astroturf! (my testimony about why carpet is bad)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:18 am

I wonder how that industrial rubber mat stuff, that interlocks, would work?

the stuff they put down for folks that have to stand or work on concrete all day I know......but, I can't think of any other way to describe it, sorry if it's an awkward reference.

It's pretty rigid, and, in smaller pieces, that can be put together like to form a lot of shapes.

or, conveyor belting, but, that'd be sort of unwieldy to haul and unroll.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Rubber Mats

Postby EmilyD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 pm

ygmir wrote:I wonder how that industrial rubber mat stuff, that interlocks, would work?

the stuff they put down for folks that have to stand or work on concrete all day I know......but, I can't think of any other way to describe it, sorry if it's an awkward reference.

It's pretty rigid, and, in smaller pieces, that can be put together like to form a lot of shapes.

or, conveyor belting, but, that'd be sort of unwieldy to haul and unroll.

You'd definitely have to use the heavier ones. My experience with the jigsaw ones is that they tend to be super light...so that wouldn't help weight down your tent. Carpet may be your best bet.
EmilyD

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:47 pm

the industrial ones I have here in my shop are quite heavy, compared to carpet anyway......about 1/2 inch thick. Is that what you refer to?
like conveyor belting, but, softer and more flexible.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby EmilyD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:08 pm

ygmir wrote:the industrial ones I have here in my shop are quite heavy, compared to carpet anyway......about 1/2 inch thick. Is that what you refer to?
like conveyor belting, but, softer and more flexible.

ygmir I have the soft foam ones that don't actually lock together. They're like memory foam only tougher and the size of an over-sized front door mat.

I found this website that seems to have a good selection of mats at reasonable prices. I got mine at my local hardware store.

Here's the link to their "interlocking" section:

http://www.matsforless.com/products/Int ... /index.cfm
EmilyD

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm thinking more like the "weight room" mats.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby illy dilly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 am

I'm wondering if it would even be worth us using floor covering. We use 1 (maybe 2) 10'x20' carports. The sides don't come all the way to the ground, and dust would still blow under the sides.
Thoughts?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Zona_the_stona » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:53 am

illy dilly wrote:I'm wondering if it would even be worth us using floor covering. We use 1 (maybe 2) 10'x20' carports. The sides don't come all the way to the ground, and dust would still blow under the sides.
Thoughts?

We lay down a giant tarp under the carports as a floor covering. You can wrap the whole tarp up along the sides of the carport and lace a cord thru the gromets and run the other end thru the frame of the carport. This has worked for us in the past.
Zona_the_stona

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am

tin can lids are just round razor blades...don't use them
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby EmilyD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm

EspressoDude wrote:tin can lids are just round razor blades...don't use them

You're right...better to go with jumbo washers. Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby teardropper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 pm

These probably wouldn't work for big areas, don't know if they make it big, but we have a 5x8 polypropylene rug we use in front of the camper, under the shade, and it works really well. Well, I don't know about how it does in the wet playa mud, but the dust just shakes off, doesn't build up, and when you get home it hoses off very clean. We use this for other camping where it doesn't have to be staked down and I didn't want to put holes in it, so I just used water jugs to weigh it down. Think I'll try to find a bigger one to dedicate and will use 10" nails with big ass washers to keep it down.

If you have one of those can openers that have the cutter on the side of the can, they are not sharp. They're the ones that make a replaceable lid for the can. Could be used for carpet washers.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby illy dilly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:56 pm

EmilyD wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:tin can lids are just round razor blades...don't use them

You're right...better to go with jumbo washers. Thanks.

Maybe Use pickle jar lids, beanut better lids, jelly lids, hard plastic or medal lids. Be sure the clean them though, last thing you need is hot pickle, peanut butter, and mayonnaise smells in your tent.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping