Crazy opera singer here

Crazy opera singer here

Postby C.O.L.A.H. » Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm preparing for my fourth trip to Black Rock City, and I think it's fucking lame that I've never done there what I do here, which is sing all the damn time.

I'm looking for a stage to sing on! I could bust out some French Romantic aria (Massenet, anyone?) or bust out the vocal fireworks a la Rossini. What I'd need is a piano. And to do it on a Monday or Tuesday, before my voice is killed by the dust. Any ideas?

On a non-operatic note, I am also working on a solo project that is for electronics, strings, and voice. That might be a bit more complicated, as I would need to wrangle a violinist and/or cellist, and have a place to "plug in" .. laptop and mic would be involved.

I heard that there is a lady who sings some opera at Thunderdome. Now THAT would be killer.

Let me know if you have any leads/advice- thanks!
C.O.L.A.H.

Postby Elorrum » Fri May 07, 2010 4:14 pm

You must seek out Elliot. He is up to his neck in pianos I hear. It would be glorious to have you sing on his piano boat while cruising around.

search elliot and look at his posts, and (I'm getting ahead of myself on this, it's not my boat. pm him and I hope it works out somehow.
Elorrum

Postby Elliot » Fri May 07, 2010 9:30 pm

:D
One banana boa... I mean, piano boat reporting for duty!

It is Mutant Vehicle number 296, called (You're Gonna Need A) Bigger Boat, and it will indeed have a piano onboard. (I've already told you this by PM, but we are trying to spread the word here.)

Whichever of my pianos winds up on the boat will probably have difficulty qualifying as a honky-tonk payanner in a western movie, but considering we are probably going to drop it from a great height at the end of the week....

If you look around on this forum, you will also find string players, including a cellist.

What I don't have is a pianist! My "art" in this regard is transporting the piano(s) to the Playa.

So this is a casting call for pianists! Top priority is accompanying the real opera singer, but we have a whole week to make joyful noise, so all genres are most welcome.

In addition to Bigger Boat, there will be two pianos in Terminal Village, and one of those is scheduled to be a Steinway Concert Grand (not mine).

I'm also hoping to put wheels on my ratty Baby Grand, but that's on the back burner now that I'm building Bigger Boat.

Oh, and I'm looking for more free pianos. It's a numbers game -- grab enough free pianos, and some of them will be usable. (I see lots of them on Craigslist in the Bay Area -- the difficulty is getting enough help to wrestle them out of the owners' house without tearing up the floors. And I live way north of the Bay.) Any style piano, but of course... if you can pilfer a perfectly good Grand from your excentric grandfather....

All right -- speak up, pianists!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby talito » Sun May 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Pianist present!
Looking forward to fondling the faux-ivories on the playa.
C.O.L.A.H. , can't wait to hear you sing. I don't play much operatic music but I'd be open to working on some pieces if you have anything specific in mind.
talito

Postby gaminwench » Sun May 09, 2010 4:08 pm

These four posts are 'why you gotta love eplaya'....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Thecatman » Sun May 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Even though I'm more into classic rock and classic country, oprera would be a good change along with classical stuff like Mozart, Beethoven etc.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby masho » Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Looking forward to hearing more, one might even say that I'm "stoked" :wink:
masho

Postby pinemom » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 am

Colah, we actually did Opera on the playa at the Booby bar circa 2007.

Elliot is in Terminalcity too!!!!

(there was rumor for awhile that we would have another piano in the Booby Bar 2010...we'll see, as playa happens and not all things come to fruition..)

My dtr come to burningman and is also a accomplished Violinist(although the violin she brings out there is her student model, cause I wont allow the JacksonGouldan to go to the dust. She is thinking about bringing one of her electric Violins too...

Oh what fun 2010 is gonna be!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 am

DTR = Drunk Texter's Remorse?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Mon May 10, 2010 9:35 am

pinemom wrote:Colah, we actually did Opera on the playa at the Booby bar circa 2007.

Elliot is in Terminalcity too!!!!

(there was rumor for awhile that we would have another piano in the Booby Bar 2010...we'll see, as playa happens and not all things come to fruition..)

My dtr come to burningman and is also a accomplished Violinist(although the violin she brings out there is her student model, cause I wont allow the JacksonGouldan to go to the dust. She is thinking about bringing one of her electric Violins too...

Oh what fun 2010 is gonna be!

I'd perform "River Dance" if Dougly and others, would join me at the Booby Bar.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 10, 2010 11:03 am

Antler dance. Antler dance.........
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby talito » Mon May 10, 2010 11:08 am

Another idea to throw into the mix, which has worked very well for me at many events, is an 80s singalong.
Many people seem to know and love that repertoire.
Songs such as "Take On Me", "Jesse's Girl", "Jenny (867-5309)", "Take Me Home Tonight", "Livin On A Prayer", etc.
talito

Postby Elliot » Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Some of us are a bit off the trail here, in that Sophia (C.O.L.A.H.) is a real opera singer -- not just "a lady with a decent voice who likes to sing". I just want to make that clear.

I have also renewed contact with VeganChoirGirl, who came close to joining Terminal City last year but wound up camping elsewhere. She reports having a great first burn and we may get to hear her sing this year.

Pinemom, if the Steinway fails to show up, you can still have one of my uprights in Booby Bar.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm

An opera singer? Masenet? Rossini? Beethoven?? Pianos??!??! :shock:

And I pick this year to sit out the Burn! :x :cry:
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Elliot » Mon May 10, 2010 1:46 pm

My pianos are bottom-of-the-barrel units that I'm picking up free off FreeCycle and such, but Oscillator has volunteered to come to my house and apply his piano technician skills to the most grievious problems. And I have one that seems to need nothing at all for Playa duty.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby talito » Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 pm

[quote="Elliot"]:D
Some of us are a bit off the trail here, in that Sophia (C.O.L.A.H.) is a real opera singer -- not just "a lady with a decent voice who likes to sing". I just want to make that clear.
[/quote]

No disrespect intended to C.O.L.A.H. Just offering various music options. In my mind, hearing a pro opera singer singing something other than opera could be wonderful.

I'm a professional pianist, and though I don't specialize in opera, I have worked with an opera troup in rearranging several operatic pieces for their live performances. So the concept of crossing genres and traditional stylistic boundaries appeals to me.
talito

Postby Elliot » Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Wondermuss!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby penrose » Tue May 11, 2010 5:04 am

Hi Elliot. We were in the same camp in 08. Anyway, I've been wondering what to do with the Packard upright that's been in the family forever besides move it from one living room to the next every thirty years and suddenly it looks like there are more options ...

I love operatic singing and hope I get to hear it. It's a different sort of voice than we get in the playa choir.
penrose

Postby Elliot » Tue May 11, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Penrose -- yes, yes... Camp Inspiratum with Chuck and Marek and The Exploratorium and so forth. Since I like to rotate among my favorite camps, I may be back there in a couple of years!

Opera is indeed a unique musical form.
I may be technically wrong, but I have always thought of the human singing voice as a musical instrument, rather than a storytelling device. To hear a story, I generally prefer to hear a poem or simply a spoken story. Put another way, when I listen to a song, I listen more to the sound than to the words. Opera is of course the most advanced form a human-voice music. (Silly idea, heh? :lol: )

So... what do you want to do with your piano? Can you bring it to Camp Inspiratum? If it's in tip top playable condition, it ought to be put to use.

I can neither sing nor play, but I sure can listen. I think I have heard of the Playa Choir -- perhaps you can tell us more. A burner called VeganChoirGirl is lurking around here somewhere.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm

talito wrote:Another idea to throw into the mix, which has worked very well for me at many events, is an 80s singalong.
Many people seem to know and love that repertoire.
Songs such as "Take On Me", "Jesse's Girl", "Jenny (867-5309)", "Take Me Home Tonight", "Livin On A Prayer", etc.

And what circle of hell did you crawl out of?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

I try not to judge anybody's choice of music, but since you bring it up.... I've been kind'a hoping Talito was kidding. :wink:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby talito » Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 am

Judge away! I take no offense about that kind of stuff. Especially when it comes to Burning Man.

I'm a child of the 80s, was raised on that music, as well as classical. I've been playing piano for almost 30 years, and currently work professionally as a composer/arranger/producer/pianist/teacher...and to me the genre is irrelevant as far as "quality" goes. Approaching music with a purist's stylistic hierarchy with classical/opera at the top and others below it makes no sense to me.

My personal listening taste generally leans towards jazz and classical, but not far behind are many others - funk, afro-cuban, brazilian, electronic, folk, rock, etc.

In any event, fret not fellow burners, I won't be forcing my ideas on anyone. I'm down with keeping it pure opera if that's the consensus.
talito

Postby Elliot » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am

Talito, you have given me courage! I shall now confess my dark secret to the multitudes of the Burning Man Community -- The one album I would take with me to solitary confinement for the rest of my natural life: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Also, please note that I put at least two qualifiers in my silly statement above. Now that I think about it, there are even Fleetwood Mac tunes that "do not measure up". Quality is quality in any genre, indeed.

Have you made contact with Sophia yet?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby talito » Wed May 12, 2010 10:51 am

Ha!

Elliot, No need to hide your love for Fleetwood Mac. Rumours is a beautiful piece of music. Maybe we can do a few songs from the album at BRC?
talito

Postby C.O.L.A.H. » Sat May 15, 2010 9:54 am

Pinemom-- if you have a piano in the Booby Bar this year, I'll bring my voice AND my boobs to your camp!

Also, the idea of an electric violin is awfully exciting, seeing as I am on the hunt for live strings to play with my electronica/strings/vocal set at the Transmorphogon! This one is a little harder to put together but if the violinist is interested-- it's extremely simple string parts and about a 25 minute set. It would happen on Monday night or Tuesday day/night. Please let me know, thank you :)

Talito-- PMed you about piano wondrousness. As far as the '80s music goes, that is the situation I found myself in last year, at the end of the week with a dust-broken voice but a strong desire to sing my little heart out. The area around 8:30 and H got to hear me warbling "It's time for the GOOD TIMES!! Forget about the BAD TIMES! Just seven days to come together to release the pressure! IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE!" while wandering around in a dust-covered haze.

Um...

:shock: :lol:
C.O.L.A.H.

Postby talito » Sat May 15, 2010 10:05 am

C.O.L.A.H. , that is a great picture you paint! I wish I could have witnessed that in person.
talito

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:22 am

Update on my piano situation:

I will have a big tall upright piano in Kamp Apokiliptika's Kantina, in Terminal Village, at A & 3:15. It is on wheels, so they may move it out on the street and what-not.

I will have a big tall upright piano in Kinetic Cab Company, on Esplanade at 9. That's where I will be camping. Not sure if the piano will be in camp, or in our exhibit across Esplanade.

I will have a portable piano to tow anywhere (within reason). I expect to use my four-person pedal-vehicle for this. It will be a spinet, for light weight, but I just don't have time and money to get my motorized Mutant Vehicle finished this year.
One confirmed appearance or the portable piano is the E-playa Meet-N-Greet on Thursday evening at Barbie Death Camp And Wine Bistro.

I am definitely open to setting up other scheduled singing-and-playing sessions!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby talito » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 am

Oooooh baby!

I would love to schedule another singalong.

Also, COLAH and I were planning on performing together. Can't wait to hear her sing her heart out.

Looks like I'll be camping with BRC Center for Unlearning located at 3:00 / D, but of course we can set up our singalong anywhere. I'll also have my keytar for some electronic flavor.
talito

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 am

Also, COLAH and I were planning on performing together. Can't wait to hear her sing her heart out.

You two set a time and place, and I'll show up with the piano. Assuming that time slot is not already taken, of course. (Thursday afternoon and evening is packed.)

Or hold it at my place, Esplanade & 9, if you wish.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby talito » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

Excellent!

I'll get in touch with her, and we'll coordinate time/place with you.
talito

Return to 2010 Art & Performance