ePlaya Fitness Club

All things outside of Burning Man.

ePlaya Fitness Club

Postby Elliot » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

:D
Several burners, on this board and elsewhere, have voiced a desire to improve their physical fitness between now and this year’s burn. Gotta look good in the costumes, and gotta have strength and stamina to party. I’d also like to live another several decades, with minimal impairments.

But with all the detrimental influences of modern society, proper nutrition and physical activity often get pushed aside. Living on a puter screen for hours a day doesn’t help. I, for one, earn part of my living researching and writing on the puter. So I propose an ePlaya Fitness Support Group. We outline our plan, and check in with our progress. Photos would make it much more lively.

I’ll go first:
My main physical activity is bicycling. I work at home, so I can easily go for a ride when the weather is suitable. Mid-day now; early morning in summer. As for my diet, I need to stay away from Demon Ice Cream – which I cannot stop eating until it is all gone. I ought to do some upper body exercising also, but have not figured out what. Maybe I’ll drag my old kayak out – after all, I live close to a lake.

I’ve been out on the bike four or five times already this year. It’s raining now, but I’ll post pictures from the first ride I go on.

Obviously, the wackier the "training photos" we can come up with, the better. I have something hiding in my garage that might be good for a laugh.

Anyone care to join me?

Edit: Add photo:

You may have seen me riding this on the Playa. Great fun -- specially drunk. But not an activity suitable for a flabby weakling! Time to get in training.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am

I've been trying to get out on my bike a couple times a week, riding around 7 miles a week at this point....gotta get my cycling stamina up!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 am

My nutritionist wants me on 1500 calories a day. I have the eating plan and the knowledge, even the motivation. But it is hard, damn hard. She says do my best as often as I can, and to track my eating patterns in writing.

I now have arthritis in my feet, walking becomes painful at random times. I'm afraid I'll far away from home and not be able to walk back. Bike? Nope, the deformed L-5 says no, plus the snow and ... everything. Swim? In Utah? maybe I can go up to the university, I am an alum after all. The bus goes up there. yeah, I don't drive, so getting around is something I have to work at. I know I make excuses.

I have a gazelle machine, a wii fit, and free weights. I like the wii fit, and it certainly helps.

I'm not getting in shape for the playa, I'm trying to lose some of my mass so I feel better. Oh, and not die of heart disease or diabetes, neither of which I have yet, but I'm a good candidate. Not dying too soon, good enough for me.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby RingO'Fire » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 am

I just graduated from college - again - in December, after working full time and going to school part time for the previous six years. So, the past few years I've been more-or-less constantly stressed out and haven't been exercising very much.

However, the past six weeks or so I've been swimming laps at the YMCA two to three times per week. I usually go 1000-2000 meters (40-80 lengths of the 25-meter pool), depending on how much time I have and my energy level on that day.

I've also been taking long walks with my dogs on a local "greenway" path on top of a levee once or twice per week. I like to go out on a little-used stretch of the greenway around dusk. That way I can let the dogs off the leash and let them run around.

I haven't lost any weight yet, but I've definately built up some stamina. I figure once swimming gets easy, I'll add in more cross-training exercises like the elliptical trainer, free weights, etc. Also, once the weather warms up, I'm going to bust out my bicycle and start going for some long-ish (hour or so) rides.

I'll start taking and posting some pics.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

the ONE nice thing about my job is we have a full gym on site, and i love (HA) that treadmill at lunch. currently 1.5 miles per day, m-th.
I also take advantage of a (not named) gym outside work 3-4 days per week. yes, it's usually full of pretentious meatheads and gym bunnies, oozing copious amounts of vanity.. but a good set of headphones and a healthy BM daydreaming habit usually allows me choke the vomit back.
:x
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:31 am

Just do what I do: train for and then run the Boston Marathon. (This year, April 19th. We will be partying in Cambridge the Saturday before and after the race.) I run 50+ miles a week and four times a week I do 240 situps with 30 pounds on my chest, three sets of weights at four different stations. Knock off the liquor for a month (that is the hard part, and that includes all alcohol including beer and wine) and eat a lot of fish and veggies. It works for me, but then again I'm a masochist.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 am

i shall call thee Terminator :lol:
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Postby lambert13 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 am

Once the snow melts I am going to ride my bicycle to work every day seeing as how I only live a few miles away from work.

I walk a few miles per day on my lunch break. I should stop eating pizza along the way though.

My wife and I are planing on joining the YMCA soon as well. Swimming is great exercise and I look forward to doing it.

Lastly, I want to buy a stand-up paddle surf board this summer. There is no ocean here, but I could use it on lakes. That is some great exercise. It works just about every muscle group in your body.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

Get about a ton of taclum powder, dump it in the street, get likkered up and try driving your dirt bike through it at night while being assaulted by strobe lights and not-your-kind-of-techno.

Repeat daily.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 am

gerlachedNloaded wrote:i shall call thee Terminator :lol:

most folks thrade the "T" for "Sp"........when referring to Doc.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 am

the legend continues, right ygmir?! :lol: i shall learn the Art of Doc
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:27 am

we can all, only hope, to stand in his shadow........to be as the "love remora", grabbing tidbits as he, the "love shark", plies the waterways of humanity, taking what he will, when he desires.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 am

This is amazing. I fully expected nothing but snark, but here we have something like half-dozen sincere posts in less than twelve hours.

I have also heard that swimming is the best excercise, utilizing all the muscles in the body, so I'm certainly in favor of AntiM taking the bus to the University pool.

My father was a fitness coach for folks with various disabilities, and they did a lot of swimming -- partly because swimming is also very forgiving for people with weaknesses like bum feet. With coaching, people are able to swim even if all they can do is wiggle their ears (so to speak).

Dad even had blind people going cross country skiing, which is also great all-round excercise.

Last June, I was briefly hospitalized for fatigue -- couldn't sleep hardly at all. The doc put the fear-of-Dawg in me and I started riding daily. A month later I finished the Kinetic Sculpture Race in Corvallis riding SOLO and didn't even get winded. If I hadn't gotten stuck in the Mud Pit, I'd have been second fastest. Just one month of vigorous riding (and decent sleep).

The weather is clearing, and I'm planning to go riding in a couple of hours. I even have a specific destination.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 am

Elliot wrote::D
This is amazing. I fully expected nothing but snark, but here we have something like half-dozen sincere posts in less than twelve hours.

I have also heard that swimming is the best excercise, utilizing all the muscles in the body, so I'm certainly in favor of AntiM taking the bus to the University pool.

My father was a fitness coach for folks with various disabilities, and they did a lot of swimming -- partly because swimming is also very forgiving for people with weaknesses like bum feet. With coaching, people are able to swim even if all they can do is wiggle their ears (so to speak).

Dad even had blind people going cross country skiing, which is also great all-round excercise.

Last June, I was briefly hospitalized for fatigue -- couldn't sleep hardly at all. The doc put the fear-of-Dawg in me and I started riding daily. A month later I finished the Kinetic Sculpture Race in Corvallis riding SOLO and didn't even get winded. If I hadn't gotten stuck in the Mud Pit, I'd have been second fastest. Just one month of vigorous riding (and decent sleep).

The weather is clearing, and I'm planning to go riding in a couple of hours. I even have a specific destination.

hey, you can't blame any of those serious posts on me.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 am

We all have our fitness routines. I believe Ygmir has a grim little weight-training routine for instance.
If you are trying to get in shape, some motivation really helps, whether it's getting a "playa body" or simply fit enough to tool around on the playa on a bike... So use it!

Is there a Lake Lahontan Swim Club this year?
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Is there a Lake Lahontan Swim Club this year?

don't they host the annual "submarine races"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 pm

so, ygmir, what you are REALLy saying.. is that the Man is actually made in the image of Doc.. i digress :)
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm

i just took a dump that had to of weighed 6 pounds. thats a pretty good fitness routine
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 pm

I gotta wonder about swimming for me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby misfit » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm

ePlaya Fitness Club = oxymoron
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Elliot » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 pm

All right, I left at 11:50 and returned at 13:05. Temperature 52 F, some blue sky, dirt roads wet, pavement mostly dry.

I live up on a hill, so this is what I see just a few blocks from my house. In a minute or less, I’ll be down in that valley, brakes smoking.

Today’s turnaround point. Scrap metal yard art is common around here, and this mail box stand is a local landmark.

Fishy, I don't know if you have any external plumbing that would need to be disconnected or otherwise secured in a sanitary manner. That would be the only thing that might slow you down -- but I bet even that could be handled. Based on what I learned from my father, swimming would be perfect for you.
Then there is the hand cycle. I believe Peter showed you an example last year. He can tailor make one for you, with motorcycle tires for reliability. You would just have to committ yourself to using it.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Are you trying to make the rest of us look bad? :oops:
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

like that'd be a struggle.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

So here is what I have been doing. This will be week five.
I have started decreasing my portion sizes and going by the standards that I found in my lovely little healthy living book. I have almost pretty much cut out red meat. Last night was the first time I have had it in a month and that is only because I seriously needed the iron. I should be taking vitamins but I can never seem to remember to take a pill. When I go out to eat in a resturant or some place where they serve me a portion I have only been eating half of it. I have also gone to the 5 meals a day method.
For workouts I am not doing a ton. Eleptical (sp) training and bike riding 1 day a week for an hour at the local gym pushing myself hard the whole time. I am going to increase that to twice a week I just didnt want to burn myself out at first. Doing more of the manual labor at work instead of just pushing it off on my temps (which I have been doing for the past 2 years)
When I go out for a smoke I am walking the whole time instead of just standing around the whole time. I have also given up on using elevators and am walking up and down the stairs at work.
So far I have lost 7 lbs but I am young so it is easier for my body. I have also noticed a decrease in size in some of my problem areas..you know muffin top, butt and thighs.
I think this thread is a FANTASTIC idea. Good luck to everyone and with your varied reasons for trying to get fit and healthy. AntiM if you need some diet encouragement feel free to hit me up. I swear that is the most painful part for me so far.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby Edana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 am

I'd like to lose 25lbs, but I think that might be optimistic....

Watching what I eat, decreasing/eliminating the white stuff (flour, rice, sugar), increasing veggies, focusing on healthier choices (grilled instead of fried), eating smaller portions.

Also, training for a 10k race end of May. Went from a couch potato to running a 5k race last August, but winter has made the training tough. Trying to get back on track with that.

Problem is that when I run I find I do not lose weight. A lot of fat turns to muscle, but I'm still the same (too big) size.
Edana

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks Ragabashpup! "Fantastic" may be a bit strong, but I think we can make it "useful".

Today's ride went into town. Primary destination: Post Office. There is no mail delivery on my dirt street, and the PO is perfect bike ride distance away.

Also stopped at the local lawn mower guru and looked at a derelict lawn tractor that has potential for powering the Baby Grand Piano.

Also visited a friend at the local bike shop. No, I still don't want to buy his store.

Thrift shop; bought John Grisham's "The Rainmaker", one dollar. Wonderfully gawdy long black jacket with good costume potential -- alas, too small for my Herculean shoulders. :lol:

Redbud Harbor:

Lake level is recovering nicely after all the rain.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

I went downstairs and got on the wii. Felt draggy, then dizzy.. Dammit, I have caught the cold Genius brought over the over day. I've been grazing today, craving proteins.

I do remember to take my pills. I have cute little Japanese pickle dishes and I fill one and set it on the kitchen counter. That way I can take them with food as I see them during the day. The ginger and garlic are helping my joints a great deal. I'm doing without my Celebrex, so I'm hoping the high BP will start to decrease.
AntiM

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Been getting interested in the Cave Man Diet. Has anyone tried this?
Vegetables and fruits, raw or steamed, small animals, baked or roasted, an occasional large animal (when shared with tribe members), few grains, lots of nuts, no sugar, but some honey. Just what was on the menu 100,000 years back!
Ugly Dougly

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:47 pm

The "colorful" human interest guy on the local morning news is on that diet. He's lost 25 pounds or more so far, quit smoking, works out, and takes his shirt off every chance he gets. A running joke, but looks like it is working for him.
AntiM

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Daily weigh-in:
Hard rain and cold wind today, so no bike ride. But the house is free of ice cream, cookies and chocolate, so I'm not backsliding.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Next

Return to Open Discussion