Does La Contessa's Banishment from BM = Bush Re-election?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby electrolux » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:08 pm

wasn't the plan to light the fucker on fire at the end of '02 anyway?

Maybe, but the plan probably didn't call for them to be still building the fucker on wednesday of '02, which they were.
electrolux

Postby I_Hate_La_Contessa » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:59 pm

Are those a-holes from LA?
Seems like it, no?
I mean, didn't they basically get a free ride from BMOrg.
And a free spot on the Ranch.
I heard Larry did all the REAL work on that HUNK OF CRAP!
Burning that Bitch makes it too much like "The Man"
Which, I think, is the most dangerous thing out on the Playa.
Come on! They burn that thing too the ground, and you can get as close as 200 yards.
Feel the heat!
Experience the danger!
Be a REAL BURNER!!!
Like me......................................
Yea, what he said: Those guys SUCK!!
I_Hate_La_Contessa

Postby KellY » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Hey WSPR/SB, stick to your own goddamn threads. Or is that Dirtytuba in WSPR drag?
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby dirtytuba » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:59 pm

KellY wrote:Hey WSPR/SB, stick to your own goddamn threads. Or is that Dirtytuba in WSPR drag?

Dirty Tuba don't play like that.
dirtytuba

Postby Tancorix » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Thanks for the great example of sock puppetry for the ETF meeting Thursday night. If anyone was curious how it's done, there's nothing like a fresh example to show 'em.
Tancorix

Come On Guys!

Postby I_Hate_La_Contessa » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:46 pm

Come on guys!!
What happened to all the Contessa bashing?
It was going along so well.
We could have a camp together next year,
and sit around talking about how much better it
is without that stupid boat.
OR
We could sit around and talk about who we want to
Ban Next!
Those A-holes just aren't worthy like WE are.
US, the REAL burners.
Cause, come on, we paid our $ and now we want
free reign of all that is Burningman.
Don't those Contessa jerks get that?
WE PAID, WE PLAY
Who cares what THEY think.
I wanna know what you think!
I think I'd rather shit myself than have to be
afraid to go on the open playa.
Which I was with the Contessa out there.

Signed,
I Hate La Contessa!
Yea, what he said: Those guys SUCK!!
I_Hate_La_Contessa

Postby stuart » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:45 pm

look, you can argue the merit of the speed limit if you want but we currently have one. Any asshole driving something that size over 20mph is selling out the rest of us. Plain and simple.

Now, I am sorry if you are afraid that you will no longer be able to feel cool and mighty w/o yer friends buddies boat. Try being a hanger on in some camp that built something stationary and super cool to recapture that magic feeling of superiority.

For my part, I will miss the sight of the big boat. I will not miss the attitude that came with it though.
stuart

Postby Badger » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:12 pm

I'd submit; is there a better example of a troll than I_Hate_La_Contessa's current rant?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby stuart » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:30 pm

one man's troll is another man's fodder for time killing while waiting for renders.
stuart

burn it is the keyword

Postby dj big E » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:59 pm

lmao burn it burn it makes me tingly just to think about. lmao
dj big E

confussed

Postby dirtytuba » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:40 am

I'm confussed. if the purpose of a speed limit is to keep everyone safe. why, then, is everything burnt? isn't that unsafe?
dirtytuba

Postby Badger » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:02 pm

Your logic tree needs to be watered.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

burning is good

Postby dj big E » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:23 pm

burning is good good for the soul!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: lmao
dj big E

Postby Gizmo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:31 pm

Maybe they could flat-top it and turn it into an aircraft carrier?
It's not because I'm old. Your music actually does suck.
Gizmo

Postby dirtytuba » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:59 pm

Gizmo wrote:Maybe they could flat-top it and turn it into an aircraft carrier?

I don't think any airplane would be able to land on it since the contessa travels so fast.
dirtytuba

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:01 pm

Gizmo wrote:Maybe they could flat-top it and turn it into an aircraft carrier?

Me tinks the Gizmo is getting old. I rode one of those oil tankers- turned carrier. I'm not brand knew.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby cowboyangel » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:30 pm

crash the thing into the thunderdome at the end and burn it
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

la contessa

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:38 pm

there will be no la contess this year. They also banned Draka the dragon, and flashes whale. In other words, there will be NO large scale art cars out there this year. Burning Man has become an expensive party with too many rules. Has become? wait I think its been that for a while. THere is just going to be less surreal artcars....
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:40 pm

oh yeah- they are not from LA. They come from Oaktown biotch! And no one will build anything half as beautiful and strange to take its place. Time to start something new!
chickenfish

Postby stuart » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:34 pm

enjoy your time in europe or brazil CF. I will enjoy mine on the playa. As far as la contessa goes, I think you are on track when you say nothing as beautiful will ever be built. While I would not go quite that far, never say never afterall, I do think it was rather iconic and gorgeous. Still, I will not miss the cracked out fuck(s) who drove it around at ultra high speeds nor the attitude of some of it's attendees.

Please, let me know if you find a spot near Rio where they condone that kind of behavior.
stuart

cracked out crackers

Postby chickenfish » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:44 pm

i dont' condone that type of behaviour, nor the recklessness that I witnessed with some of the other large scale art cars, such as the shark or the whale....that being said though, if I'm gonna spend time building a replica of a pirate ship that looks badass, then goddammit I'm gonn a have a fucking blast driving it around, and I would certainly put my hard work and sweat into it. And I probably would be just as protective over it, as every yahoo with a $200 ticket thinks they have the right to party on it without putting in the time....I think the sort of energy that drives people to do something of this magnitude is gone from BM....as BM kicks out the talented artists that make these creations, their are less artists and more $200 yahoos filling the event. I've noticed over the last 5 years as the event has slowly become less of an artfest and more of a yahoo fest. In the end it is going to be one huge frat party in the desert. I'll file my report from rio when I return. over and out. :D
chickenfish

Postby stuart » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:59 pm

grrr, the shark

while I am not creating anything as beautiful as la contessa, I will have spent over 400 man hours and over 2,000 processor hours on my project by the time I hit the playa. I don't feel the org kicking me in the butt. I have not been going as long as you have so I will, to a degree, defer to your observations. I will note one of my own however, burning man is always changing. If you loved the BM of, say, 96 and felt particularly emotionally invested in that experience and state of the festival I could see why you would be bitter about it's state now.

I wonder what our respective opinions would be if in the early '90s BM existed as it did now and evolved to present day to be like it was in, say, '94. Evolving in reverse as it were. What perspective would we have. How would we feel about the event, the org..

hmmm, perhaps I ought to start a new thread...
stuart

been there done that

Postby chickenfish » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:34 pm

Last year there were several first timers with us, who were totally blown away and fell in love with the event. This is how I felt the first time I went. It was that energy that made me come back the next year and each consecutive year with more stuff, and a larger and larger camp. Until it felt like the work involved outweighed the experience. But those were some the best moments, and the playa is a beautiful and magical place. I believe all of those first timers will be back this year, and maybe for more years to come until they too are through with it. and so it goes. Stuart, have a wonderful time on the playa this year, and good luck with your project.
CF
chickenfish

Postby stuart » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:57 pm

enjoy your travels. If I project into the future I think I might see myself in a place where I feel as you do. As I said before, I am a little behind.
stuart

Re: la contessa

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:39 pm

chickenfish wrote:there will be no la contess this year. They also banned Draka the dragon, and flashes whale.

That's sad! I can see banning the contessa it was a beautiful as it was too fast for the playa. it did have too many blind spots- though a video system gould have cured that if they didn't have one already. But Draka that's going too far. What was the reason other then the occasional
french fried (drugged out) spectator that just didn't hear or see the fifty or so security people trying to keep people like them from frying. Draka moved alot of people across the playa at night at slightly above walking speeds while entertaining them and attending to their elixer needs. The flame thrower could be tilted up from the horizontal position.

Are the art bars going next. Perhaps so and if so then they should insist that all vehicles be human powered, but that's another thread.

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Re: la contessa

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:11 pm

chickenfish wrote:... They also banned Draka the dragon....

Do you know why?
spectabillis

Postby Badger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:59 pm

That's sad! I can see banning the contessa it was a beautiful as it was too fast for the playa. it did have too many blind spots- though a video system gould have cured that if they didn't have one already.

The simple answer would have been for the drivers to operate the vehicle as stipulated when they asked for (and received) their Mutant Vehicle permit from the BRC DMV.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:51 pm

The Whale stands out in my mind as the finest "art car" yet. I had my turn driving it, working on it a little, and generally partying with Flash & Tom, whom I believe were granted by BMORG to build it.
It had a full "whale" interior, all red with guts and ribs and things the whale had eaten... it took 2 drivers (steering/throttle above, brakes/gearshift/throttle below) and a tail operator.
They banned it? And I was really liking what the DMV had done this year...

That might = Bush re-election.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:07 pm

Badger wrote:
The simple answer would have been for the drivers to operate the vehicle as stipulated when they asked for (and received) their Mutant Vehicle permit from the BRC DMV.

Simple and True

Do you know anything about Draka, Badger?

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:33 am

Do you know anything about Draka, Badger?

Nada.
Isotopia

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man