Long Hair Poll

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

While at Burning Man, my long hair is;

Braided (corn rows, mini braids, braids with beads, etc)
29%
Dreaded (Do you get it done before BM or is this year round for some?)
4%
Free-Falling (wash rarely)
48%
Different Styles each Day (wash often)
18%

Total votes : 89

Postby NyxyNox » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:35 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Tying a lighter and spork into my hair...notsomuch.

Looks fun - on her.

Too heavy and "busy" for me!

the lighter and spork - i totally agree, I don't think I will go there. But the overall concept, i like.
NyxyNox

Postby shroom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

I've got to try the fairy hair! Cool!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Tying a lighter and spork into my hair...notsomuch.

Looks fun - on her.

Too heavy and "busy" for me!

Anyone who has been to the playa knows that much stuff in your hair/on your head will be HOT. And not in the fun, cute way, in the OMG I'm suffocating in this heat way.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rice » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm

I usually get one shower during the burn. Just let my hair go where it wants... Nothing that a good hat wouldn't fix anyhow.

Yah, anything that can burn should be covered by sunscreen (or whatever)! It is one thing to have a burnt neck, a fried ass is a whole different kinda uncomfortable. :)

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

"No Rinse" shampoo?

Postby dewnorth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Who has experience with "No Rinse" shampoo?

I found it as a special order in Walgreen's pharmacy at a much cheaper price than at REI.

Similar products can be found at medical supply stores, for bed-ridden people, etc.

I also tried "Pssssssst". I'll never use that stuff again. The can wasn't good for two uses for me. The nozzle stuck open. And it turned my hair white, and it didn't brush/comb out very well. (I've read the main ingredient in such products is corn starch.) I would have been just as well off rubbing more playa dust into my hair.
dewnorth

Postby Edana » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 am

I've used the No-rinse stuff many times for normal camping trips. Works pretty well. I do try and rinse at least some of it out, but it at least makes my hair seem clean.

I do plan to bring a bunch of it to BM, so I can pretend to have clean hair a few times over the course of the week. I'm going to braid or bun my hair and keep it covered.
Edana

Postby Mojojita » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:00 pm

I wash my hair on the playa every couple of days, depending on the timing and severity of the dust storms. I am a real fan of leave-in conditioners which allow me to get a comb through it after washing.
Mojojita

Postby Enli » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Victorian! I have curly, extremely thick hair and my first year at burning man was a hair disaster. I even straightened it beforehand, thinking it's be easier to manage, but it didn't take long to become completely unmanageable and it stayed in a braid the entire time. My mother has the same type of hair and she attempted to wash hers, but that was a disaster as well; our hair is so thick that her hair just stayed muddy. So, what is our solution? Braids! Before the event I braid a ton of small braids into my hair. It's great because on the playa I can still do any hairstyle I like- ponytail or etc. - without worrying about it turning into a big clumpy mess.

Here's a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30214924@N ... 4/sizes/o/

As you can see I did get some fuzz going on toward the end of the week, but it's not too bad and I wear hats most of the time anyway. : )
Neverwas Haul
BM 2009

Mistress of Time, Server of Tea
The Bomb Bay Tea Company
BM 2008
Enli

Postby Victorian » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Enli wrote:Hi Victorian! I have curly, extremely thick hair and my first year at burning man was a hair disaster. I even straightened it beforehand, thinking it's be easier to manage, but it didn't take long to become completely unmanageable and it stayed in a braid the entire time. My mother has the same type of hair and she attempted to wash hers, but that was a disaster as well; our hair is so thick that her hair just stayed muddy. So, what is our solution? Braids! Before the event I braid a ton of small braids into my hair. It's great because on the playa I can still do any hairstyle I like- ponytail or etc. - without worrying about it turning into a big clumpy mess.

Here's a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30214924@N ... 4/sizes/o/

As you can see I did get some fuzz going on toward the end of the week, but it's not too bad and I wear hats most of the time anyway. : )

Enli, perfect!! Thanks for offering a positive sollution! I've since cut my hair, not sure if I'll keep it short come August or let it grow up until then, but braiding either way is definitely the decision!

Thanks!
Victorian

Postby Thecatman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 pm

any goop that one puts in their hair will more then likely attract more dust
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 pm

hats

I shampoo over a basin a few times, mainly for refreshment. It's dirty again in no time.
Elorrum

Postby mrandMisBehavin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:33 pm

MOJO…

What "leave-in conditioner" do you use? I have waist length hair and am looking for a good product.

Smiles, Mis Behavin
mrandMisBehavin

Postby missziggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:46 am

I've done fake dreads to my hair a few times and am planning on wearing it to my first burn this year.

Probably won't do it too long cause it does get a bit heavy, but it means I won't have to worry about washing my hair everyday which I normally have to do. It just gets too oily.
xoxo
N
missziggy

Postby mrandMisBehavin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm in the process of making dreads so I can just put my hair in buns and tie pigtail dreads on!

They are easy to make.

Smiles, Mis Behavin
mrandMisBehavin

Postby Colourfulkiz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

Yes I am very worried about this, my hair is really long, wavy, and thin. It dreadlocks very easily. But I prefer to wear my hair down, its cuter that way. I will probably change my mind once on the playa, I hear theres constant wind.
Excited to be a virgin burner again, this time in BRC!
Colourfulkiz

Postby Mojojita » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:19 pm

mrandMisBehavin wrote:MOJO…

What "leave-in conditioner" do you use? I have waist length hair and am looking for a good product.

Smiles, Mis Behavin

I will double check when I get home and let you know (I'm at work). There is one in particular that I like. I have boob-length hair and usually use a regular conditioner AND a leave-in just to be able to get a comb/brush through it.
Mojojita

Postby Bling » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Enli wrote: So, what is our solution? Braids! Before the event I braid a ton of small braids into my hair. It's great because on the playa I can still do any hairstyle I like- ponytail or etc. - without worrying about it turning into a big clumpy mess.

I have extremely thick, curly hair, too, and DON'T want dreads, but am worried they'll happen in about 4 seconds on the Playa. Did you do those tiny braids yourself, or did someone do them for you? How hard were they to get out afterward?

Oh--and were you with the Neverwas Haul? That is my favorite vehicle EVER. So beautiful!
Bling

Postby Enli » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Bling wrote:
Enli wrote: So, what is our solution? Braids! Before the event I braid a ton of small braids into my hair. It's great because on the playa I can still do any hairstyle I like- ponytail or etc. - without worrying about it turning into a big clumpy mess.

I have extremely thick, curly hair, too, and DON'T want dreads, but am worried they'll happen in about 4 seconds on the Playa. Did you do those tiny braids yourself, or did someone do them for you? How hard were they to get out afterward?

Oh--and were you with the Neverwas Haul? That is my favorite vehicle EVER. So beautiful!

Yes indeed, I had the pleasure and honor of helping the Neverwas Haul crew out last year. I am just as amazed by that vehicle as everyone else! :D

My hair tries to dread itself even when I don't have any playa dust to worry about, so it's definitely a handful. I did the braids myself on the drive up and they took probably 5 hours. I did, however, make my braids really tiny, so you could probably make your braids a bit bigger and cut down on all that time. I used tiny, clear plastic hair bands (the kind you might find in the kiddie section of the hair product aisle), and though they were kind of a pain to put on, it was worth it. They were thin enough to be light and non-bulky, I didn't have to worry about metal pieces rusting, and when I got home I simply took a shower and the darn things came out without a protest. My hair was super kinky after I got all the braids out but after a couple washes it was back to normal.

The braids do take a lot of prep but I'd say they're worth it for a carefree week. :)
Neverwas Haul
BM 2009

Mistress of Time, Server of Tea
The Bomb Bay Tea Company
BM 2008
Enli

Postby Bling » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks, Enli! We'll certainly have plenty of car time, so that's a possibility. I think some salons will do this, too, but not sure what that would cost...

What does the inside of the Neverwas Haul look like?
Bling

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm

I have butt-length hair, thick and straight. I make one braid in the back as soon as I leave the asphalt. I might wash my hair 2-3 times in the 10 days I'm out there. I use a 2 in 1 shampoo and additional conditioner, then rinse it out. I then comb it completely with a wide tooth comb and braid it again in one braid. I'll wear a sleeve from a t-shirt over my head and a bonnet.

I'm a bit of a barbarian when it comes to cleanliness and attention to appearance but this has worked for me for 11 years.

Good luck and don't ever cut your hair.
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Tiny Braids= Hair loss

Postby LadyLynx » Thu May 20, 2010 10:16 am

Last year was my first year and my friend and I decided to spend 6 hours doing micro braids on our long hair. Oh so cute we decided!

They were really very nice to deal with, as in NOT deal with for the week but the horror began on the way home.

We both ended up losing GOBS of hair, not just shedding but litterally half the mass of my hair. Even after a shower the playa dust had formed some sort of horrible glue and made taking them out more time consuming that braiding them in the first place. THEN on top of this, the tiny braids had all started to dread at the top, and I had to tear more hair out for 3 days to make it stop.

This year? A wig, dreadfalls, pony tails and Bandanas :p
LadyLynx

Postby Bling » Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 am

Wow, thanks so much for sharing your experiences, LadyLynx! I'd been seriously thinking about the microbraid idea, but it doesn't sound like a winner after all. Maybe just braided pigtails brushed out and washed each afternoon instead...
Bling

I can HELP!

Postby TobeWilde » Sat May 22, 2010 10:34 pm

My camp, Wilde at Heart, is gifting...taming your mane! Me and my friends will have lots of hair accessories and we will french braid your hair, put it up in a long braided bun, a sort of updo (if your length can support it) and help you with products and others looks...and don't forget spray on sunscreen for your scalp when you braid your hair. Find our camp and come by for some help or suggestions...or maybe just a scalp massage.

Tobe Wilde :D
TobeWilde

Postby Bling » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 am

Ooh, I am so there! :D
Bling

Playa hair

Postby Susieclue b » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 pm

Take lots of conditioner, bobby pins, barettes, a bandana or three, and some covered rubberbands. Starting about day 2, you will be able to change the shape of your hairdo at will using the above. Day 3, wash it. Day 6 wash it again.

Look into running elwire through your hair at night - or blinky barrettes - or...

Hats are fabulous during the day.

Make a long bag for your locks and tie the bag to a rubber band.

Wear hoods.

I've been dealing with long hair on playa for over a decade and it's now not even on my radar of things to worry about.

And take extra water.

Good luck to you.

Susieclue B
Susieclue b
Camp Mom
Black Rock Fun Jet Camp
Snowflake Village
Black Rock City, Nevada
12 year participant and counting
Susieclue b

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 am

For the Captain and others with his lifestyle hairstyle choice.
I strongly recommend the Brownsville Station version, but I can't find it online.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FhOZcHlGc[/youtube]
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 am

Chonmage!

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bohemianrhapsody » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 am

One word: Plastics

I purchased a plastic party door curtain like this:

http://www.amols.com/catalog/product/AS643BK

I cut it, put duct tape around the top, put my hair in a bun, and I wear it pony-fall style. It's low maintance, light as a feather, durable (it's been worn through 5 times to BM) and shinyshiny in the sun! People ask if it's old cassette tapes. I tell them it's old Stevie Nicks tapes.
:wink:

Photo here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61689423@N ... 884915215/
Bohemianrhapsody

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 am

Ah! Duct tape is why it doesn't moop! Clever. I see people using this as camp decor and it makes a huge mess if just hung up in the wind.

You look marvelous.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Buff for your head

Postby Janet Planet » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 am

Last year was my first burn, and I bought a Buff for my head. It was fookin' brilliant! I wore it all day most days (with braids). It kept the dust out of my hair and occasionally I extended it over my nose and mouth. I can't imagine how I ever lived without one.
http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CKL5p5 ... iAodNCi8yA
REI sells them too.
Janet Planet

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Grandma Frum's Painful Candy

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear