Bar registration....?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Bar registration....?

Postby TomServo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 am

Having been part of a registered theme camp, I believe we had to get a permit for our bar. And I'm a little embarassed, asking this, since I was the bartender. But, do all bars need permits? Registered or not? And if so, where do I start? I'm fully aware of the cleanliness and health issues, just not the legal shit.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby teardropper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

I want to bump this, as we are not a theme bar camp, we do serve a drink or two at our bar.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Let me bump it again... their are permits issued to food serving camps? If so, are bloody mary's not food? Do non registered camps need to adhere to the same standards? I'm not registering my camp for religious reasons, but don't want to get my camp in trouble, by serving booze.

....and once you've been through the legal system, you might be as cautious.
TomServo

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Bars require no permit, and you can serve, bloody martys, milkshakes , or all the olives and onions you want to in your martinis, as they are all considered drinks, regardless of the garnishes and such.
There is a gray area regarding barsnacks and such but I believe it will slide as long as people aren't lining up just to eat your bugles and Peanuts.
Just be sure to keep you scoop for the ice out of the ice container and you should be golden.
As long as you aren't serving up prepared foods or foods for the masses, you don't gotta have a permit.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you gotta have a permit to serve snowcones, unless it is just for your friends, of course.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:04 pm

I think it becomes problematic if you're supplying cups that are then recollected and washed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:29 pm

I encourage guests to bring their own cups. But as far as cups id provide, they would be used once.
TomServo

Return to Food & Drink