Large Scale Mutant Vehicles banned?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Large Scale Mutant Vehicles banned?

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:13 am

In the art car threads, there has been recent mention that the large scale mutant vehicles are being banned (La Contessa, the blue shark, the whale, Draka, etc).

I can understand why the blue shark is being ix nayed based on their history last year. But (assuming this rumor is true) does anyone know why vehicles like the whale and Draka are being banned? Is this a general policy? Will all large vehicles be banned regardless?

If a large vehicle is well executed, open to the public, pleasing to look at, and behaves properly, why shouldn't it be allowed?

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Badger » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:06 am

If a large vehicle is well executed, open to the public, pleasing to look at, and behaves properly, why shouldn't it be allowed?

You're assuming too much. Read the DMV link on the BM web ste. You might get answers to some of your questions.

BTW, there's no policy in place that outright bans any mutant vehicle. There are conditions to adhere to. Follow them and there won't be a problem.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:21 am

Thanks - I've read (and just about finished the application) the DMV page many times. I agree with the new rules this year.

I was reacting to the statements of others that "all the big vehciles are being banned this year" with Draka, the Whale, the Blue Shark, La Contessa, being mentioned. Some of these clearly violated rules last year, and justly should be banned. But others (like Draka) I was not aware of any violations. So I was wondering if there was a general policy being introduced. I am glad to hear that properly executed large vehicles still have a chance.

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Dork » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:56 am

I was reacting to the statements of others that "all the big vehciles are being banned this year" with Draka, the Whale, the Blue Shark, La Contessa, being mentioned.

I think there's only one person saying that. Over and over again, as if saying it enough times will make it true. Take everything you read on Eplaya with a grain of salt. Certain cars with histories are apparently being asked not to return, but I haven't heard of Draka being one of those and there's certainly no global banning of "big" vehicles.
Dork

Postby Simply Joel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:06 pm

"In fact, safety has no place anywhere. Everything that's fun in life is dangerous. Horse races, for instance, are very dangerous. But attempt to design a safe horse and the result is a cow (an appalling animal to watch at the trotters.) And everything that isn't fun is dangerous too. It is impossible to be alive and safe."
O'Rourke, P.J.
Simply Joel

Draka has not been banned!

Postby jewelz » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Only the Shark and the Contessa have been asked not to return.

Check out the DMV section of the Afterburn for more info on this subject.
http://afterburn.burningman.com/03/play ... y/dmv.html

cheers,
jewelz
BRC-DMV[/quote]
jewelz

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:54 am

Thanks Jewelz, accurate info is what I was looking for! regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Return to Politics & Philosophy