Seattle Burners Looking for Cheap Transport Options

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Seattle Burners Looking for Cheap Transport Options

Postby Aneurysm_Man » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Hey all,

So Gypsy Art Camp is in a bit of a bind this year. With Burn Green Express gone, and our sole vehicle being sold, GAC is trying to figure out some sort of affordable transportation solution to get to and from the playa this year.

So far we've looked into renting a van or small RV, and it seems that no matter what company we look at, the total cost always ends up averaging about $2000 before gas. Even with this total divided between the 3 of us, it's still too costly.

Does anyone out there know of some cheaper transportation solutions around the Seattle area that we can look into?

Many Thanks,

Justin
"I want to be sincere and passionate, but I also want to have fun and act like a dork."

--Kurt Cobain
Aneurysm_Man

Postby whaleboy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm

try to find someone who wants their RV delivered to the playa for them. We did that one year. It was great except for the part when bot the brakes and the transmission failed simultaneously going down a mountain in the sierras. After the event. Raodside RV camping woohoo!
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Postby pinemom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 am

Geeze for 2-3K you could just buy a Travel trailer....used on CL.

Then offer to borrow someones truck for 2 weeks with you paying their full coverage insurance for the whole month.

win win...either you re-sale the travel trailer after you get back for the same amount or keep it as an investment and your problems are solved for the next burn too.

We use our travel trailer as a guest room during the off months...works terrific!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby whaleboy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 am

overwinter storage, storage, storage.... Always the trouble for us east coasters.
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 am

Go west young man!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 pm

What sites were you looking for the vans on? Were you looking at mini vans or full sized. We reserved ours and I think it came to less than 800 before gas.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 am

Enterprise rented us a cargo van last year for either 9 or 10 days for about . . . $600, not including gas, which was about $200 total. It had two seats and more than enough room for two girls' gear. Might be a little more $ for a van with another row of seats to seat a third person, and the packing would have to be mindful.

I have noted that U-Haul has vans, but I don't know what their rates are like.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dubz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 am

[quote="pinemom"]

Then offer to borrow someones truck for 2 weeks with you paying their full coverage insurance for the whole month.
[/quote]

Offer to borrow someone's truck to take to Burning Man in exchange for, in my case, $75 of insurance? Yea, right.

The amount of wear and tear put on a vehicle going to, and while at, Burning Man, is plenty enough if I am going. I would never want my vehicle going unless it was transporting me and my gear.

When borrowing your friends truck, be sure to let them know it will never be the same again. The dust will NEVER be completely gone. And most likely some douchebag greeter with walk up your hood and onto your roof, cracking your windshield and denting the hood and roof. Resulting in a few hundreds of dollars in damage.
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Return to Transportation