare kids for what they will see, hear and experience (nudity, sexual reference, explosions, art cars with giant penises, etc.).
* Be prepared to answer challenging questions, but look at it as an opportunity to discuss things.
* Don't expect the community to change it's culture to shield kids from things some may consider inappropriate. It's up to the parents to protect their kids.
* As parents, it's our responsibility to control our kids and curb their behavior. It's not okay to let them run wild through camps, on structures, art work or art cars without permission of the owner.
* It's important for kids to be polite and respectful at all times.

Child Safety.
* It is not safe to turn young kids loose without supervision. The ticket states "Death or serious bodily injury can occur by attending this event". This means kids need supervision and protection more than ever.
* You are legally responsible for your kids. Don't assume your kids will be safe in someone else's camp. Don't expect burners to make their camp, art car or structure child safe. It's up to you to determine if it's safe.
* Set some safety rules for your kids, like:
- Set physical boundries in camp for them to stay in
- Traffic safety; don't run into the street, or only with an adult
- Review "dust storm" drills; put on goggles, mask and get inside a predetermined shelter (car, RV or tent). Stay with parents at all times.
- Review the "lost" drill; ask a adult for help. Show their dog-tag with their camp address so they can be taken home.
- If they are old enough to wander alone, set up regular times to check in. - Make sure they have a map and know where their camp is.

Still feel all funny inside knowing youngsters might see you do 'things'? That's your burden that you're throwing on the youngest of us, because they are OK with it.
jmoralesgibson

Postby Leopard Girl » Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 pm

I think people who want to exclude kids from burning man don't get burning man...Burning man is NOT about exclusion. Nobody cares what you do, so why do you care if I want to share the experience with my kid? In all environments, I parent my kid. This includes shielding her from danger, explaining strange behavior, making sure she's safe and happy. I love that the beauty and art and generosity of burning man is part of her fiber now. What I don't get is that other people have a problem with this. If you want to get your party on, go ahead, if I don't want her exposed we'll walk away, it's not your concern. If you just want to party why are you at burning man which is so much more than just a party. What's wrong with sharing the experience with everyone? Exclusion, prejudice, bigotry, it's all the same, it's all small minded.
Leopard Girl

Next

Return to Get Involved!