Playa dust and car paint.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Playa dust and car paint.

Postby geospyder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 am

I’m still in discussions with my better half about taking the Jeep instead of bumming a ride. It gives me a little more independence and I would not have to rely on others to haul my stuff, especially since I'll have my brother-in-law from the Netherlands with me. As far as I know he has never camped in his life.

I have no concern about playa dust in the vehicle. May be a pain in the ass to clean out but I could take off the hard top, open the floor drains and hose everything out. It's a 2007 but still has the basics like floor drains. My wife’s concern is that we use the Jeep as our main vehicle and she doesn’t want to deal with the dust. It is the dust that keeps her from attending Burning Man.

My main concern is what about the exterior paint. Will the playa dust make "permanent" damage to the paint? I plan to give it a heavy wax job to provide some protection. I also plan to cover it with a large tarp although I'm somewhat worried about that because of friction rubbing from the wind.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am

Just go with a good UV resistant wax and then a good car wash after. Don't forget the undercarriage. Skip the tarp, you're correct to fear the friction in this case.

Know where we have playa dust? In the door frames. No one cleans the vehicle with the doors open.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 am

Don't put a tarp or cover on it! You are correct, that will do more harm than good because of the wind. The kind of fine scratches that are possible from parking on the playa are easily buffed out, it won't really hurt your paint.
What it WILL hurt is anything that can corrode. That's the issue with playa dust.
You'll want to pressure wash the bejeezus out of the whole Jeep, underneath and all when you get back, and maybe even douse it in WD40. I've rusted the bottoms and engine compartments of several trucks going to Burning Man.

If you want to shield it, I think your best bet it to bring one of the 10x20 Costco carports to park it in, but you must tie the hell out of it so it doesn't crash up against your Jeep. A pretty good way to do that is to tie it to the Jeep in all directions from the inside. And I mean really tie it like you were expecting a hurricane.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby justfred » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 am

"I also plan to cover it with a large tarp although I'm somewhat worried about that because of friction rubbing from the wind."

Yes, ironically this is more likely to cause damage than just leaving it out. Only reason to cover with a tarp is if you have food inside or are sleeping in it or something, in which case, don't.

The blowing dust doesn't tend to have a lot of "weight" to it - unless you're exposed to open playa - so it's unlikely to scratch paint by itself. Tying tarps or tents or shade structures to the vehicle might cause some friction damage.

Then again, it's always possible a blowing tent or shade structure will be picked up by the wind and slam into your car all by itself. "Surprise!" is the new "Sorry!".

Another thing to worry about is dust in the ventilation system. It will get in there, and then when you turn on the AC you get a dust bath. Best way to prevent this is to turn off the ventilation when you get on the playa, then put a blanket over the vents on the hood while you're there.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby misfit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

we use our honda element as an emergency service vehicle on the playa, and have since 2003. no paint issues, but all year long we experience the playa when the vents are on. :D
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby epic_elite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm

for some reason my car was caked with dust. when i looked around, no one else had this problem. i noticed once i cleaned the vehicle, the finish was different than it was previously.

the color of my vehicle was described as "dusty-rose". but after a visit to the playa, the "dusty" part was gone. :P

im not sure if this is a result of the playa dust currosion, or the idiot at the car wash taking his scrub brush to my paintjob full of dirt to "preclean" it....

but yeah, my car is 13 years old and i no longer care about the paint one way or another. which is why i bring it.
epic_elite

Postby sambojones » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

i brought my fairly new lexus out there and it was fine i waxed it before bringing it and after i gave it a good wash and interior detail it took me a while but i got most of the dust cleaned out and didn't really have a problem with the vents being full of dust as it has a cabin air filter that caught all the dust. Although the engine bay is still fairly dusty and I'm not really sure how to clean that all out. The only thing that messed up my paint was driving it from dallas to BRC and back... rocks and shit from other cars/trucks chipped the front paint here and there but that's to be expected. I don't really care that much cuz I will keep it for another 200k miles :wink: people told me i shouldn't bring a nice car out there but it's the only vehicle I got and I too didn't like the idea of relying on others for a ride
sambojones

Postby geospyder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. A good wax job prior, a full wash after, seal the vents during and no tarp. Got it - thanks again.
geospyder

Postby epic_elite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 pm

geospyder wrote:Thanks for the responses. A good wax job prior, a full wash after, seal the vents during and no tarp. Got it - thanks again.

make sure you hose it down before you take it to the car wash. as i mentioned in my post, the idiot at the car wash took his brush to the dirt on my paint job.

holy swirls was that guy an idiot!
epic_elite

Postby Jmeier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 pm

sambojones wrote:i brought my fairly new lexus out there and it was fine i waxed it before bringing it and after i gave it a good wash and interior detail it took me a while but i got most of the dust cleaned out and didn't really have a problem with the vents being full of dust as it has a cabin air filter that caught all the dust. Although the engine bay is still fairly dusty and I'm not really sure how to clean that all out. The only thing that messed up my paint was driving it from dallas to BRC and back... rocks and shit from other cars/trucks chipped the front paint here and there but that's to be expected. I don't really care that much cuz I will keep it for another 200k miles :wink: people told me i shouldn't bring a nice car out there but it's the only vehicle I got and I too didn't like the idea of relying on others for a ride

I took the Vette my 1st year and it survived but I had a constant reminder of my shenanigans every time I turned the AC on for the next 6 months :)
Jmeier

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Jmeier wrote:
I took the Vette my 1st year and it survived but I had a constant reminder of my shenanigans every time I turned the AC on for the next 6 months :)

You took a 'Vette to Burning Man???
I'm not sure if I hate you or you're my hero!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby teardropper » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I haven't taken my car to Burning Man, but I've had out on the playa at Rendezvous. A couple of high speed runs across from our camp to Frog Pond and it was covered. I get little weepers of playa dust, still, when I wash it. Driving it may get dust in more places, but I'm not sure...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Jmeier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Jmeier wrote:

You took a 'Vette to Burning Man???
I'm not sure if I hate you or you're my hero!

One of my lovely campmates wrote "Feed me (something), I am green" on it and people stopped to take pics all week long.. :lol:

Seriously though, it was my fastest trip to/from there and I averaged 30 MPG so I was greener than a lot of people :) I'd do it again, but now it's my job to haul shit up.

Maybe next year we won't do anything and I'll be able to tow a teardrop behind it.. I will dub it "The Mini Burn"
Jmeier

Postby teardropper » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Cool, a teardrop. That's my other RV. The one I won't take back to the playa. But I do think a teardrop would make a great rig.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Jmeier » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Teardrops are cool, I'd love to have one for the random camping trips I take through the year. They are small but functional and they can hold temp better than my tent :)

The cost last year would have been $800 by the time I had the hitch installed so I just took the Jeep and bought a carport.
Jmeier

Postby Sail Man » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Also, bring another air filter to replace the one that will be filled with dust, after you leave the playa.

If your traveling a great distance afterwards also consider an oil change.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm

You live in Nevada, and yet you're worried about dust.

Please seek help, or trade in on a Willys jeep.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby geospyder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Bob wrote:You live in Nevada, and yet you're worried about dust.

Please seek help, or trade in on a Willys jeep.

Not me - my wife. I've owned many Jeeps including a Willys. The Willys was modified to run a 289 Ford, 5:38 gearing, the whole works. I was the president of a 4WD club at the time I built up that Jeep.

A little history on the current Jeep…

My last Jeep was a 1997 four banger with no air. Didn't bother me at all but my wife hated it if we went out in the desert and ate the dust. She asked if I could put air in it to pressurize the cabin. I told her no. She suggested that I get a new Jeep. I knew what she meant but took her literally and ordered a new Jeep from the factory. It was a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with all the bells and whistles. It has since then become our main vehicle.

Since it is our main vehicle I try to keep the ventilation as dust free as possible. Nevada pin stripping comes along with taking it off road but my wife hates dust blowing in her face when the fan is turned on. That is her big concern about me taking it to Burningman this year. I’m hoping to minimize the dust by using recirculation while on the Playa. I also plan to cover the vent intake next to the windshield. After Burningman I plan to remove the top and let the fan run full force for a while hoping to clear out most of the dust.

The dust is such a concern with her that she is willing for me to rent an SUV to take to Burningman. I told her that for the cost of the rental and cleaning afterwards that I could get one hell of a detailing plus have money left over. I’m still working on the situation. Wish me luck.

You've heard of stubborn Dutchmen? My wife was born in Amsterdam!
geospyder

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 pm

You should rent an economy car then, and have her pack it. That would be fun to watch on the Youtube.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Rice » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:54 pm

I would not panic too much about the playa dust!! Sure, my kid's car bleeds playa dust every time its washed (drove it there 2 years ago), just give it a good wash and some TLC it will be fine.

Many people complain about playa dust from the AC after a burn. I have never experienced that in any vehicle I drove there. (Is it due to the 2800Km drive home??) Just wondering {grin}

C ya on the Playa

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby geospyder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Yep - you'll see me and my Jeep on the playa. I got the official OK. Somehow I have the feeling it won't be as green on the way back from the playa :lol:

geospyder

Postby EmilyD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 am

justfred wrote:"

Another thing to worry about is dust in the ventilation system. It will get in there, and then when you turn on the AC you get a dust bath. Best way to prevent this is to turn off the ventilation when you get on the playa, then put a blanket over the vents on the hood while you're there.

Thanks for this tip!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 am

epic_elite wrote:but yeah, my car is 13 years old and i no longer care about the paint one way or another. which is why i bring it.

Hmmm sounds like a good foundation for an artcar! ;-)
EmilyD

Postby Rice » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:46 pm

I took a Honda Civic to the burn two years in a row and did not experience the dust issues in the A/C... I spent and average of 8 days on the Playa and did not use my vehicle at all when I was there. I started to use the A/C while in lineup on the way home and never noticed any "poof" of dust during the 2700KM trip home. Not saying I didn't have any dust in my vehicle, cause I still do...

I wonder, is it the direction I parked?? amount of dust (07 & 08)?? Did I have some fancy filter in my A/C intake? Any thoughts??

Rice
Rice

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I took my beautiful chevy out there, it did fine.......
before
after
Image]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:14 pm

I wonder if thats one of my (\'/) stickers, geo.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby geospyder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Think I got that one from one of my campmates. They also made the Geospyder stickers for me. The symbol inside the Nevada outline is the international Geocaching symbol.
geospyder

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 pm

ygmir wrote:I took my beautiful chevy out there, it did fine.......
before
after
Image]

Loving you ygmir, but those are different trucks.
Gonzo over-engineered the analysis and discovered this ruse. Different grills, chrome and tires.

The PoopMobile is a masterpiece of playa-factation.
I don't have pics. I just live with the horror everyday.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Risky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Here's robbidobbs vehicle on the playa -
Risky

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 pm

robbidobbs wrote:
ygmir wrote:I took my beautiful chevy out there, it did fine.......
before
after
Image]

Loving you ygmir, but those are different trucks.
Gonzo over-engineered the analysis and discovered this ruse. Different grills, chrome and tires.

The PoopMobile is a masterpiece of playa-factation.
I don't have pics. I just live with the horror everyday.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie-Project

ah yes........my ruse, and, attempted humor, have been unmasked.........

at least I found two white chevy's with the same body style.........I started with a Ford and a Diamond-Reo.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Next

Return to Transportation