Looking to get some help with a vehicle project... resources

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby caveatlector » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:45 pm

I am frankly floored by the technical knowledge being shared here.

Its certainly looking like I'm looking at way more work than I can get done for this year-- in particular since I'll need that advance permission to bring the vehilce to the playa and I'm going to need at least 3 months to save funds and build this thing.
caveatlector

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm

If you use a hubmotor, be sure to get one of the very low geared ones designed for pedicabs and so on, of 600 pounds +.

Heinzmann is often recommended.
gyre

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

caveatlector wrote:I am frankly floored by the technical knowledge being shared here.

Its certainly looking like I'm looking at way more work than I can get done for this year-- in particular since I'll need that advance permission to bring the vehilce to the playa and I'm going to need at least 3 months to save funds and build this thing.

I say continue on with it and see how it goes for this year. You can wait until as late as June to apply with the DMV. Maybe you’ll have a more firm grasp on it by then. Nothing wrong with it becoming a multi-year project, either. Just means it’s that much more refined when you do get it to the playa.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 am

rodiponer wrote:But even with more details, the math is that the batteries will always push down on the front axle no matter how much weight is in back.

True enough, but what gets you through soft stuff is percentage of weight on driven axle vs. percentage on undriven axle.
We live this out at work, carrying stone on big trucks and trailers. If you set it up with the load too far back & the drive axles too light (since the trailer is being pulled from under the front, it's essentially front-wheel-drive) it gets stuck easy even though there is still maybe 15 - 20 thousand pounds on the drive axle. If there's more somewhere else, even 15K pounds isn't enough and it won't even drive up a wet street.
If you base all your math on one occupant's weight it seems OK but remember to add two or three people.

I didn't know the bike-hub motor was that weak. That's a whole other problem! Perhaps the solution there is a drive motor on ALL the wheels, not just for traction, but for the extra power. But that's more $$...

I wish I could offer any meaningful insight toward your own M/V, but yours is charting new territory!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 am

rodiponer wrote:But even with more details, the math is that the batteries will always push down on the front axle no matter how much weight is in back.

True enough, but what gets you through soft stuff is percentage of weight on driven axle vs. percentage on undriven axle.
We live this out at work, carrying stone on big trucks and trailers. If you set it up with the load too far back & the drive axles too light (since the trailer is being pulled from under the front, it's essentially front-wheel-drive) it gets stuck easy even though there is still maybe 15 - 20 thousand pounds on the drive axle. If there's more somewhere else, even 15K pounds isn't enough and it won't even drive up a wet street.
If you base all your math on one occupant's weight it seems OK but remember to add two or three people.

I didn't know the bike-hub motor was that weak. That's a whole other problem! Perhaps the solution there is a drive motor on ALL the wheels, not just for traction, but for the extra power. But that's more $$...

I wish I could offer any meaningful insight toward your own M/V, but yours is charting new territory!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:47 am

with all the weight you are packing on your sled, you are going to need a lot of torque in soft playa dust. And likely larger tires and motors than planned.

Think about a 8" wheel sunk 2" into the playa. In order for that wheel to move 4" ahead, it has to climb 2". That is a 50% grade, or the force to move ahead is 1/2 the vehicle weight. Now try a 20" wheel. 10" ahead and 2" up is a 20% grade. much less torque needed.

( note assumption that the edge of the "hole" is at the very front of the tire, not part way back to the "footprint". reality is worse )

You might consider a pair of heavy duty wheel chair motors and transmissions. A pair is rated close to 600 pounds ( chair, batteries, large rider)
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Worship of Tools Day
When : Always March 11th

There are few things that the male population worships more than his tools. To some, a tool is a natural extension of their arm. So, Worship of Tools Day is a logical day of celebration. And, it's definitely a guy thing. Please note however, there are more than a few ladies who love to work with their hands, and find today to be an important holiday.

Need a birthday or Christmas gift idea for one of the "boys" in the family? You're never lacking for tool ideas when you visit the local hardware store.

Celebrate today by working with tools, and buying a tool or two. Receiving a tool as a gift today, makes this truely a special day.

Song of the Day: If I Had a Hammer
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Cool idea and diagram.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but want to give you some food for thought.

Since you are proposing some sort of "lean based" steering, be aware that there is generally LOTS of chaotic traffic everywhere in BRC, with the exception of the playa out past the man.

This means that you'll have lots and lots of starts and stops...sometimes inches at a time. When you do get to the intersection to turn, you often will have to do so at an almost standstill at an almost right angle. Even then it will be painfully slow.

Even riding a bike is a stop and start affair in most places, especially around popular camps and such.

Keep this in mind with your steering proposal. I personally think you should find some other way to steer it, while keeping in the lean-ability LOOK of it.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Get Involved!