How do I transport water

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

How do I transport water

Postby thesandman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Hello to every one I am new at this hole thing being a virgin burner
1st thing to ask is what is a good way to transport water like a Coleman collapsible water containers or the 5 gal cans that look like a gas can and fill them up on arriving in Reno o and sorry for my bad typing I text more then type LOL
thesandman

Postby danibel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Last year was my first year, and my sister and I took about 45 gallons for the two of us. We had two 5 gallon containers ( the kind that go on a dispenser ) to refill our solar shower (which we also filled up with tap water before we left). We had about five or six 2.5 gallon containers for cooking and refilling water bottles. The rest were in single gallons *WITH SCREW TOP LIDS*. The shower water evap'd but our graywater (from washing dishes and such) was funneled back into the screw top lid gallons and transported home to be poured down the drain. We ended up having a lot left over, but that was fine. I would much rather have more than not enough.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby phil » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:34 pm

It's up to you. Louise and I buy the 2.5 gallon water boxes at supermarkets around our home because we live in earthquake country and we expect to lose our water. Then we haul them to Burning Man over the Sierras. But we also bring collapsible plastic containers and one 5 gallon jerry can. We fill those at our motel before we leave for the playa.

This was we cycle through our stored water. There's no one best way that I know of. Remember that water weighs about 8.5 lbs per gallon - 5 gallons is over 40 lbs. If that's moving around in your vehicle, it can cause stability problems, and if you're trying to pick it up to wet your toothbrush, that's gonna get old.
phil

Postby Thecatman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 pm

A question like that you're bound to get 50,000 opinions.
For just myself, I take five cases of distilled water at six gallons each =30 gallons. They fit nicely in the back of my p/u truck.
I choose distilled primarly because if I experience cooling/radiator/blown heater hose issuses while traveling to and from the playa.
It's potable and can also be used for bathing.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby danibel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:56 pm

That's funny. We didn't even consider the weight of the water! LOL Newbies. I swear. I was much more concerned with staying cool/warm/shaded/fed/hydrated. The fact that water weighs so damn much never entered my mind. At least we were smart enough to bring it in all different sized containers. Not just 5 gallons! That would really suck.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Thecatman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Thats true
Thirty gallons is almost another 300 lbs....like two people riding with me
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby thesandman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I well being taking just a enough water for me and hope too use wet wipes and ziplock bags too minimizes my gray water and waste so well 15 gal work for 1 person be engoug or I am I being a noob in hopeing that and thank you for your help so far
thesandman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am

Check out that survival guide again and then give consideration to how you think you will use water on the playa.

I bring 2.5 gallons a day for my use in the big 5 gallon water dispenser jugs that you can get at home depot for $10. You get 5 bucks back when you return the jug.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:37 am

Ah, burners. All ready and willing to help you with your virgin hole thing.
C.f.M.

Postby ConnieH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 am

we brought 2 of those blue 7 gallon water containers with the spigot, which we filled up in Lovelock at a friend's store. Those 14 gallons, plus random bottles of electrolite drinks, kept the two of us hydrated and clean for the week. Granted, the only cooking we did was dehydrated backpacking meals (no dishes to wash or toss), and we only showered once mid-week, so our water use outside of drinking is very low. Everyone's different, so it's best to err on the side of caution and bring more than you think you'll need, especially if you aren't used to the hot, dry desert like we are.

And when you are considering weight, don't forget the alcohol you bring - it also gets heavy, especially when you're bringing extra for the bar ;) We bought our liquor in Winnemucca to minimize the mileage with all the extra weight.
ConnieH

Postby thesandman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:53 am

It's a good thing I am from Arizona with the days that get to 110+,
and il stop saying I have a virgen burner hole bad C.F.M :)
thesandman

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 pm

PhoENIX rep'zent!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Dork » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 pm

No need to over complicate things. Pick up a bunch of 2.5 gallon jugs in Reno or Fernley on your way to the event. The big grocery stores and *marts stock up on them for burners passing through. Pack them as close to the lower middle of your vehicle as you can but don't get too obsessive about it.
Dork

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Yea....I second Dork's method. I alter it a bit and buy a couple cases of one quart water.

Ilike those because they are easy to handle, etc. I use the bulk water for cooking and showering,etc.

You're on the right track if you do that in Reno for sure.

Also, for the ride out, keep in mind you can pour out clean water on the playa if you spread it around a bit. No need to haul any extra home with you as long as it's clean and you're not mucking up the neighborhood.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm another for the suitcases. 2.5 is something I can handle one-handed.

I have heard of someone making boxes of water, like those wine boxes, which has some advantages, they are good for two years, instead of six months, and they are burnable? compostable? recyclable? Okay, easier to dispose of. But since I have no idea where to buy them, the suitcase wins out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 pm

I had a whole mix of stuff...

One 7 gal giant gerry can, I mostly used that for washing and filling my camelbak
10 gallons of those 2.5 gal jugs in the boxes, which I didn't even open.
Two gallons of gatorade, what I mostly drank
About 24 small water bottles I froze, and used to keep the beer cold.
Lots of beer/soda.

I had too much at the end of the week. I'm going to scale back a bit this year, but better to have too much than not enough.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby thesandman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 pm

so looks like i need about 15 gal water 2 gal of gatorade and 2 gal of Jack Daniel’s and mixer :wink:
thesandman

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:56 am

Luggage tips:

I usually store my water jugs amidships in my car. The reason I put them in the centre of the car is because water is probably the heaviest thing you'll be toting and it will balance the load. If you're pulling a trailer, do the same, for the same reasons: Put all your water jugs in the middle of the vehicle, whether it's towing or towed.

Pro-tip II: DO NOT put them in the roof rack. They're blocky, heavy, and could explode from all the sun beating down on them. Put your solar lanterns in the roof load, not the water. You don't want to get to the Playa and found you've lost one-third to half your water because the jugs popped. "Pop" means the seals around the lids. Putting water in the roof rack also makes you top-heavy and there's some nasty winds and winding curves on the way to the Playa: recipe for rollover.

Pro-tip III: Water is crucial. They won't let you in unless you have enough water for your group, even if you have a ticket. #1 priority, don't skimp on the water. Everything else can be worked around and toggled with. Trust me, you'll find something to do with it :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Transporting Water

Postby Rommel » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 am

If you have one gallon jugs of water, place them in the corners
of your tent to provide extra stability in the wind; it helps when
the wind really kicks up.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 am

If you were good, you'd carry your water in spoons, without spilling it.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby thesandman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 pm

thanks for the help sounds looks like best plan is a mix of 2.5 gal and 1 gal jugs adding to 18 to stay safe i well be getting a ride theirs so trying to keep it simple and safe if thats possible
thesandman

Postby gypsy68 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:19 pm

They have the gallon bottles that are a bit squarer in shape. I buy enough to fit in the bottom of my ice chest. I freeze them (remembering to pour a little water out). I can usually fit 3 in the bottom of the ice chest I have.
Not only does it help to keep things cold in the ice chest, but I have ice cold water to drink. For the rest of my water, I figure out what will pack in my little car the best, and buy those sizes.
The other thing I have done is buy the water coolers with the spigot. I can then buy ice, and let it melt in the cooler.
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby much2naughty2 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:19 am

Water is one of the advantages of an RV, I fill my 120 water tank, then in place of the ATVs in my toy hauler, I'm bringing two 55 gallon potable water barrels. What better gift to a thirsty person than a drink of water. They appreciate it, haul it away, and dispose of it. win-win situation.
much2naughty2

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:57 am

A teaspoon is traditional.

An eyedropper will do.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:38 am

Please bring your own watertruck.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:A teaspoon is traditional.

An eyedropper will do.

I stand corrected. An eyedropper would be much more dust-resistant!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Mojojita » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Every time I see the name of this thread, I think..."In a bucket dear Liza, dear Liza,......"
Mojojita

Postby Badawg » Mon May 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Old hands hint...

Solid water is available on site. it's called "ice". You buy it at arctica and carry it back to camp, but instead of just tossing it the cooler with the old balogna and cheese floating around, cut the top off a 2 1/2 gallon jug, put that in the cooler, and pour the ice in there. Then when it melts you have clean water to drink, or wash your hair or... Super Soakers!
Badawg

Postby thesandman » Mon May 03, 2010 10:13 pm

someone told me that the ice was not %100 ok to drink may need to mix it with lots of vodka or whisky :)
thesandman

Postby EmilyD » Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 am

thesandman wrote:someone told me that the ice was not %100 ok to drink may need to mix it with lots of vodka or whisky :)

We always travel with one of these to help filter whatever:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=13346097

I wouldn't use it on grey water, but you could filter melted ice that didn't touch any meat products and then drink it probably.
EmilyD

Next

Return to Food & Drink