Frequently Asked Questions: Look here first.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Enable bbcode on your profile and posts, so the features work.
Everything should work in preview.

I suggest enabling email too.

You should be able to edit this post and fix the quotes too.
gyre

Postby DesertRat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Done. Didn't realize phpBB had that stuff off by default
DesertRat

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I thought they fixed that.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 am

DesertRat wrote:Can I use this same system for getting rid of charcoal ashes or can they be dumped directly into burn barrels? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new
Pack them out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
DesertRat wrote:Can I use this same system for getting rid of charcoal ashes or can they be dumped directly into burn barrels? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm new
Pack them out.

Yep - what fishy said. I have switched over to portable gas barbecue because I nearly set my trailer on fire one year by packing up charcoal ashes that were still a little too warm. (Started smelling melting plastic bag). You should also take home some of the ashes from the burn platform - but they really are much easier to pack out than bag loads of paper. Either mix in a little grey water or bring a small metal receptacle for ashes.
Mojojita

Postby DesertRat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm bringing a propane grill but I'm also gonna smoke a bunch of ribs and charcoal is required in the smoker. I'll bring a metal can.
DesertRat

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Mmmmmm....ribs........

Two things I have always been tempted to do on playa is roasted corn on the cob and ribs - but both generate a lot of trash that has to be hauled back out. Not a big problem for feeding small groups but since I cook for about 30, the trash generated is a bigger issue.
Mojojita

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 am

Mojojita wrote:Mmmmmm....ribs........

Two things I have always been tempted to do on playa is roasted corn on the cob and ribs - but both generate a lot of trash that has to be hauled back out. Not a big problem for feeding small groups but since I cook for about 30, the trash generated is a bigger issue.

Seems that'd generate no trash, because you can throw it all in a fire.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 am

have you seen anyone eat corn on the cob? That stuff is MESSY

specially if you add butter and salt and pepper..../drool
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:51 am

Rub with bacon fat then roast. No butter or salt needed........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 am

I ment drippings. sorry

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby wraith » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:28 am

Yeah, but you'd have to either clean all that corn at home, which really kills it in high heat without the husks and silk to keep the moisture in, or deal with all that lovely MOOP that'll float forever on a good wind.

On the other hand, if you cut it off the cob at home, toss it into a ziplock with an 1/8 c of sugar-water or so and flat freeze it, you can use it as tasty, tasty ice blocks. :D
wraith

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Mojojita wrote:Mmmmmm....ribs........

Seems that'd generate no trash, because you can throw it all in a fire.

Likely could burn the corn cob trash but the rib bones not so much - may be worth it anyway 'cause I have really great recipes for both.
Mojojita

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:51 pm

couldn't you just whip up a quick little crematory?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:couldn't you just whip up a quick little crematory?

There's a sick idea for a Metropolis art project.....
Mojojita

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 am

Ok. Picking up billboard vinyl today in phx. Going to try to make my own nomash tent. Has anyone tried this?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 am

Sorry cont spill. Read no mesh.......lol

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 am

FIGJAM wrote:Ok. Picking up billboard vinyl today in phx. Going to try to make my own nomash tent. Has anyone tried this?

We make tarps from it. You can heat it to meld the seams, or you can sew it. Takes grommets well. It will fray and tear is subjected to rubbing against a hard object or sharp corner. Cuts easily with scissors. Wash the pigeon shit off first, lay it out, use a hose and a stiff bristle pushbroom.

We're having more and more difficulties acquiring the vinyls in our area. Partly because advertising is down, and partly because the hay farmers scoop it up. Used to get them for free ten years ago, now they're $40+ when we can find one. Used to be able to gift out sections, but just don't have enough to share anymore.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:02 am

Its from clear channel and he didnt mention money. Ive read your posts on this topic and its what made up my mind. The tent will look like a big pup tent . 6ft on each side of the triangle then 8ft long.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:16 am

We'll want pictures!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:03 am

If you have room for the supports, perhaps an arched linear space?
This allows use of rectangular material, except at the ends.

Works better in wind than a peaked roof, other than the lift factor.

Poles can be straight most of the way and then arch at the top, or have a shallow bend on the sides.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 am

Ok. what i got for 20 bucks is 15x48 unused billboard vinyl (miss print so never installed). Ill cut a piece 19ft long and fold lengthwise. Inside the fold a length of 2500 pound pull mule tape with a loop at each end. Glue this seam with the tape inside. This is the peek of the triangle. Overlap the opposite end and glue across that seam.Thats the middle of the floor. Suspend this by the loops in the first seam and pull the sides out to make the bottom corners of of the triangle. Glue those corner seams with mule tape inside like the first fold. Glue a triangle in each end to close it up. Two zippers angled down from the top for the door. Two shorter zippers inside with a pice of shade cloth glued over the outside for the window that can be closed. Same window settup in the other end. suspend the peak from the struts on the shade structure, stake the corners and i will have a no pole no mesh bedroom. FIGJAM........LOL

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:52 am

Floor dimention 6x8

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 pm

This is the terrible drawing

Image[/img]

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dubz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Q: What is a great way to keep my food and drink cool, as well as not have any funky cooler water to deal with?

A: Use frozen water bottles instead of ice! I usually do a bunch of 1 or 1.5 liter bottles, that I have been saving over the year and refill. You need to start freezing them well in advance, and possibly borrow freezer space from friends/family.

As far as Keeping everything frozen? When I went in 2007, and did our mini-kitchen at Disorient, we ended up with a great refrigeration system. I believe we had 3 coolers total. There was one MASSIVE one, and two large ones. One was a refigerator, the other two were freezers. One of the two large ones was a refrigerator, and was kept cold with various sizes of frozen water bottles. The other two were kept frozen with dry ice an frozen water bottles. The dry ice which was around the 4 sides and on the bottom, kept both water bottles and food frozed. We had Popsicles still frozen on Friday, and we arrived Saturday morning! At some point during the week, around Thursday, we transformed one of the two freezers into another refrigerator. So, as long as someone was keeping track ofthe status of the cooling system, it worked really well!

I liked this system because it kept us going most of the week, for a mini-camp of 12 plus guests. It put no additional strainon the camps electrical system, and did not cost that much. Also, having those ice cold water bottles throughout the week is clutch!! Keep in mind dry ice is damaging to the skin, so RESEARCH dry ice SAFETY before you go this route. We wrapped each piece of dry ice in grocery bags to avoid it coming in contact with flesh. You can also extend cold-life by creating a cooler cozy, and raising it off the ground a little bit.

Also, MozyBonz, I don't really think it is appropriate to call a young woman who is planning on going to the Burn alone sexy, especially when she is inquiring as to her safety at said event. If it were me, I would have been very put off by that. Just sayin....
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Fig, do I understand this will be in a shade area?
If so, the heavy vinyl is overkill.
Will work though.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

dubz wrote:Q: What is a great way to keep my food and drink cool, as well as not have any funky cooler water to deal with?

A: Use frozen water bottles instead of ice! I usually do a bunch of 1 or 1.5 liter bottles, that I have been saving over the year and refill. You need to start freezing them well in advance, and possibly borrow freezer space from friends/family.

As far as Keeping everything frozen? When I went in 2007, and did our mini-kitchen at Disorient, we ended up with a great refrigeration system. I believe we had 3 coolers total. There was one MASSIVE one, and two large ones. One was a refigerator, the other two were freezers. One of the two large ones was a refrigerator, and was kept cold with various sizes of frozen water bottles. The other two were kept frozen with dry ice an frozen water bottles. The dry ice which was around the 4 sides and on the bottom, kept both water bottles and food frozed. We had Popsicles still frozen on Friday, and we arrived Saturday morning! At some point during the week, around Thursday, we transformed one of the two freezers into another refrigerator. So, as long as someone was keeping track ofthe status of the cooling system, it worked really well!

I liked this system because it kept us going most of the week, for a mini-camp of 12 plus guests. It put no additional strainon the camps electrical system, and did not cost that much. Also, having those ice cold water bottles throughout the week is clutch!! Keep in mind dry ice is damaging to the skin, so RESEARCH dry ice SAFETY before you go this route. We wrapped each piece of dry ice in grocery bags to avoid it coming in contact with flesh. You can also extend cold-life by creating a cooler cozy, and raising it off the ground a little bit.

Also, MozyBonz, I don't really think it is appropriate to call a young woman who is planning on going to the Burn alone sexy, especially when she is inquiring as to her safety at said event. If it were me, I would have been very put off by that. Just sayin....

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.................will he respond?.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm waiting for this one to get good, also.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes gyre. I will hook the peak of the tent to the uprights of my shade. You were the insperation for a no mesh tent that would cost less than $100. The vinyl is about the same waight as grey tarp but much stronger,and the hh-66 vinyl glue isnt coming apart so i dont have to sew it. I tested it on a piece and cant pull it apart. Good to 170 degrees. $20 for billboard vinyl, $15 for glue, mule tape was free, gotta get zippers, but ive not spent $50 yet........FIGJAM?...........

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I kept the design simple cause im lazy. I dont think something has to be complicated to be strong and fuctional.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks