What have people experienced as the best camp size?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Whats the best size to camp with?

Solo
17%
2-4
21%
4-8
25%
8-12
17%
Theme camps
21%

Total votes : 24

What have people experienced as the best camp size?

Postby illy dilly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

So this year there are 4 of us going in our truck, 2 second year (experienced newbies), and 2 virgins. Last year we camped in a group of 12, but we don't really want to camp with those folks again.
So now we are left with a couple options, either the four of use have a smaller camp, or we try to join up with a large theme camp. Only problem with joining a large theme camp we don't want to make obligations, when were so new and there is still so much to see, and let people down in the end.
What camp sizes worked well for people during their first years? Solo, small groups, medium groups, or Huge theme camps?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:03 pm

When you say "huge theme camps", how huge is huge? I mean, BDC&WB has probably 30 people, but Barbie Death Village may have 200, with seven or so theme camps placed within. Some camps within the Village are large, like Eden and us, some are in the middle, some are rather small.

We would be happy to extend an invitation to you to become part of our Village (21 and over please), after a modest preliminary interview of some type. But there are camps that have over 100, villages that probably have more than 300, and others that have only three or four. Everybody's concept of huge, large, or small could be radically different.

Personally I think theme camps around 20-40 work best because you have enough people to support the infrastructure and you can get to know one another. But YMMV.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Our personal camp runs best with four to six people, maybe eight at a stretch. However, we're in Hushville, which runs several hundred. I wouldn't want to be in a big camp, just doesn't appeal to me. I get edgy when I have too many people in our personal camp, or too many people camping next to us who use out shade area as their own. We have a camp comprised of control freaks, we all have different areas of compulsive behavior and work as a nice unit. Extra people strain the dynamic. LOL.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby illy dilly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 am

Thank you both very much!

Doc Pyro, we may take you up on that!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:23 pm

I was lost during the years I camped with ESD (big at either camp, 35-50, maybe) but some of that was being the wife, not the emt. I do fairly well in the ~30 size of the Booby Bar, but I think that's also due to interacting with the core group on line all year. And we are part of a village, so that brings me to a larger, yet still accessible group. (<150, I think)

For me, it's not the size, but the people. I'm an introvert, so it really helps that I have a place that I can retreat to and to have people I trust nearby. It may help to think of not the advantages to joining a group but of the work you'd owe the place and the amount of autonomy you want.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

I like lean and mean.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby peachandpapa » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:27 pm

We started with 3 and it was great... Went to 6 and it was perfect. Then we went to 12 and it was very frustrating. The key is to pick your camp mates judiciously. One bad apple can definitely bum-out and spoil the whole adventure!

Also, we have a new rule for newbies: bring their own transportation to and from BM. We had one chick freakout because of the dust and wanted to leave after one day... Like I said, pick your mates with a keen eye. Burn on!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Well, I've only been once, but I went solo and enjoyed it. I'm kind of an introvert also, so it's nice to have a chill out space by myself. If I want to hang out with people in camp, I'll go talk to the neighbors. :)

I'll probably go solo or with one or two friends this year also.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Brain Freeze Camp has a core group of 30 or so people who are all part of Black Rock FX. Each year we have a few new people camp with us and that has worked out very well. Everyone knows what their duties are and there never is any turmoil about getting things done. I feel that being comfortable with your camp mates is more important than the number of people.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby illy dilly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Dustdevil wrote: I feel that being comfortable with your camp mates is more important than the number of people.

Good point
illy dilly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 am

Dunbar's number is a theoretical cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is, and how each person relates to every other person.[1] Proponents assert that numbers larger than this generally require more restrictive rules, laws, and enforced norms to maintain a stable, cohesive group. No precise value has been proposed for Dunbar's number, but a commonly cited approximation is 150.

Dunbar's number was first proposed by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, who theorized that "this limit is a direct function of relative neocortex size, and that this in turn limits group size ... the limit imposed by neocortical processing capacity is simply on the number of individuals with whom a stable inter-personal relationship can be maintained." On the periphery, the number also includes past colleagues such as high school friends with whom a person would want to reacquaint themselves if they met again.[2]
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Dustdevil wrote: I feel that being comfortable with your camp mates is more important than the number of people.

Good point

Word!

I have a solo Theme Camp within a group of ~ 90 people in other small camps. It works great.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 pm

I go solo, but have had returning neighbors to hang out with. I like company, and try to create a welcoming space for visitors. Sometimes I wonder if I need to have all the crap I bring if nobody else enjoys it. I do feel more secure with my own space, kitchen, shade, lounge chair. Truthfully, it's an expanding experience, and hopefully it will get more populated as time goes by.
Elorrum

Return to Shelter & Camping