rigging a shade structure with an RV?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

rigging a shade structure with an RV?

Postby saisai » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 pm

hi all -

does anyone have any tips on how to make a cheap shade structure with/against an RV?

i imagine there must be a sturdy way to rig a tarp of something....?

also - if my question is already being addressed on another thread, i'd appreciate the redirection.

thanks~!
saisai

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Their are tons of ways... I have a canopy, which I duct tape each leg, to a t post.. and I'm waiting for someone to say its overkill.... but you don't need guylines. But, you would need a post pounder, a t post removal key, and a hi lift jack.. they suck trying to be removed without the proper tools. Research!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 am

I rigged a shade structure against my SUV that worked pretty well, not sure if the RV is too tall for it or not, but just tie the tarp to the top of the RV, get a couple of "tarp poles" for the side not connected to the RV, and guy ropes from the poles to stakes in the ground.

That's probably the cheapest way to go. You could also build a dome that dosen't attach to the RV, or one of those "north pole" shade structures for ~$100 or 150 or so.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby shiznicks1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 am

what we did last year was we bought an army surplus parachute for about $40, put an e-z up next to our rv, then tied the shute to the top of the rv, pulled it over the ez up, then staked it to the ground. The slits in the shute let in just enough sunlight, while allowing the wind to pass through it. Worked very well for us and provided a lot of shade.
Interloper Camp 2010, come one, come all
shiznicks1

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 am

i'm sure there's many ways of rigging it but be careful when using a tarp because once those winds kick up they'll make the tarp carry A LOT of force. the camp next to us last year had a huge one tied to poles next an RV that banged against the side of it in a dust storm and scratched it all up. they put cloths between the pole and the RV but by then it had already done damage.

you might consider those military camo nets that will provide less resistance when the winds kick up.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Return to Shelter & Camping