truckers tarp repair

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

truckers tarp repair

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 pm

I know theres alot of you long haul heros out there. Sooo have you ever used hh-66 tarp repair adhisive or something simaler to fix tarps? 50,000 people (well me anyway) need to know. Its even used to repair skirts on hover craft.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Will anything glue poly together strongly and flexibly enough to not just peal of?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 am

MyLarry recommends Gorilla tape for cuts or holes in the tarps. Clean the area to be taped with alcohol, then wipe away any residue before applying the tape. Tape both sides. He says it holds up under highway speeds. He's never had trouble with his Gorilla tape repairs.

The other stuff would work, but it is expensive and requires patches to hold the surfaces together. Overlapping works only if the joint and surrounding areas will lie perfectly flat.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks antim. I want to attach straps the length of the tarp for reinforcement against wind damage. Ive got some gorilla tape but im not shure its strong enough. Oh, and 12x30 would take alot of tape (grommet to grommet, think of a checkerboard) would run higher price than glue?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 am

Check Schnee-morehead.
I need a case of their stuff right now, so if I can help you order something, let me know.
http://www.schneemorehead.com/

There is a clear tacky adhesive used on the reflectix style wraps I have for kegs.
I don't know who makes it, but sticky and stubborn as fuck, and flexible, which is key here.
gyre

Postby AKAparttime » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:59 am

Try googleing zodiac repair. "Danger" MEK is the preferred solvent !
AKAparttime

Postby AntiM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Thanks antim. I want to attach straps the length of the tarp for reinforcement against wind damage. Ive got some gorilla tape but im not shure its strong enough. Oh, and 12x30 would take alot of tape (grommet to grommet, think of a checkerboard) would run higher price than glue?

Glue then. Is this for transport or just your shade structure? Seems like overkill, but I don't know your application/use?
AntiM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Antim, gyre, Pics of the shade plan are on my intro page. Elliot said id have to cut holes to vent my tarp. I want to ancor one end to the ground, go over the stable uprights, then ancor to the truck. Inch the truck forward till every thing is tight as a trampoline. Soooooo, the 2500 pound test strap glued to the tarp should make it damn near unbreakable. Thoughts? thank you for your input.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 pm

what are you using for anchors?
just thinkin'.........don't anchor 2500 lbs of pull to a 400 lb. anchor.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:53 pm

7 or 8 two to three foot long stakes. Check my intro page for pics.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:55 pm

8 straps in that dimension 19000 pound test, but i wont have to pull THAT hard....lol

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:57 pm

those are nice stakes. I'd suggest, though finding how much pull they'll handle, and, take into account wind gusts up to 60 mph.
The wind can come from any direction, even straight down.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but, it won't matter what a great tarp system you have, if, it flies away.............

there are certainly, somewhere, calcs that'll tell you how much hold for a certain diameter and shape of stake.........

as an example:
I had a small 10x12 tarp, between my camper and my friends motorhomes, in the luggage bars on the roofs, for shade.
In the great dustup of '07, that tarp stayed intact, but, tore the rack right off my camper, pulling the lag bolts out, then, proceeded to beat up my friends motorhome.....luckily, it was so beat up already, it was no issue..........
that same storm saw a full sized carport, intact, fly right into and over my truck/camper and down the street.................
Both incedents happening within an hour, and, with winds from two different directions.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Those are the very stories i need to hear about. My rack whieghs about 250pds, 1/2inch bolts, and haul 2000pd cactus on it all the time. I think if i put enough stakes (7 or 8) it should stat put. Thanks for the responce.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:57 pm

This is for ygmir the........(finish barberian name)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ranger Genius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Wait, is that Cohen?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby AntiM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Larry doesn't like the look of the single guy per upright. Unfortunately, he talks with his hands, so I am having trouble translating his concepts to you. He says side or crisscrossed under the tarp, if that makes sense. Three point: two guys and each pole per side. He's also unsure of a stretch of tarp that long without a center support.

What are you using for side panels? Something to drop down? You'll want something to break the morning and evening sun slant. Something lightweight will do, and it would need the vents for the wind. Camo netting works, or sliced sheets.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

FIGJAM wrote:This is for ygmir the........(finish barberian name)

you mean "Lemminkainen"

though, I'm not Finn............I have read the Kalevala.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I plan on parking with the truck facing east. The slope of the tarp west. I know what my larry means. X rope from corner to corner under the tarp. I was going to do that on top as well, like a sandwich with the tarp in the middle. If i pull a big enough rope tight enough it will act like a solid pipe suport. So i believe. And thank for your responces.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Side panels will be shade clothe and burlap.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:57 pm

gahgis cohen the barberian. yes.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, im on a mission.......Yes i could be wrong........but im not uncertain........lol

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 am

The biggest problem I can see is that the long unsupported, unanchored section of the tarp will whip up and down in high wind.

Here's a pic of the structure I built that was attached to the truck in a similar fashion, in case you can glean something from it. It uses a knock down wood frame that assembled with only two fasteners (attaching the vertical posts to the end cross member). Think playatech style assembly applied to a structure. It was simply setting on top of the steel framed camper top and the two posts, then lashed with rope back and forth across the top in a crosshatch pattern to anchors driven into the playa.

ETA: The posts also had angle iron clips on the bottom with pins driven into the playa to keep them in place. This structure held up well in the winds of '04 and '07. The tarps, even with the rope support, still got some damage from whipping back and forth, but it all held up. The entire truck rocked at times and it's nose was pointed into the prevailing wind, allowing it to come through the structure (most of the time), rather than into it broadside.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 am

thank LCN. did you switch to hevier tarps? I was shopping for mist system parts yesterday and ran into a couple shopping. After talking about misting systems it turned out the woman had worked in tarp supplies for 30 years. She said that snyder hh-66 was all they used for tarp repair and the tarps would fail elsewhere, but not where they used this glue. It runs from 13 to 20 dollars a quart and covers 30sq ft. Ill glue reinforcing strap to the tarp that will make it less subject to wind damage. Its also used to repair hoover craft skirts.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 am

Yes, that photo is from '04. In '05 we switched to silver tarps and they lasted for several years.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Ranger Genius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 am

Agreed, center section of tarp is way too long to be unsupported, and you need another set of guys at the ends.

My suggestion for the center support would be a camo net spreader (or similar) attached to the end of a 2x4 that could sit in the side-rail pocket of the truck bed (again, guyed; one per side and then a top brace that attaches the two together.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Found a local place to order my tarp cement so i can cash and carry. $15 a quart, covers 30sq ft. Ill let you know how it goes and post pics.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am

Anyone heard of a zippered hatch? Thier for boat but i think it would work to add doors or windows to a home made no mesh tent.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Why not have a pro deal with your problem? Take it to a tarp & awning shop.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for reply bob. I think i read your entire site for ideas. I like doing it myself even if i dont know what im doing.......lol........i value your expert oppinion.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping