The Green Hour

The Green Hour

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, in light of the Van Gogh incident, please do not lend us your ear.

In '05 we were the Infinite Improbability Root Beer Saloon. (3:30 Amnesia)
This year the root beer will be colder, the absinthe -way- better, and with any luck we won't explode or plow through your camp.

If your camp or event could use a visit by a rolling, rumbling and wholly unstable steampunky absinthe and root beer engine, shoot us a note.

http://www.damnnearwiley.com/TheGreenHour
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 am

I could go for a pan galactic gargle blaster...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 am

It's like being drunk.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:It's like being drunk.

From the perspective of the drink...

People asked us for Pan Galactics so we'd give them undistilled Green Devil absinthe with root beer in it. The playa dust sediment helped mask the bitterness and confusion your body feels when it's trying to simultaneously swallow and vomit. We'd try to warn 'em, but, if you ever wanted to know what it's like to suck the marrow from a corpse floating in a coffin filled with warm, root beer, we could offer that perspective.

I have solemnly vowed not to do that anymore. To quote Nigel Tufnel, "Too much fucking perspective." This year you'll get a strawberry panty dropper instead.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Ask a glass of water.
Ugly Dougly

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Please, please tell me that the steam traction engine on your webpage is your mode of transport for this magical thing. If we, upon The Contraption, see you we will come and visit.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

That is… assuming it isn’t all just a mirage.
LeChatNoir

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:12 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Please, please tell me that the steam traction engine on your webpage is your mode of transport for this magical thing. If we, upon The Contraption, see you we will come and visit.

I wish. If it was, I probably couldn't get a permit to operate it on the playa. I imagine the ruts would be brutal, but, there was an actual Case traction engine out there one year, wasn't there?

Ours will be a replica--or at least directly inspired by the one on the webpage--but I can say that the powerplant has pulled my jeep. Scale will depend on the size of the wheels we can acquire or build.

Looking forward to seeing The Contraption!
ZaphodBurner

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:28 am

Come by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. Please! We love the green fairie. Cold, straight out of the bottle. Mmmmmm. Absinthe.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am

LeChatNoir wrote:That is… assuming it isn’t all just a mirage.

In this particular stretch of enchanted desert, all mirages are real.
Ugly Dougly

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:I wish. If it was, I probably couldn't get a permit to operate it on the playa. I imagine the ruts would be brutal, but, there was an actual Case traction engine out there one year, wasn't there?

Kinetic Steam Works had theirs on the playa in 07 I think. She was pulling Neverwas Haul around and it was a beautiful sight. They had rubber plates on the steel wheels to not dig into the playa. It seemed to work well.

Ours will be a replica--or at least directly inspired by the one on the webpage--but I can say that the powerplant has pulled my jeep. Scale will depend on the size of the wheels we can acquire or build

I can't say I blame you. Just getting a steam engine to the playa would be an undertaking of monstrous proportions, not to mention the finicky task of keeping it running and serviced.

I found a place in the Missouri that has a bunch of large steel wheels, even some traction engine wheels, but shipping to Portland would be a booger and they're best to look at in person due to the nature of old rusty things. Seems like you could fab up some that looked pretty good, and probably incorporate high quality bearings easier as well. Please feel free to post your progress in the Contraption thread... if you want that is. I know folks would love to see what you're making.
LeChatNoir

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:02 pm

The Green Hour has been placed in the 9:00 Plaza (11:00)

The machine, Aemma, has received a DMV approval, and the faint scent of hyssop, fennel and a.absinthium linger in the air as I write.

time to get tight and do knife tricks!
-c
artemisia ex machina!
ZaphodBurner

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YohXc9x6cUU[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:12 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:The Green Hour has been placed in the 9:00 Plaza (11:00)

The machine, Aemma, has received a DMV approval, and the faint scent of hyssop, fennel and a.absinthium linger in the air as I write.

time to get tight and do knife tricks!
-c
artemisia ex machina!

Yeah! Yeah!

(jumps up and down clapping paws with delight)

What ever will this machine look like? How will we know?
LeChatNoir

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:14 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
(jumps up and down clapping paws with delight)

What ever will this machine look like? How will we know?

Whythankyou!

I found a pair of 45" antique wood-spoke wagon wheels and we decided to make it a tricycle, with the two large wheels upfront and a trailing rear-wheel (like a tail-dragger airplane). So, it'll be the only steampunky wagon-wheeled tricycle in the 9 o'clock plaza... probably.

Hooked up a pair of 24v motor/gearbox/wheel assemblies where the rear wheel would go, minus steering, connected a 36v batteries and it sprung to life briefly, but now I'm looking for 12" sprockets with a 2" bore to drive the big wheels. That's kind of a custom deal but I have a lead. At least I'm now reasonably confident that the motors will produce enough torque to push it.

I'll post pictures. Right now it looks like an unpainted donkey cart but when I laid a piece of 14" dia PVC pipe on it, the neighbors all thought I was making a cannon.

Cheers! Getting excited...

=c
ZaphodBurner

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:57 pm

I've had good luck finding affordable sprockets and pulleys from this place right here.

45" wood spoke wheels... nice.
LeChatNoir

Update

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Formula of the hour:

L=2c+(N/2)+(n/2)+(((N-n)/2Pi)^2/C)

13" sprockets rock!
ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 am

Update:

In a strange twist of events, a bottle of uncolored absinthe was inadvertently dumped over a batch of strawberries, instead of the vodka intended for the concoction. The result is spectacular. Ask the Green Hour bartender for a sample.

The neighbors are no longer convinced I'm building a cannon, but the addition of compressed air and a vodka carousel have caused them no less alarm.

Aemma is alive and rumbles around the grass, powerful but a bit unruly. More specifically, she'll try to kill you. I managed to ground-loop her today. A bit like breaking in a horse. Time to lower the voltage...

[/img]
ZaphodBurner

this reminds me of the chico, ca classic... Jaeger Barrel

Postby FATCAMP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am

1 part jaeger, 1 part rootbeer schnapps, top off with rootbeer...epic classic and cheaper than absinthe...
FATCAMP

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 am

"1 part jaeger, 1 part rootbeer schnapps, top off with rootbeer...epic classic and cheaper than absinthe..."

Thanks for the recipe!

Not sure what Jaeger costs shot for shot. It costs me about $40/gallon to make absinthe.

Miss Sharon gave the DPW a gallon of strawberry absinthe on our way out. I don't think she told them what it was or how to prepare it. Hopefully nobody died.
ZaphodBurner

Postby FATCAMP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 pm

haha soak and stir absinthe? or do you actually distill it?
I can't drink in class, so I dip hop cones ftw
FATCAMP

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 pm

FATCAMP wrote:haha soak and stir absinthe? or do you actually distill it?

There is no such thing as soak and stir absinthe. (a la Green Devil, which, by the way, uses food coloring in the second maceration.)

If it's not distilled, it's not absinthe. Neither is the czech crap that tastes like somebody mixed cheap booze and Jolly Ranchers, regarldess of how bitter it is.

In Oregon, you can get a distiller's license for $100/yr. and grow most of the herbs in your backyard. I can't remember how many gallons we served in the 9 o'clock plaza, but nobody complained.
ZaphodBurner

Postby FATCAMP » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 pm

thats bad ass I wish we had a license like that in cali or nv...relax I know what real absinthe is...I've been ordering jade, duplias and cladestine since I was a freshman in highschool...then in college I began researching...started brewing freshman year...then started an all out fermentation war zone of anything fermentable...upgraded to all grain in the second month...then had my steel 3 tier made...then junior year of college I researched and learned to distill...last summer I distilled for a winery and worked the vineyards...id mean to get ya wound up...I just run into a lot of amateur green devil folk...

My recipe isn't traditional because traditional is boring...i try to give mine sweet citrus hues by coloring with hops, orange peel, and stevia
I can't drink in class, so I dip hop cones ftw
FATCAMP

Return to 2010 Theme Camps