Yurt-Dome?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Yurt-Dome?

Postby cowgirl » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:54 pm

anyone out there have experience with this company?

http://www.shelter-systems.com/
cowgirl

Postby DancingTofu » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:16 am

No, but they sure look spiffy....
--manda, Daughter of the Cantaloupes
DancingTofu

The warnings writtten in Farsi...

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:55 pm

The dome's covering can fail or the covering be ripped from the clips in extreme wind.
:roll: I think they mean at "Burning Man"

undoubtledbly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:14 pm

Might check their testimonials page and elsewhere on their site.

As with any tent-like structure, the playa typically requires extra measure eg windbreaks, extra guy lines, etc.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Angel Ben » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:14 am

I borrowed one of their 30' domes for a local event, and was very pleased with it. It was sturdy and attractive, although the weather was very mild so I can't speak for its environmental abilities (protection from wind, rain, and extreme temperature). It went up relatively quickly and easily with 4 or 5 people.
Angel Ben

Shelter Systems Dome

Postby MayaP » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:46 pm

Our camp has used a small dome form them for the past 4 or 5 years, and it has really survived well - no damage that I know of. Great in wind and rain. A bit hot in the daytime. Covering it with Mylar helps.
MayaP

shlter systems dome experienceAnd like MayaP said, it gets

Postby technopatra » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:09 pm

These domes are great. I had a 30' one last year that was 3 years old and it held up magically. I'm hoping to get a smaller one this year.

Things you might want to know:

-As with any structure, it is not really secure until the guy lines are tied. I found this one out the hard way, rookie-style.

-The site says you can put the big one together with 2 people in an hour. Try 3 people and 2 hrs. The smaller ones - 20' and under - can be put together by one person right quick.

-Wear gloves and boots when assembling/disassembling. The structure is tension-based and those pvc poles can pop right out and poke you.

-They are not totally waterproof. Keep some clamps and some drip cups on hand just in case.

and like MayaP said, it gets hot during the day. You can easily tie an extra tarp over it to create a pocket of cooler air and it should make it bearable during the day.
technopatra

2010 Burning Man : Come prepared!! 30' Dome Yurt for sale

Postby texaseskimo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:58 pm

To get this post going again...yes, these domes are awesome. We've had one in our backyard for a few years now and it's held up great (just needs a scrubbing).

We are going to be reworking our yard and unfortunately the dome doesn't fit in with our plan so we're putting it up for sale.

Please send me a PM if you're interested. Must be able to pick it up...we're in the Boulder Creek area.

Cheers,

Dana
texaseskimo

Postby SpacemanSpliff » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:19 am

I have an 18' Playa Dome from them, and have no complaints (other than the fact that, if I got off my ass and fabricated one myself, it'd cost half as much).
"No, dude, I'm not going to kiss the cat. You people are sick. I'm outta here."
SpacemanSpliff

Return to Shelter & Camping