Martinis at the Man

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Martinis at the Man

Postby smohq » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:55 pm

Well, last year's M@tM was such a resounding(ly drunken) success, how could we not do it again this year? We went through 5 bottles of vodka (Stoli and Absolut), 2 bottles of Gin (Tanqueray), 3 (not enough) bottles of cranberry (for cosmopolitans), 5 (of 10, lesson learned) bags of ice, most of a huuuuge bottle of olives, half a bottle of cocktail onions, and the smidgiest smidgen of dry vermouth (surprised? neither was I).

This year we plan on upping the amounts of everything ('cept the ice and vermouth) and shakin' up martinis for the masses at the same time, same day, at a reasonably similar location (we set up behind the Man last year so as to catch the Reverend Billy and the Stop Shopping Choir's performance, but we may be in front this year, who knows, just wander, you'll find us). So, for repeat offenders, same day and time; for those not in the know, Martinis at the Man will be on Thursday night starting at 8:00 pm Playa time.

So come on by and sidle up to the bar (folding table) and enjoy a liquid liquory libation (or three) with us as we shake our way into the night. I was pleased to receive one of my favorite gifts at last year's M@tM, my very first el-wire. An orange, 2-foot long piece that i plan to fashion into the shape of a martini glass to guide all you dry mouthed Burners to our oasis of icy, boozy refreshment. Look for it. I'll look for you.

One of the two disappointing things about last year's M@tM was the broken rib I suffered while drunkenly removing my cape afterwards in our tent. I stepped on our air mattress and tumbled sideways into the side of the tent. As if it were a wall, I put my arm out to stop my tipping\falling. Whereupon the "wall" of the tend just sighed away from my hand (as is it's wont) allowing me to fall sideways onto our huge open rubbermaid container that housed all of our clothes for the week. Well, in case you didn't already know, the force of a 180 lb body falling onto a roughly 1/2 inch wide sturdy rubbermaid container edging is approximately enough (or more than enough) force to break one's rib. The rest of my week was spent in Vicodin'ed, godihopeidon'tfuckingsneeze agony. In fact, it still hurts if I sneeze hard or sleep on it too long. So please don't be offended this year if I don't toast everyone who raises their cup to me. I plan on consuming at a VASTLY reduced rate this year. :)

The other thing I was a bit disappointed in about last year's M@tM was the fact that Bob didn't show up and scorn our choice of liquors. There's always this year Bob, stop by and say 'hi', and feel free to scorn away.

So, COME ON DOWN! Let's do our part to help reduce the amount of dangerous booze in the world by consuming as much of it as we can in an evening at this year's Martinis at the Man! Again, for those of you with S.T.M.L., we'll be shakin' 'em up Thursday night from 8 pm until the booze is gone, somewhere near the base of the Man. Look for the orange martini glass and slake that thirst!

Peace, Love and Light,
Dennis
In Dust We Trust
smohq

Postby smohq » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:56 pm

Damn, how many times (lots, apparently) can I parenthesize in one post?

;)
In Dust We Trust
smohq

A burning Mantini!

Postby Coastburner » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:26 pm

Wow, Martini's at the Man! Sounds like a blast. I think I'll see if you can make me a special Burning Mantini! I'll look for the martini glass near the man and come join you for some fun.
Coastburner

Sorry to hear about the rib --

Postby Coastburner » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:28 pm

By the way, sorry to hear about the rib. That's definately a bummer but sounds like you enjoyed yourself to the fullest -- up to that point anyway.
Coastburner

Sorry to hear about the rib --

Postby Coastburner » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:30 pm

By the way, sorry to hear about the rib. That's definately a bummer but sounds like you enjoyed yourself to the fullest -- up to that point anyway.
Coastburner

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:15 pm

Burning Mantini - A martini with a flaming float of bacardi 151/everclear. just a thought...

see you thursday 8)
DeadlyKungFu

Postby smohq » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:49 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Burning Mantini - A martini with a flaming float of bacardi 151/everclear. just a thought...

Damn, now that's an idea! Probably won't be too good in the plastic cups we use, though. Hmmm. Gonna have to think about this for a bit...
In Dust We Trust
smohq

Postby BAS » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:30 pm

Maybe a metal cup/goblet/shot glass/some other sort of container? (Could get expensive if people keep them, 'though.)

Just a thought.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

~

Postby sparkletarte » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:38 pm

How about mantinis? And there really needs to be some Fireball in them.
sparkletarte

Martinis

Postby Reeve » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:30 pm

I fookin LOVE martini's Im so there...Im so sad I didnt know about this last year!!! Im so there!!!

Cheers!!
"its piss clear not piss forever!"
Reeve

Postby tequila dave » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:35 pm

Hey, mind if I bring my rolling bar and gas-powered blender to make margarita's ? just in case there might be a burner or two who don't like martini's. I'll bring all the ice and tequila I need.
itchin' to burn,
tequila dave
tequila dave

Postby zzberlin » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:42 pm

> godihopeidon'tfuckingsneeze agony

This wins the phrase of the week award.

Thank goodness for the opiates.

All this talk of martinis makes my ulcer hurt
so I'll probably skip these festivities
but it sounds really fun.

Oh and just so you know, it's part of the
whole bob mystique thing that his appearances
among the commoners are few and far-between.
zzberlin

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:13 am

I'm so spoiled: maybe I'll bring along my chocotini fixin's to share. Oh, and the shave ice machine. Shave ice chocotini's ... mmmm... think I'll go have breakfast now.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby smohq » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:58 pm

Well, it seems that my beautiful barmaid and wife will be assisting in the mixin' sober this year. Turns out we're fertile! HUZZAH! We'll most likely miss 2005's Burn to be with our spawn, but 2006 should see the martinis flowin' again, with the wonderful assist of grandma's babysitting for the week.

Thanks for the offers of help, guys. Come on by, a couple extra hands might come in handy, even if they only need help drinhq the 'tinis!

Peace, Love and Light!
In Dust We Trust
smohq

Burning Martini V2.0

Postby Dardanian » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:19 am

Burning Martini V2.0 (Modified for large-events)

2.5 gallons vodka
1 shotglass vermooth
1 bottle of marshino cherries
1 jar olives
1.5 litres 151

1 5 gallon martini glass (I'll bring one)
12 shot glasses

Mix vodka & vermooth over ice, strain into giant martini glass.
Place 1 cherry or 1 olive in each shot glass. Fill shot glass with 151.
Float 151 shots in martini glass. Light each one, everyone grab a shot! Chase with martini.

Bobbing for alcohol poisoning anyone?

-Christopher of Aeneadae
Dardanian

Postby JezebelinHell » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:26 am

But...but...I'll be at the Meet & Greet on Thursday night...

How late do the festivities go? I love them chocotinis, and I love running into people I know from the eplaya.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

A little boid told me...

Postby Lostfolio » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:11 am

I was asking around Seattle for everybody's favorite playa cocktail (here after to be referred to as a "PlayaTail") and the one that really hit home was the Espresso Martini. Thus:

1 shot of espresso
1 shot kaluha
2 shots vodka

Mix in a tumbler with ice. Sh-sh-shake and serve. So. Frelling. Yummy. Needless to say, I'll be bringin' fixin's to BRC. I'm ver', ver' heppy about M@M and I'll be there shifting impatiently (but charmingly) from foot to foot.
Love pussy, hate Bush
Lostfolio

Postby Selkie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:50 am

I've spent some time as a bartender and I make a mean martini, if I do say so myself. ;) I'd be happy to help out and join the festivities. All I ask is enough cosmos to keep me happy. (Luckily I'm kind of a lightweight so that's not all that much.)
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
~Mark Twain
Selkie

Re: Martinis at the Man

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:46 pm

smohq wrote:One of the two disappointing things about last year's M@tM was the broken rib I suffered while drunkenly removing my cape afterwards in our tent. I stepped on our air mattress and tumbled sideways into the side of the tent. As if it were a wall, I put my arm out to stop my tipping\falling. Whereupon the "wall" of the tend just sighed away from my hand (as is it's wont) allowing me to fall sideways onto our huge open rubbermaid container that housed all of our clothes for the week. Well, in case you didn't already know, the force of a 180 lb body falling onto a roughly 1/2 inch wide sturdy rubbermaid container edging is approximately enough (or more than enough) force to break one's rib. The rest of my week was spent in Vicodin'ed, godihopeidon'tfuckingsneeze agony. In fact, it still hurts if I sneeze hard or sleep on it too long.
Dang--we need an Accident and Injuries thread. (Especially if all victims are as eloquent as smohq.) I may wander over after the wedding. Hard to say.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:49 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:But...but...I'll be at the Meet & Greet on Thursday night...

How late do the festivities go?
I'm guessing that if the meet & greet starts at 5:00 and this at 8:00 that you'll be able to hightail it to the man and make both at 9:00 when the meet and greet peters out. But I imagine that this is one of those playa time things where planning will only help you so far. I'm guessing I'm snookered for both because of my wedding.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby slimehag » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:10 pm

godihopeidon'tfuckingsneeze.com

get my award for the best new name for a website!

I hope those Martinis (like the rest of the crowd) are going to be stirred and not shaken :lol:
slimehag

Martinis at the Man

Postby slimehag » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:11 pm

I feel like we're best friends already--pour me another!

godihopeidon'tfuckingsneeze.com

gets my award for the best new name for a website!

I hope those Martinis (like the rest of the crowd) are going to be stirred and not shaken :lol:
slimehag

multiple posting

Postby slimehag » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:12 pm

Oops sorry :oops:
slimehag

Postby smohq » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:40 pm

Just a quick update before I get back to Playa Preparations (are we REALLY leaving in 5 days?!? Ooof!). Due to newly realized budgetary constraints (Bless you Coventry, VT and #@*%! the NYPD and their accursed, expensive impound yard!), the amount of libations for M@tM will be many bottles fewer. But do not be alarmed, we will still have enough to hopefully last at LEAST two hours or so. We had originally wanted to shake into the wee hours of Friday morning, but alas, that now looks to be the new goal for BM 2005. I just wanted to give you guys the heads up in case you were planning on coming later in the night, as I'd still love to meet you all: just come earlier. I'll try and start a little later, perhaps 8:30 or so, which will keep us there until past 10 PM if all goes according to drunhqen plan. That'll be PLENTY of time if you were, say, planning on coming after a certain Meet n Greet, or Heaven's Vault forbid, even a wedding or some such event.

So I managed to fashion my orange ELwire gift from last year's M@tM into a martini glass and, through the wonders that are copper posts and champagne corks, also managed to mount it to our handy folding picnic table. Unfortunately the copper post wasn't tall enough to get the glass over 6', so don't look up, look straight ahead (unless you're 4' or under, THEN look up). Find the martini glass and mosey over. We'll shake you up an ice cold 'tini and we can reminisce over all the good times yet to come.

slimehag and anyone else who prefers stirred over shaken: I'll try and remember a stirrer, but no promises. ;)

Come one, come all.
Come Thursday, Come thirsty!

Peace, Love and Light,

Dennis (and my cosmo shakin' sidekick Molly)
In Dust We Trust
smohq

Postby smohq » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:20 pm

Okay, this is too cool, so I just had to add this:

I received a message yesterday from The Wave saying "I've moved my 'Martini Time with the Rat Pack' to coinside with your event. Please check it out on the BRC's first choice for playa tunage, Power 92.5! It'll be all Frank, Dean, and Sammy tunes from 7:30 till at least 9 p.m.! If you'll have a radio at the party, tune it in and crank it up..."

That's right everyone, M@tM '04: Now 97% Hipper!

HUZZAH!!! And many thanks, The Wave!

8)
In Dust We Trust
smohq

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities