Playa dust and car paint.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Thank you Risky,
The PoopMobile continues to be utterly hosed. It's my way of dealing with Default Whirled.

The good work continues,
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby LostinReno » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:38 am

geospyder wrote:Thanks for the responses. A good wax job prior, a full wash after, seal the vents during and no tarp. Got it - thanks again.

And don't leave your doors open during a sandstorm, or should we just not go there? :wink:

This concern coming from Mr. leave the hatchback open on MY car and takes off. But I'm not bitter, really! LOL!
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm

geospyder wrote:Thanks for the responses. A good wax job prior, a full wash after, seal the vents during and no tarp. Got it - thanks again.

am I the only one who sees humor in these sorts of responses?

I do love double entendres......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Gonzo and I are chuckling over here, to be sure.
I have to roll *down* my windows while on Poop Patrol or I can't see thru the windows for all the dirt. Sometimes I have to jump out of the vehicle to dry-swipe the dirt off the windshield to see.

The only way to truly protect your vehicle from the environmental onslaught is to not take it out there. Otherwise, just sit back, leave all your troubles at Gate, and enjoy the ambiance.

RobbiDobbs
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 am

Ok, I lied!!

A couple of days ago, just before the snow storm, It was super hot, so I changed my vent settings from defrost to AC and I was greeted with a glorious poof of playa dust. I don't know where it came from, but that is the first time that has ever happened. I only took this vehicle to the 2009 burn.

No issues with paint job though, it still bleeds playa dust after each washing... (I had the new vehicle about 8 days before it was on the playa).

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Dust

Postby kingtom » Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for all the information. I feel better. Anyone have any ideas on how to filter a R/V A/C unit? I wasn't planning on using it but an hour or so a day but would like to avoid sucking in dust.
kingtom

Re: Dust

Postby CapSmashy » Sun May 16, 2010 8:58 am

kingtom wrote:Thanks for all the information. I feel better. Anyone have any ideas on how to filter a R/V A/C unit? I wasn't planning on using it but an hour or so a day but would like to avoid sucking in dust.

Roof top unit?

Pick up a few allergen type replacement filters and replace the open cell factory one. Your air intake is on the inside of the coach.

Blowing dust is what will accumulate up top in and around the coils. Anything that blows air can be used to blow out the top unit and free up some of the build up. Even though I'll have my air compressor with me, I'm still thinking leaf blower may be the rule this year.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Token » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 am

On RV AC units, these are two stage systems just like a home AC.

The compressor is on the roof, the evaporator is in the RV. The only thing flowing Between the two is the coolant (some freon like thingy).

No outsiide air is sucked into the RV as a result of running the AC unit.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby kingtom » Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 am

Hay! I really appreciate the information and another problem solved. I'm old and need that A/C for my afternoon nap. Thx. Kingtom
kingtom

Postby CapSmashy » Sun May 16, 2010 10:22 am

Token wrote:On RV AC units, these are two stage systems just like a home AC.

The compressor is on the roof, the evaporator is in the RV. The only thing flowing Between the two is the coolant (some freon like thingy).

No outsiide air is sucked into the RV as a result of running the AC unit.

Yep. Extra filters for the inside unit and something to blow off anything accumulating on the outside unit.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Previous

Return to Transportation