Good easy Shade setups

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Good easy Shade setups

Postby thesandman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Got a 2 person tent now I need to but a Shade set up next, the rei Alcove was talk about is will is lots of carports and tarps made in too shade structures, but I am looking for a fast and easy set up too cover my tent with 2 chairs out side all under the shade. don’t know if the 10’x10’ shade structures sold in the stores will be big enough cove me and my pale face lol
and thank you all for the help so far.
thesandman

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Im building my own shade. 12x30, but i lost the pics. Ill put up more when i finish my no mesh tent. Ill set everything up to test in the monsoons and take pics of the falure or sucsess.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 pm

When i set the shade up the first time it took 20 minutes.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby danibel » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm

NPPT. (North Pole Party Tent)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... biz2000-20

It can easily fit a small tent and some chairs. We had two card tables, my sister's 3-man tent, a twin futon, coolers, and chairs under ours last year. Make sure you use good stakes; military, rebar, deer fence rebar, something good!
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Snow » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm

a 10x10 will do for a small tent and not much more. Even then you want to add some side shade such as tarps etc. I use a carport for my tent and shaded chill space (with couch and table), it's not really that hard to set up with 2 people.
Snow

Postby turtlebird » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 am

MSR outfitter wing tarp... 200 sq ft... Kinda pricy, but it works really well in the high wind situations and it's really lightweight if you're flying in. I had mine staked out with playa staples last year and had no issues or worries about it flying away...

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents ... ng/product[/img]
turtlebird

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:36 am

Does anybody else feel that a "North Pole Party" involves eating a dog?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

or whale blubber...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby thesandman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am

Love too see how your set up holds figjam, was hopeing 10'x10 was ok but looks a bit small now looks like I need more feet
thesandman

Postby Elorrum » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

I used one of these set with lowest profile. worked fine until I got the North pole. it compresses down some in the wind, but springs back up after. I put a chair in the most windy corner, and sat there during a big blow. was fine.
only drag was having to continually duck down to get in and out. about 4.5-5 ft at highest opening the way I had it set up. nice headroom inside. You can find them under a hundred dollars online in various places. seen them under 60 dollars occasionally. Kelty, Abo Gear, Alps all make a similar model.
Elorrum

Postby Boijoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

I can't imgine a 10x10 not being large enough for a 2 person tent. ??
However, If you DO decide to go with an ezup or like.. look for one with a "silver" undercoating. It really does help with the radiant heat.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Elorrum » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Elorrum

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm

My shade set up for 2 people was simple. I got a huge silver tarp, drove over the edge of it, then flipped the shade over the roof of my Honda CRV. The large tarp gave us lots of shade.

To hold the tarp up, we added four six-foot tall PVC pipes (2 on both sides of the middle of the tarp, and 2 more at the ends of the tarp) inserted over rebar that was pounded into the ground, then added a few guylines to secure the PVC pipes. We hung a couple of full water bottles to the edges of the tarp "roof" to keep the flapping down.

Last time our 2 tents were not under the shade, but we did cover them with silver materials to help block the sun. This year we will try to rope together an additional tarp to the huge ass silver tarp to add more shade and put the tents underneath. This will probably mean adding two more PVC pipes for support, but it will be easy to do and worth having the tents under the shade for morning sleep-ins.
MoonSplash

Postby thesandman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm

that kelty looks good Elorrum, my target is my ill doom tent and 2 chairs that my work or figjam homemade one need to test, if its all white on all sides is that good or bad and dose it let to much light pass or not. like the solar lights too.
thesandman

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 01, 2010 7:47 am

I drive a small hatchback, and have little storage at home. Having a shelter that packs up as small as a tent was my priority. The light material isn't the darkest shade, but it's shade. Abo gear says theirs is UPF 50. Footprint is 12 by 12 at 8 feet high, more since it is stretched out to a low profile. over 6 feet still inside. I cap my rebar with the solar lights. This photo was 2007, big wind that year. I would monitor it during the wind, and by the end of the week, I had added a few more ropes so every entry point had some guyout to look out for. 2008 I added a 5 ft. steel t post on the windward edge so the rope wouldn't dip down to the ground collapsing the pole on that side. Putting chairs in the corners during the wind worked just as well. One pole did separate, the metal sleeve just split, tore a small hole in the material sleeve, but it still was o.k. When I got home I used some jb weld and ribbon to patch it back up, would consider pro-active reinforcement of the metal sleeves as they are not solid cylinders, but formed with an open seam. Bring something colorful to tie onto the ropes. I use the Kelty tripease line that is reflective at night.
Elorrum

Postby chris2010 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 am

turtlebird wrote:MSR outfitter wing tarp... 200 sq ft... Kinda pricy, but it works really well in the high wind situations and it's really lightweight if you're flying in. I had mine staked out with playa staples last year and had no issues or worries about it flying away...

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents ... ng/product[/img]

Thats the one thing that bothers me. I had been wondering how the high winds may affect the shade structures...
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Badawg » Sat May 01, 2010 3:58 pm

[quote="danibel"]NPPT. (North Pole Party Tent)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... biz2000-20

It can easily fit a small tent and some chairs. We had two card tables, my sister's 3-man tent, a twin futon, coolers, and chairs under ours last year. Make sure you use good stakes; military, rebar, deer fence rebar, something good![/quote]

How did it handle the wind? I bought one of those last year and used it for a local shindig. I like it a lot but didn't think it was playa ready...
Badawg

Postby EmilyD » Sat May 01, 2010 4:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:or whale blubber...

Or each other?
EmilyD

Postby thesandman » Sat May 01, 2010 5:17 pm

my next thing to ask is how small dose the North pole party tent pack down too and how easy the set up hoping don’t have to put it up solo but if i do i will.
thesandman

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 pm

viewtopic.php?t=30668
There are a few threads on this with answers as well as commerce sites that give dimensions and weights. I got mine on overstock.com
Elorrum

Postby Badawg » Sat May 01, 2010 10:42 pm

The north pole fits in a large black duffle bag about 4 feet long and 16" thick.
Badawg

Postby thesandman » Sat May 01, 2010 10:44 pm

thank you for the info Elorrum and Badawg
thesandman

Postby thesandman » Sun May 02, 2010 1:13 am

Looks like the North pole party tent is good, but hope to see a pix of figjams rig after a wind test, i will use the 12" G.I. Tent Stake to be safe and a bit of 550 paracord too trying to fig do i keep my small dome tent inside to keep it cool or outside next to it .
thesandman

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 9:20 am

The wind is 10 to 15mph this mourning and suppose to gust to 45mph today so TESTING TESTING........

took about an hour to set up by myself. 12x30 tarp, two 13ft poles, two 7ft poles, four 6 1/2ft 1in conduit (for the elliot uprights at the back of the bed) 9 rebar stakes to ancore the end of the tarp, ball bungees, carbiners, and rope. Set everything up then inched the truck forward to tighten everything up. Added gorilla tape over ALL the grommets to reiforce and may thread mule tape through these for overkill. Depends on how it acts in the wind today................FIGJAM.................Everything but the poles fit in a duffle bag. This could be scaled up or down to meet your needs.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 am

Ok, its been about 3 hours and the wind is kicking up pretty good now...

i tied a piece of vinyl so you can see hoe much wind is blowing....

so far so good. I think the wind is about 25mph.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I havent finished the tent yet, but it will go between the poles that hold up the end of the tarp.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Right now theres only 3 stakes holding the tarp down.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun May 02, 2010 5:23 pm

It now after 5pm with guts to 40mph. Its supposed to be windier over night so well see, so far so good. Any one see any weak spots i might have missed?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EmilyD » Sun May 02, 2010 5:45 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Right now theres only 3 stakes holding the tarp down.

FIGJAM did you make these or buy them with that nice little hook at the end?
EmilyD

Postby Sham » Sun May 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Home Depot sells lengths of rebar for your tent tying enjoyment. I think they have 18" pieces that you can bring to a welder and have "candy caned" on one end. It take about a minute to do, and if you are nice to the welder dude, he may not even charge you. Another hot tip is to paint the candy caned end bright orange so some unsuspecting camper doesn't kill themselves on it. I also have the sharp edges ground down nice and smooth and a point put on the bottom to make pounding easy. If someone walks into it, at least the won't slice open themselves.

Remember, rebar is your friend! :D
Sham

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping