Tips To Avoid Heat Stroke?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Tips To Avoid Heat Stroke?

Postby Plumeria » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 am

I am a light skinned irish, who tends to get heat stroke easy, if I am not careful. I realize on the playa I am throwing myself into the situation and am doing everything I can do prepare.

Just wondering what tips and tricks you all have to avoid heat stroke. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Find out what I am up to: http://plumeriasworld.blogspot.com

2010: Pink Heart Camp
Plumeria

Postby TomServo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 am

Lay low, during the day, under a good shade structure, with plenty of airflow. Go play in the evening. That's when its most exciting anyways. Read the required reading!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 am

like TomServo said, there is much to be learned in the first timers and survival guides on the main site.......along with common sense, drink lots of fluid, make sure you replace electrolytes, use sunscreen and stay in the shade during the heat of the day. Rest is something overlooked at times, due to the exciting nature of the event. But, not sleeping will weaken you, too.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 am

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 am

stroke and heat come to mind there, CFM, with that pic of you..........but, I'm not sure that's what the OP meant.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:07 am

Big-Ass Shade Hat, and actually wear it. With a chin strap for the wind.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sail Man » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 am

ygmir wrote:stroke and heat come to mind there, CFM, with that pic of you..........but, I'm not sure that's what the OP meant.........

Yes, but you liked it like the dirty dog that you are :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it, so did I :wink:

Plumeria, think about volling with Artica during the afternoon heat wave, in the shade basking in the coolness of fellow burners and truck loads of ice.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:02 am

It's not like it gets up to 115 degrees out there...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 am

Fire_Moose wrote:It's not like it gets up to 115 degrees out there...

I was surprised at how hot I got - I'd expected to be okay, given the summers I endure here, but man...it's fucking hot out there!
C.f.M.

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:38 am

Where are you at? Burningman tends to be a GOOD 10 degrees cooler then Phoenix and you don't have the heat radiating back at you from the asphalt. We escape the heat by going to burning Man
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 am

Me? I'm in the South - we're hitting over 90, already.

Summer days average around 100 degrees, with 100% humidity.
C.f.M.

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 am

I head into my air conditioned 40 foot RV and crank up the blender for a nice frozen margarita. I'm surprised nobody suggested that.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 am

C.f.M. wrote:Me? I'm in the South - we're hitting over 90, already.

The humidity makes it feel warmer to me. I HATE humidity. Black Rock is what? 3%? 10% ? Dry, anyway. For me, that means I feel cooler and get dehydrated more easily. For others, they suck down more water. I think because I live in Utah, I'm already used to dry heat and higher elevations.

Speaking of higher elevations, the sun in Black Rock will burn you quicker than sea level sun.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:04 am

unless, of course, you're invited into Doc's RV for margaritas.....at the famous BDV "Hope and grope"..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ConnieH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 am

Ugh...that makes me sweat just imagining...when I first moved to Idaho from the PNW, it took a bit of an adjustment to the dry heat, but now that I'm used to it, Burning Man is cake - the climate is almost the same as home.

Plumeria - like others said, big hat (something that let's your head breathe is good!), loose, light clothing (water-soaked sarongs are awesome), stay in the shade, drink plenty, wear sunscreen religously, if you have a spot where you can sleep 'til 2pm, you won't need to worry about the sun much ;-) I barely got a tan last year, only on work days when we were up early putting up/tearing down camp.
ConnieH

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I head into my air conditioned 40 foot RV and crank up the blender for a nice frozen margarita. I'm surprised nobody suggested that.

You and I are bruthas from different muthas!
Yes sir, best way to deal with the heat? DON'T! Go out at night!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am

I'm the same way. Light skin covered in freckles, red-ish beard, red-ish hair and terrible in the heat. We sat around all day in the shade. Partied our asses off at night.
Get a 6-8" battery operated fan and a spray bottle for the day (ghetto swamp cooler).
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby danibel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:29 am

I carried a personal sized mister with me. I bought it at CVS at the end of last summer. It had a little pump and was the perfect amount of water mistiness. I can't find the dang thing now! You could use just a regular mister bottle.

If you have to get ice, go early when they open or late in the afternoon. Don't go in the middle of day — the line is long and the sun is high.

SHADE SHADE SHADE! Big Ass Shade Hats, Parasols, center camp, whatever you can do to keep your body out of the direct sun during the day will be good!
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 am

AntiM wrote:

The humidity makes it feel warmer to me. I HATE humidity. Black Rock is what? 3%? 10% ? Dry, anyway. For me, that means I feel cooler and get dehydrated more easily. For others, they suck down more water. I think because I live in Utah, I'm already used to dry heat and higher elevations.

Speaking of higher elevations, the sun in Black Rock will burn you quicker than sea level sun.

The humidity is one of the reasons I thought I'd handle the heat okay. What? Hot but I don't get drenched in water just from standing still in the shade? Awesome!

Maybe the elevation had a hand in how I felt...dunno. But if I spend the first night heaving non-stop like last year, I'll be pissed. :evil:
C.f.M.

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 am

AntiM wrote:The humidity makes it feel warmer to me. I HATE humidity. Black Rock is what? 3%? 10% ? Dry, anyway. For me, that means I feel cooler and get dehydrated more easily. For others, they suck down more water. I think because I live in Utah, I'm already used to dry heat and higher elevations.

Same here! The humidity is about the same as Denver, but the elevation is lower.
Last year the temps were about the same as Denver (but I heard last year was one of the best for weather), but even at home I don't spend 7 whole days in the sun. And I sleep a lot better at home.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 am

C.f.M. wrote:Maybe the elevation had a hand in how I felt...dunno. But if I spend the first night heaving non-stop like last year, I'll be pissed. :evil:

The elevation can make some low-landers quite ill at first. Not everyone, but some. Throw in the stress of travel and set up, the heat and the dry climate and it can be rough on even the healthiest system. The first 24~48 hours should be a time to take it easy and adjust. Lay off the booze is one trick. Yeah, I know, I know.

I've had friends visiting in Utah, which is at about the same elevation, get nosebleeds. That happens too.
AntiM

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am

ok fair enough, i don;t have to deal with humidity....but damn, with those 4 months of straight 110+ degree weather which cools down to a brisk 90 degrees at night, I need my week in the cool desert
Fire_Moose

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:43 am

Fire_Moose wrote:I need my week in the cool desert

What an oxymoron. I don't know if I feel bad for you or jealous. It sucks you godda deal with the heat the rest of summer, but its nice that you like the BRC temp.
illy dilly

Postby Plumeria » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks everyone. Yep, I have done all the "required" reading and more :) I know all the regular tips too. And, since I am aware of how I get, I am prepared to hang low during the day. I know I will want to be part of the action and not miss what people are doing, but, I want to stay healthy too.

The mister things are a great idea. And sarongs too. Adding to my shopping list! I am from Seattle, so, its a huge change for me. LOL

If anyone else has more ideas, keep them coming!
Find out what I am up to: http://plumeriasworld.blogspot.com

2010: Pink Heart Camp
Plumeria

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

[url=http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/page2.htm]I think you mean heat exaustion, heat stroke being: a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated.

The body normally generates heat as a result of metabolism, and is usually able to dissipate the heat by either radiation of heat through the skin or by evaporation of sweat. However, in extreme heat, high humidity, or vigorous exertion under the sun, the body may not be able to dissipate the heat and the body temperature rises, sometimes up to 106°F (41.1°C) or higher. Another cause of heat stroke is dehydration. A dehydrated person may not be able to sweat fast enough to dissipate heat, which causes the body temperature to rise.

[/url]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 am

Adapt to altitude before you go, if possible.
Don't drink alcohol.
Water.
Proper shade hat, hard to find really.

Take vitamin D.
Check your vitamin D level next time you see a doctor.
You may need more than the 1000 a day recommended now.

Pace yourself.

Stop all caffeine at least 3 days before altitude.
Don't resume until back at base.

Shade
Shade
Shade
Water
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I live not far from fire moose and i was born here.Found out along time ago that i wasnt solar powered. So i hibernate in the summer time and if theres work to be done it gets done by 9am or it dont get done by me.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sail Man » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I head into my air conditioned 40 foot RV and crank up the blender for a nice frozen margarita. I'm surprised nobody suggested that.

We didn't want you to know what we've been up to at your place while you were out and about :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey Plumeria, in all seriousness, I take a parasol with me. I burn easily and go to a burn with a lake and hate applying sunscreen (esp. on my face, greasiness + breaks me out) and a parasol is just perfect for you keeping you shaded, no matter where you are.

I use that paper one, and also a regular ol' black umbrella (heavily embellished).
C.f.M.

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I live not far from fire moose and i was born here.Found out along time ago that i wasnt solar powered. So i hibernate in the summer time and if theres work to be done it gets done by 9am or it dont get done by me.

Oh yer out in the Junk huh? Will you be joining us at TOAST!?
Fire_Moose

Next

Return to Keeping Cool