DO RV's Make Us Bad Burners?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby jella » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Getting our Rv today 8) Had to tell someone !!
I can't wait to remodel it with "playa" in mind hehe. Does anyone have experience with installing floating laminate floors in rvs ? It's an old c class beater but it runs like a champ.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Boijoy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

wooot!! :D
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Boijoy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

:shock: I just swallowed a bug.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Swamp coolers are awesome, but best used where there's good ventilation like a dome or tent... AC is a lot better in something like an RV. And it's colder!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby teardropper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Well, we decided against it, actually, for a couple of reasons. One was the cost, the other was the water. Lots of water. And if we can handle 104, then we'll be OK.

You really think it wouldn't be so good in an RV?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Boijoy wrote:... @ HomoDept ...

Is there anything wrong with "Home Despot" for this georgia peach? Especially since the Emeryville one was sued for flagrent rudeness to a f2m transsexual. I know it's been settled and things are changed, but geez, some sense of decorum, please.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Maybe that's as witty as one can get with a falty "s" key ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:42 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Maybe that's as witty as one can get with a falty "s" key ?

or a missing "u".............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Boijoy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 pm

awwww I miss U too!! sweety! :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 pm

U miss me 2?.............*all warm and cuddly*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby epic_elite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Tent or die!!!!!!!

sorry, i havnen't seen one of those in this thread yet.
epic_elite

Postby Blurt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 pm

jella wrote:Getting our Rv today 8) Had to tell someone !!
I can't wait to remodel it with "playa" in mind hehe. Does anyone have experience with installing floating laminate floors in rvs ? It's an old c class beater but it runs like a champ.

I am picking up some mismatched bits and pieces of laminate and just placing it over the trashed carpet. I am afraid to rip the carpet out, because I think it is holding the floor together. Good luck with your new baby!
Blurt

Postby jella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I must confess...after closer inspection, the carpet isn't all that old and I think I'll just steam clean it for now. more $ to spend on paint and fabric and replacing the gawd aweful drawer pulls :roll:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby teardropper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm

jella wrote:Getting our Rv today 8) Had to tell someone !!

That's what I have, an old class C beater that runs like a champ and have thought it would be nice to put a laminate on it, but thought I would glue it. Why wouldn't floating work? It would be easier.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby jella » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 pm

hmmmm Idea for a theme camp " c class beaters club " :lol:
jella

Postby illy dilly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:

Thats one huge frigen slide in! ((that what she said, lol))
Captain do you leave your camper in all year? I was thinking one of the smaller jobs, sorta a pop up slide in deal. I'm pretty sure they're pretty light. It would just being sleeping quarters. I'd still have to have car ports for kitchen and living room. But Air Conditioned sleeping would kick ass!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Nope, I don't drive around all year with that 4000 pound camper on! I only drop it on when I wanna use it.
I don't think many pop-up style campers have air conditioners on their roofs and the fabric-sided pop-ups don't hold cold air very well either. If you want to sleep through the hot morning and midday in cold comfort (I can't recommend it highly enough!) you really ought to go with a hard-sided, non-pop-up unit. They come in all sizes, whatever truck you have there's a bunch out there available cheap that it can carry.

Class-C motorhomes have their strong points. If you want to tow a heavy trailer, DON'T get one, they have weak spindly rear frame extensions that you can bend, and the short wheelbase/long rear overhang of a class-C sucks real bad for heavy towing, it lets the trailer get way too much up-and-down and sideways torque and it'll drive like hell on the freeway. But if it doesn't have to do heavy tow duty, I'd recommend a class-C over a class-A. (just so everyone knows, a "class-C" motorhome is the kind with a van front end and motorhome body, a "class-A" is the flat-front, full motorhome body). After having owned several of both, I can tell you that class-A motorhomes are a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS to work on! The motorhome manufacturers purchase truck chassis from Detroit, then build a house on top of it, with no regard to how the hell you'll ever get it apart to fix it. The last one I had, I had to torch holes through the frame to get at the bolts holding the transmission in place, among other things. I know my way around a set of wrenches quite well, and I spent all day just changing the radiator. It was nearly impossible the way they built the damn thing.
With a class-C, most of the mechanical engineering and access is as Detroit (Chevy/Ford/Dodge) designed it. Still kind of a pain in the ass to work on, but at least it's possible without a chainsaw.
Class-Cs are also nice because they have front driver and passenger doors, and the windows roll down even! Front seat legroom sucks though... class-As can't be beat for that. Some As have a driver's door. I've had those, most are still a pain, not well positioned.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby jella » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:26 pm

*remodel update *
decided after all to rip out the carpet, good thing since I found a little mold up front from an old leak :( Floor is strong though and It rained most of the day and dry as a bone so it's definately an old leak. We priced the pergo and well lets just say buying stick down tiles leaves alot of cash to spend on other things.
two hundred more tiny staples to go and we can start laying the tiles :roll: I'll post a before and after when I'm done .
jella

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 am

Boijoy wrote::shock: I just swallowed a bug.

WoW!! :shock: The new and improved evil Boijoy! A bug devoring Boijoy!!

Remind me to offer up my neck to your new fangs once we get on playa :lol:

:P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Boijoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 am

Sail Man wrote:
Boijoy wrote::shock: I just swallowed a bug.

WoW!! :shock: The new and improved evil Boijoy! A bug devoring Boijoy!!

Remind me to offer up my neck to your new fangs once we get on playa :lol:

:P

The potato will be back soon. I was involved in a little "situtation" the other day that caused me to change face.

Plus. Mostly, I'm a ankle biter. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Blurt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:27 am

jella wrote:*remodel update *
decided after all to rip out the carpet, good thing since I found a little mold up front from an old leak :( Floor is strong though and It rained most of the day and dry as a bone so it's definately an old leak. We priced the pergo and well lets just say buying stick down tiles leaves alot of cash to spend on other things.
two hundred more tiny staples to go and we can start laying the tiles :roll: I'll post a before and after when I'm done .

I am looking forward to seeing the photos, as I am in the process of doing the same sort of thing - but I got some cheap laminate mismatched pieces. I am scared to actually rip out the carpet....
Blurt

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 pm

My old RV has a rubber mat floor on top of plywood (it used to be a transit bus). Easy to clean, yes. Comfy on bare feet no. So I throw down some long carpet runners, then take them outside after the trip and wham the dust off. Works pretty good, its nice to have something soft to pad around on inside :P I've never had a slide-in or class A or C but have had 2 travel trailers, the plus is if you have a good tow vehicle already a trailer has less mechanicals to fuss with than an old RV, but the down is that they are if anything even lighter built than an old truck frame RV...talk about toothpicks, tinfoil and staples! Beware the free Craigslist haul-aways unless you do some real going-over maintenance. Good luck on the motorhome makeovers, yes post pics!
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby pamplemusique » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 am

Throughout this thread, most pro-RVers seem to mention the AC and fridge as a major benefit to brining an RV. As someone with no previous RV experience, I had imagined that running AC even for a few hours a day and keeping the fridge consistently cold would cause problems in terms of having enough gas to run the generator for the whole week? I'm planning to be there from when the gates open to the final exodus and I'm worried about the RV running out of power by the end.

Should I be concerned? Do you need to bring extra gas to keep up that kind of energy expenditure all week?
pamplemusique

Postby much2naughty2 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 am

AC, Microwave, etc, run on AC 110 volt power from a small generator, gasoline or LP gas. Frig often are dual or even tri powered. In other words, will run on AC 110 generated by gas or LP powered generator, or directly on LP bottled gas. I've even had fridges that run on 12vdc from the battery as well, but that's less common.

Unless you are doing a lot of cooking and using a gas oven, heater at night, etc, you'll probably be ok on LP for a week or more. Gasoline for the external AC gas generator is another story. Likely if you run it very much, you'll need to refill every couple days. I recommend you check the oil as well when you refill gas, especially if you don't know the history of the generator.
much2naughty2

Postby pamplemusique » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 am

much2naughty2 wrote:Likely if you run it very much, you'll need to refill every couple days.

Any options to refill within BRC or do you need to bring all gas with you?

Would some sort of solar panel recharging setup be of any use?

Sorry if my questions are obvious once you've been. It's pretty clear that I'm a BM virgin. :oops:
pamplemusique

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 pm

For me part of the fun is planning and executing a structure that will create a nice environment for me and my friends to live in and around in between ventures out through the city.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with RV camping .
Parasitoid

Postby ragabashpup » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 pm

pamplemusique wrote:
much2naughty2 wrote:Likely if you run it very much, you'll need to refill every couple days.

Sorry if my questions are obvious once you've been. It's pretty clear that I'm a BM virgin. :oops:

No..there is nothing like that in brc you have to haul everything in
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby teardropper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 am

Well, I've given it a lot of thought. If you use an RV, you are a bad burner. And so, you must be punished. Just line up over there and we'll get to you.

If you use a tent, you may be a bad burner. You may voluntarily line up over there. You freaks.

You both will be punished. It's not that we want to, we have to. Read the back of your ticket.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 am

pamplemusique wrote:

The RV fridge will run on propane, as will the stove/oven, hot water heater, and furnace. If the tank is full, you'll have way more than enough propane for a week.
The furnace needs a little battery power for it's fan, the fridge a tiny bit for it's light and control board. The lights and water pump are battery.

The A/C is the big power draw, next is the microwave although of course that's only for short periods. You'll need the generator to be running for those, and you'll also want to run it a little every day because the RV will recharge it's batteries when the generator is running.

You can figure on about 1 gallon of fuel per hour to run most RV generators. It will draw fuel from the RV's gas tank, but the generator's fuel line is set up so it won't suck fuel after the gas tank gets below about 1/4 full, so you can't accidentally run the RV completely out of gas and strand yourself.

So: let's say you have a 50-gallon gas tank in the RV. If you arrive in BRC with it topped off, say in Gerlach just off the playa, you have about 3/4 of that available for the generator, roughly 36 gallons. Theoretically you've got about 36 hours of generator running time. If you want to leave the A/C on all day every day, (I do!) you'll need to bring more gas. Yep, you gotta bring your own.

A solar panel will help a little, maybe enough to keep the batteries topped off enough so you can operate most of the other RV systems, but unless it's an extremely large setup (that a rental RV isn't likely to have) it's not gonna make enough electricity for the A/C.

Last I checked, most RV rental agencies charged an additional $3/hour for generator running time, so remember to figure that into your budget too. Isn't that nice!
Captain Goddammit

Postby wiseguy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 am

Cool! We'll be there in our vintage (yea... that really just means old) 1967 16ft aristocrat trailer.... It's already got a quirky red/white paint job... It is plenty comfortable for us but not big enough to feel isolated from what's outside....

I am thinking of putting in a swamp cooler soon though.....

Robert

[quote="winebuff"][quote="AntiM"]Art challenge: sew a giant RV cozy cover so it looks nifty and not like every other RV out there. I know it can be done, I've seen it. At least I'm assuming that was an RV under that giant pink rabbit....

Or set up a "front porch" with chairs and such so you can interact with people on the street.

Genius is right, baffle that bitch.[/quote]

Hi AntiM

That is a GREAT idea! I am bringing a vintage 68 traielr I bought because I joined the sisters on the fly vintage womens trailer group. Just got a bitchin paint job and that would kill 2 birds with one stone :)

Challenge is on to make it into something great and protect it...[/quote]
wiseguy

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping