food

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:21 am

epic_elite wrote:on a recent back packing trip, a freind taught us to premake burritoes. the bon fires at night kept the sand hot enough so in the morning you could burry your burrito wrapped in tin foil in the sand and the residual heat would cook it for you.

You had bonfires in the back country? Where did you get the wood? (insert dirty joke here.) At anyrate, unless you're bringing your own firepit with your own sand, that will not work at BRC.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Blurt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:15 pm

[quote="phil"]> Heatermeals..... they look great, but $88 per meal? Not a chance.

It's eighty-eight bucks a CASE of HeaterMeal Plus kits.

From their Web site:

[quote]Each case has 12 HeaterMeals Plus Full Course Self-Heating Meal Kits

Every HeaterMeals Plus Meal Kit Includes:
Tasty 3/4 lb. HeaterMeals Self-Heating Entree
1-Musselman’s Cinnamon Applesauce
4-Bread Sticks
1-Squeezers Chocolate Peanut Butter
2-Stauffer’s Snicker Doodle Cookies
1-Pack of California Raisins
1-JB's Iced Tea with Lemon Drink
Cutlery Pack with Spoon, Napkin, Moist Towelette, Salt & Pepper, Salt Free Seasoning, and Crushed Red Pepper to Season to your Taste!
Patented TrueTech Food Heater Pouch
2 ounce packet of water to start heater[/quote]

and that's eighty-eight bucks for a dozen of those kits itemized above. That's about $7.50 per meal.

The price for a dozen entrees is shown as $53 bucks for a case of 12. If my math is correct (it's often not), that's 53/12=$4.50 per meal, more or less. We get a case of assorted entrees, since we don't want all the crap that's included in the Plus kit.[/quote]

Hah. Oops. Oh well. :oops: That is definitely a better deal. How big are they, for packing? Maybe next year, now that I have all my Tasty Bites
Blurt

Postby epic_elite » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:26 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="epic_elite"]
on a recent back packing trip, a freind taught us to premake burritoes. the bon fires at night kept the sand hot enough so in the morning you could burry your burrito wrapped in tin foil in the sand and the residual heat would cook it for you.[/quote]

You had bonfires in the back country? Where did you get the wood? (insert dirty joke here.) At anyrate, unless you're bringing your own firepit with your own sand, that will not work at BRC.[/quote]

no, but you can get a camp stove at target for $30. I bet most people will have one n e ways. ill be burrito-ing the hell out of this city!

also, you can close the lid of the stove. turn on the burner to the far left, place burrito @ far right. there you have it folks, an oven.

N E 1 burry a pig in the sand for a pig roast? lemme know, and ill be there!

fyi. im 75% joking and 25% hungry...
epic_elite

Postby moonstricken » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I was the official chef of our camp when we went in 2007 and I will be again for 2010 as I do it for a living.
I agree, vaccume packing your food stuffs saves a lot of space and keeps everything organized in your coolers. I am so nerotic i even went as far as labeling every package with a label maker so people would know what stuff was when i was not there. I also labeled the tops of the coolers wtih everything that was in there.
Some stuff you can prep ahead of time and then vacumme pack it. (i.e. chopping veggies to throw into eggs and shreadding cheese) Some stuff you can even fully cook ahead of time and then just reheat. (i.e. stirfry, pasta, fried rice)
I made full breakfasts for us and our neighbors including eggs with veggies and cheese, toasted english muffins, maybe a little sausage or veggie sausage and juice. For lunches i had pre made peanut butter and jellys all wrapped up and ready to go (totally easy and a lifesaver when you dont want to cook in the heat and need some comfort food), yogurt, homemade pasta salad, etc.
For dinners i made garden burgers, burgers, mac and cheese, ricotta stuffed pasta shells, and i cant remember what else ...
pasta is great to pre cook and flat pack and it will keep your energy up and give you some stable calories.
You really dont want to skimp on food, you will need your energy for those long nightly bike rides to center camp!
With a little planning ahead and organization you too can eat like a king in the desert! :D
p.s. energy bars in your fanny packs are your friend
moonstricken

Postby teardropper » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:38 am

A really nice snack or meal is the Bumblebee already made and canned chicken, tuna and ham salad. The little package comes with some crackers. I ate a few of those and have bought some more for next year. Yes, there is some packaging. But no clean up. No greywater production. Worth it to me. And tastes of so good on the playa.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 am

teardropper wrote:A really nice snack or meal is the Bumblebee already made and canned chicken, tuna and ham salad. The little package comes with some crackers. I ate a few of those and have bought some more for next year. Yes, there is some packaging. But no clean up. No greywater production. Worth it to me. And tastes of so good on the playa.

That's some nasty shit..
unjonharley

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 am

unjonharley wrote:
teardropper wrote:A really nice snack or meal is the Bumblebee already made and canned chicken, tuna and ham salad. The little package comes with some crackers. I ate a few of those and have bought some more for next year. Yes, there is some packaging. But no clean up. No greywater production. Worth it to me. And tastes of so good on the playa.

That's some nasty shit..

"says the composter man"....................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 am

The majority of that packaging can be disposed of pre-playa. Or, you can get the foil envelopes of misc. tuna flavours, and pack crackers in a box that you can burn when done.
C.f.M.

Postby teardropper » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Yeah, I take off some of the cardboard preplaya, but realized that the cardboard is good fire starter. Comes in handy.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Storing Booze

Postby EmilyD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm

Since we're not supposed to bring glass, what is the best way to transport one's booze? I imagine some plastics will affect the taste of booze so wanted to get some advice as to the best kind of bottles to store it in. Thanks.
EmilyD

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:13 pm

Bring your booze in their glass bottles. The no glass thing applies primarily to beer bottles. Just keep the glass containers in camp, mixed drinks go into plastic or metal water bottles for jaunts around the playa. We carry our booze in wine shipping boxes so they're protected during the journey.

We try to buy booze in plastic containers to donate to bars.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby EmilyD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for clarifying AntiM. Flasks for travel would probably be good then.
EmilyD

Postby Edana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Couscous! Boil water, remove from heat, add couscous, leave for 5 mins and it is done. No grey water, no prolonged cooking, instant and easy starch and it comes in assorted flavors too.
Edana

Re: Storing Booze

Postby teardropper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:08 pm

EmilyD wrote:Since we're not supposed to bring glass, what is the best way to transport one's booze? I imagine some plastics will affect the taste of booze so wanted to get some advice as to the best kind of bottles to store it in. Thanks.

You really want to drink your fine scotch out of plastic bottles? For the other stuff, you can get 3/4 liter hard plastic water bottles that will take a bottle. Don't keep them in it for a long time (what am I kiddin'?) and don't let them in the sun. Some alcohol comes in plastic bottle, especially the 1.5 qt ones. Easy to store the big bottles.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

You can purchase your top shelf liquor on the way to BRC and keep it in the glass bottles. EmilyD, since this is your first time attending, you should only bring the BEST quality booze for the occassion. Leave the store brand crap for lesser events! :D
Oh, and WELCOME to eplaya!
Sham

Postby EmilyD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Shambala wrote:You can purchase your top shelf liquor on the way to BRC and keep it in the glass bottles. EmilyD, since this is your first time attending, you should only bring the BEST quality booze for the occassion. Leave the store brand crap for lesser events! :D

LOL YES MAAAM! :lol:
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:22 pm

EmilyD wrote:
Shambala wrote:You can purchase your top shelf liquor on the way to BRC and keep it in the glass bottles. EmilyD, since this is your first time attending, you should only bring the BEST quality booze for the occassion. Leave the store brand crap for lesser events! :D

LOL YES MAAAM! :lol:
EmilyD

Postby teardropper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:35 pm

The hippie's a high roller...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:58 pm

EmilyD, I am only thinking of your camp mates in regards to the liquor. Kettle One is always appreciated and don't forget the olives!

Also, I'm a sir, not a ma'am! :roll:
Sham

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:30 am

Ahem. Top Shelf for camp and inexpensive for the big bars.

Hint: keep your camp booze tucked away. Random visitors have been know to help themselves to unattended booze.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby teardropper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:54 am

AntiM wrote:Ahem. Top Shelf for camp and inexpensive for the big bars. .

Yep. It'd sure cost more to give away gallons of the delicious Playa Breeze. And no one has complained yet. I look all year for the best deals on more inexpensive liquor. And you guys with the big theme bars...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby EmilyD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:14 pm

[quote="Shambala"]EmilyD, I am only thinking of your camp mates in regards to the liquor. Kettle One is always appreciated and don't forget the olives!

Also, I'm a sir, not a ma'am! :roll:[/quote]

YIKES, please to forgive me Shambala for the gender goof. I would NEVER forget the olives. I am a "perfect" martini girl (gin only please) and I usually use 4 enormous almond-stuffed olives from this place:

http://www.olivepit.com/

My husband is my personal bartender as I can't drink much...so I want each drink to really count!
EmilyD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

I am usually so jazzed and busy that it takes effort just to sit down calmy and finish a meal.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sham » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 pm

EmilyD wrote:http://www.olivepit.com/

My husband is my personal bartender as I can't drink much...so I want each drink to really count!

I found some great almond stuffed olives soaked in vermouth. It's stuff like this that will cause me to become an alcoholic.
Sham

Postby EmilyD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:31 am

LOL and mmmmmm! I've tried many an olive but none are close to the perfection that is The Olive Pit (located on HWY 5 North of Sacramento, CA). And no, I don't get a kickback from them, though maybe I should.
EmilyD

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:17 am

Guangzhou, China (CNN) -- Dogs bark and whine behind high chain-link fences, some of them gnawing the wire so hard they bleed at the mouths while cats packed into crowded cages cower in fear if anyone approaches.

This isn't a pet store -- it's a meat market in Guangzhou, a city in southern China where eating cats and dogs is common practice.

At the Han River Dog Meat Restaurant in central Guangzhou, diners can choose from a long list of menu items, including dog soup, dog steak, dog with tofu and more. In the kitchen, the chef chops up meat for dog hot pot, one of the more popular dishes. Most customers like it spicy.

"Dog meat is good for your health and metabolism," explains Li, the hostess who declined to give her first name. "In the summer it helps you sweat."

Should cat and dog meat be banned?

But these local restaurants may have to find a new specialty. The Chinese government is considering legislation that would make eating cats and dogs illegal.

Professor Chang Jiwen of the Chinese Academy of the Social Sciences is one of the law's top campaigners. "Cats and dogs are loyal friends to humans," he said. "A ban on eating them would show China has reached a new level of civilization."

Eating dog meat is a long-standing culinary tradition not just in China, but also Korea. Cat meat can be found on the menu in China, Vietnam and even parts of South America.

The Chinese government has signaled a willingness to take the meat off the market. To avoid upsetting international visitors during the Beijing Olympics, officials ordered dog meat off the menus at local markets. Officials in Guangzhou have warned vendors to stop selling it ahead of the Asian Games which will be held there later this year.

The ban on eating dog and cat meat is part of a larger proposal to toughen laws on animal welfare. Individual violators could face up to 15 days in prison and a small fine. Businesses found guilty of selling the meat risk fines up to 500,000 yuan ($73,500.)

The legislation is gaining support from China's growing number of pet owners. With living standards rising and disposable income growing, more Guangzhou residents are investing in house pets.

"I would never eat dog meat," said Louisa Yong, as she clutches her pet cocker spaniel. "It's so cruel!"

Meat vendors have a different view.

"The dogs you raise at home, you shouldn't eat," said Pan, a butcher who also declined to give his first name. "The kind raised for eating, we can eat those."

Many of the dogs and cats sold for meat are specially raised on farms. But Chang said there is always a chance they're someone's lost or stolen pet.

In anticipation of the new ban, dog and cat meat has become more difficult to find, though some vendors say they will keep selling it as long as they can.

"The legislation will definitely affect our restaurant," said Li. "We'll just wait to see the result."

And it seems restaurants don't necessarily need to change their menus anytime soon. According to the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the law prohibiting cat and dog meat could take as long as a decade to pass. Until then it's a la carte, from the cage into the kitchen.
Sham

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 am

I bet they dont have stray animal infestations around the city....I wonder if they ever air The Price is Right over there...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am

Fire_Moose wrote:I wonder if they ever air The Price is Right over there...

Don't forget to spay or neuter your dinner.... :shock:
Sham

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I am usually so jazzed...

...my eyes did not read the right vowel. :shock:
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 am

Could be jizzed, would you like it to be jizzed?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink