Truck Rental, something you may not know

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Truck Rental, something you may not know

Postby jkisha » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 am

For the last few years we have been renting our truck from U-Haul and paying a daily rate plus miles. This ended up costing us maybe $1,500 give or take, picking up and dropping off the truck at the same location.

However, we just discovered something interesting--some rental companies do not charge mileage for a one way rental. The interesting thing is that the only thing necessary to qualify for a one way rental is that you drop off the truck from a different location than where you picked it up--even if the two locations are a block away...no mileage charges.

This year this discovery will save us over $700 on our rental.

I just wanted to pass this info on so others can take advantage of this savings too. They don't tell you about this unless you ask. Unfortunately, until this year, we didn't know to ask.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kinetik V » Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 am

Dumb question: Why in the world would someone rent from U-Haul? The internet has story after story of U-Haul nightmares and the eplaya has it's fair share of them too. And last week while on I-80 in Nebraska I had to avoid furniture spilling out of the back of a U-Haul after the back door latch broke...yes it literally came unbolted and fell off allowing the door to go up and the contents to go spilling out. Dodging flying boxes at 80 mph is no fun let me tell ya. And after walking the median and shoulder the latch was never found.

Around here if that moving truck doesn't say Penske, we won't be using it. And they don't rape you on mileage, their trucks are clean, new, and reliable. And they don't give you crap at checkin time either...I've only had one bad experience with a missing key but that was my fault and the locksmith's problem, not Penske. In short...for the 40+ of us out here, they are the best and the only company to go with!)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby jkisha » Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 am

We've had good luck with U-Haul--always got a new truck with under 10,000 miles. Our decision is based more on cost than anything else.

Last year we used Enterprise.

We are renting from Penske this year. They were the best deal--we even got two days free and no mileage charges.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Sham » Wed May 12, 2010 9:07 am

Be careful with U-Haul. The rate for a local rental is very low, but they add lots for the mileage. The one way rental has no mileage charge, but the daily rate is huge. Check it out and you will probably be better doing things they way you were doing it. U-Haul has the cards always stacked in their favor---no matter what.

Check it out JK and let us know what you find.
Sham

Postby jkisha » Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 am

This year, Penske was the best way to go for us. Thirteen days for $745.00 tax and tip included, no mileage charges.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Sham » Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am

Yes, U-Haul is a fucking rip-off.
They have a local rate for the day for a 17ft. truck of $29.95 plus 99 cents a mile. A one-way rate is based on your destination and they only allow the drive time to get there for your rental. If you want it for more days, you pay $40 a day extra, and if you go over the miles to your desination, it's 40 cents a mile.
In short, stay the fuck away from U-Haul and their old crap can trucks that are being rented at full clip--plus!
Sham

Postby Dustdevil » Wed May 12, 2010 10:33 am

I think you may be in for a rude awakening when you attempt to return the one way truck to a close location. If you attempt to book that reservation on line you may find that the system will increase the daily rate. I have attempted this in the past without any luck. Perhaps if you book on the live reservation system, they may not catch the loop hole.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby jkisha » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 am

When I first heard about the one way thing with Penske, I was skeptical too. So, I called them and asked if there would be an extra charge if we brought back the truck with 1,500 miles on it even though we were doing a one-way to a city less than 20 miles away. They assured me there would not be an extra charge and then offered to give me two days free on top of the great rate I already was offered. So, I have that angle covered.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby dinks » Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Another odd thing about U-haul, A few years ago I needed to move from Vegas to Reno. So I went online to book the truck and it came out to be about $1100. Just for kicks I changed the starting point to Henderson NV (borders Las Vegas) and the rental rate dropped to $600. So try neighboring towns/cities when booking online with them.
dinks

Postby Popobumm » Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Great Tips! We were just trying to figure out how to transport all our hexayurt material up there from Orange County. Originally thought we would maybe rent a truck and a trailer (since they don't tend to charge mileage on trailers), but will definitely have to check this out.

I'm trying to check this out on the Penske online website, which does seem to confirm that there is no mileage charge for one way rentals. However, they don't seem to let you keep the truck for more than 5 days or so :( At least online anyway...perhaps I need to call them and do it live.
Popobumm

Postby Kinetik V » Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 pm

If you need a truck for more than 5 days call Penske's Customer Service directly. They are great to work with. I've NEVER had a problem getting extended. Here's a tip...they can grant a free day for weather delays...but use that sparingly and it's at the rep's discretion. YMMV.

Overall, IMHO there's Penske, and then there's everybody else. At least with Penske I haven't needed to have a bottle of Tagamet on hand. Things just work smoothly with their trucks and their staff.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Popobumm » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:21 pm

I just tried calling Penske, and they told me the maximum is 5 days for a 1-way rental =/ Does it vary per location? I guess I can try calling around...

Don't want to do U-Haul if possible
Popobumm

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Popobumm wrote:Great Tips! We were just trying to figure out how to transport all our hexayurt material up there from Orange County. Originally thought we would maybe rent a truck and a trailer (since they don't tend to charge mileage on trailers), but will definitely have to check this out.

I'm trying to check this out on the Penske online website, which does seem to confirm that there is no mileage charge for one way rentals. However, they don't seem to let you keep the truck for more than 5 days or so :( At least online anyway...perhaps I need to call them and do it live.

Be sure if you are still thinking of renting the trailer option, to check out rental trucks with trailer hitches.

My friend tried to do this two years ago...and we were shocked to find that trucks with trailer hitch/packages were almost impossible to rent unless you went up into the commercial rental market. Seems that rental agencies do NOT want renters (i.e. inexperienced) people towing crap.

We didn't even imagine it would be a problem and he had focused most of his energy on the trailer part of the equation.

That led to quite a bit of last minute scrambling.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Acepike » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 pm

jkisha wrote:This year, Penske was the best way to go for us. Thirteen days for $745.00 tax and tip included, no mileage charges.

JK

Yes, I definitely agree with you. Penske is the best because they provide a good service. And at the same time it is affordable and they cannot charge for mileage.
Acepike

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:57 pm

I have a truck reserved with Budget. Has anyone had a bad experience with them or anything I should be aware of. Thanks...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gidget » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am

Budget is good. We go with them every year. Make sure to clean the truck well before you return.

The only negative experience we had with them was that one year the truck died on the way back to Reno. They did send out a replacement truck, plus a bunch of guys to repack the new truck, who then broke all our shit in the process, but I can't really blame that on Budget. They did not charge us for the truck dying, and actually gave us a credit on our next rental.

I do know that Budget's rates can vary greatly from online to 800-number reservations to in store reservations, so you may want to hunt around and see if you can get the same truck for a better deal. Weird but this just seems to be the case...

As with all major corporations, there is always the chance that you will have to deal with a few assholes. Sometimes this is a reflection of the company. Sometimes not, they are just assholes no matter who they work for.
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 am

Holllllllllddddd on... you guys are recommending Penske? This is conflicting with everything that I've read..
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:18 am

Contradictory Stories: Not just for political campaigining any more.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Truck Rental, something you may not know

Postby Minty de la Playa » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I just called the Reno Penske location and they are refusing to allow their trucks to be rented out for Burning Man. :(
Minty de la Playa

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Bakery

Postby Straightveg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Minty de la Playa wrote:I just called the Reno Penske location and they are refusing to allow their trucks to be rented out for Burning Man. :(

This thread's a few years old, so that's not surprising. Try the Budget truck location in Reno on Gentry Way. They're 100% burner friendly over there. This thread has amazingly helpful information on truck rental and truck-as-shelter ideas.
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby lucky420 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:29 pm

also the Budget Truck Rental in Carson City will rent to burners
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Straightveg » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

From previously recommended thread
fingermaster wrote:Penske not burner friendly...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67249454@N ... /lightbox/
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Re:

Postby jkisha » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:29 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Holllllllllddddd on... you guys are recommending Penske? This is conflicting with everything that I've read..

This was an old post. We had a reservation cancelled by them when they found out we were going to BM, and have heard many horror stories since my original post. My only recommendation about Penske now is to avoid them like the plague.
JK
jkisha

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 pm

We rented a uhaul trailer in 04. After the event, we were 5 miles outta gerlach when a tire blew. Had to drive to fernley to call their repair center. Then was told we had to wait until a mechanic could switch out the tire. 10 hours later a guy showed up. Had a few words with them about their shitty equipment. Turns out the tires were over 11 years old. They didnt give a shit.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Return to Transportation