The Contraption 2010

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 am

Feeling a lot of engine envy right now..

Will sit in corner and suck thumb.
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 am

There are, of course, patina and rusting agents available.

I am so "no worthy" to comment on this thread. I do love it though, LCN, Karine.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 am

All are worthy, Fishy…

Especially you!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:10 pm

patina & rusting were the first things on my mind, too Fishy! Boy, that thing is tooooo shiny!
karine

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Oh I agree…

It’s far too new looking at the moment. Whatever patina that will be applied will have to be a paint-type finish. Ideally, real rust would be preferable, but that would mean sandblasting the current paint off. This thought scares the me severely, since I know how assertively compressed air can push abrasive material into places it shouldn’t be, especially on a working engine.

This just means we’ll have to be more crafty!
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Although, the thought just hit me. A careful use of power wire brushing, then a “splotchy“ topcoat of a period appropriate color, followed by a careful application of a rust-inducing chemical finish on the bare spots could yield a nice result.

I was examining the finish on the antique engine today and pondering on how to duplicate it. I’ll look in more detail tomorrow.

Any faux finishers lurking the thread?
LeChatNoir

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I think a trip or two to the playa will take care of all your patina needs!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 am

WOW!!!! Talk about vehicular evolution! You ROCK, LCN!!!

Comment over at the bar re lights. Why not a ring of non-converted Dietz Hurricane lanterns running K-1 around the periphery - They'd match the thematic of the contraption, and you could even get the cheaper black ones, strip the paint and induce... um... "patina".

Faux finishes aren't hard, depends on what result is desired... I like the old wash of ultra-thinned black lacquer over artificially rusted steel - looks rough, tumble, and gritty. Doing the deep "sandy" rust can be tricky (that's like 100 years of ma nature's handiwork) but soomeone once said dusty sand in the right color base paint looks good from a few feet.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby fciron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:14 pm

easy way to replicate the look of old farm equipment (AGRIPUNK!):

Start with bare metal; do a lousy job of brushing on paint, thin and blotchy; apply ferric nitrate solution (I got some, along with your knife switch.) and wait; perhaps moisten occasionally.

I can also advise on all-paint finishes. Heck, Mrs. Chat is a painter, ask her about sponges.
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

just paint some 30w oil on, throw in a little dirt and cat hair..

then light it off to burn it in..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm

I did some exploratory wire brushing today and I think that should do well to expose much of the iron casting. The silver paint that it’s coated with is only one layer without a primer so it comes off pretty easily. The castings are very well done, but they are still sand cast components and so have a nice texture to them already. Because of that I don’t think much in the way of an added texture will be needed.

My current thought is to wire brush much of the silver paint off, splotchily top coat with a nice dark farm implement red, wire brush again, then go over that with a chemical-based patina that will raise rust on any exposed iron-bearing surface. The final step, after the rust has come on well enough is to wash over most of it with a thinned black lacquer and oil it. I’ll do some tests this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Fc, I’m gong to be in your neighborhood tomorrow. Will you be around your shop?
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Comment over at the bar re lights. Why not a ring of non-converted Dietz Hurricane lanterns running K-1 around the periphery -

I keep going back and forth with that option. I’d think that they should be anchored in some fashion to keep them from swinging around to much, but that shouldn’t be much of a problem. And adding real flame lighting to counter the LED’s would be very nice, I think.

The biggest problem I’ve got at the moment is not being able to have the whole machine sitting outside where I can really look at it and try things out. March is just around the corner, though so it won’t be much longer ‘til I can roll her out in the yard.
LeChatNoir

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Low rider car guys have been known to bolt a block of magnesium (I believe) under the car and scrape it on the ground.
:D

NOOO!!! magnesium will catch fire, and you can't put it out. I use Titianium drag blocks on my mini truck. They make a huge amount of bright white sparks. (but thats dragging them on the street while driving) I get them from ebay. usually about $50 for (2) 2x3x3" blocks.

eta- Video of mini truck dragging Ti.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnsrSOgLEE[/youtube]
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Ahhh....Thanks for correcting me! So it is titanium they use! Well, I did say "I believe" about magnesium. Sure glad you showed up. We would not want to burn The Contraption to the ground!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Oh damn, you’re right bounce! I knew this and didn’t catch it either.

I’m reminded of a time back in tech school when a pile of magnesium chips caught on fire. One guy decided he’d try and put it out with a water hose. Fortunately the instructor caught him before he made it and grabbed a broom to franticly sweep the water away.

Heh Heh...

The last thing we want is a burning flywheel breaking free and zooming off uncontrollably into the night.

ETA: Great video example, by the way. I've got to play around with this to see what kind of Moop it might leave. This could be a lot of fun if done correctly.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:33 pm

And on a side note:

BBSue, upon reading that you were thinking of a 6 Hp hit-n-miss for a mutant vehicle, I immediately knew you had to see this slobbering, wheezing beast:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzq6GmYk8g&feature=related[/youtube]
LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 am

Oh, THAT'S fantastic!
karine

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 am

It sure is! I'm going to build you a cobblestone road like that to drive the Conniption on the playa this year!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Ah, LeChat!So great to see a new Contraption thread! And I'm really thrilled to hear you both are joining us on the playa once again! You were sorely missed last year! I can hardly wait to see the Contraption once again in all its new glory!!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby unjonharley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 am

bigbluedoggy wrote:Ah, LeChat!So great to see a new Contraption thread! And I'm really thrilled to hear you both are joining us on the playa once again! You were sorely missed last year! I can hardly wait to see the Contraption once again in all its new glory!!

Is the Bluedawgy up from his winter nap?? Did he not see his shadow on the 2nd?? Dose this mean Phill is wrong about six more weeks of winter??
unjonharley

regarding lighting

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm

I agree some amber colored head lamps would be perfect.

Something simple that would "light the body" with out giving that over glowwy rope light look, might be old fashioned big christmas lights just kinda strewn where they wouldn't get broken. The type would find in an old box in grandpas barn.

Also, on the back of the Contraption, maybe, two old stand up room lamps. The tall pull kind, with just a warm white light bulb on them. Or old lamp shades. They'd be tall, and bright.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 pm

unjonharley wrote:
bigbluedoggy wrote:Ah, LeChat!So great to see a new Contraption thread! And I'm really thrilled to hear you both are joining us on the playa once again! You were sorely missed last year! I can hardly wait to see the Contraption once again in all its new glory!!

Is the Bluedawgy up from his winter nap?? Did he not see his shadow on the 2nd?? Dose this mean Phill is wrong about six more weeks of winter??

Just been super busy in Defaultia. It's that time of year. :-( I'll try to stay awake more often as we get closer to August ;-)
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Good to see you Doggy!!

And good to see you on the thread as well, illy dilly. Swell ideas, too. Anytime someone says, “…like you might find in Grandpa’s barnâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:51 pm

illy dilly wrote:I agree some amber colored head lamps would be perfect.

Definitely amber. I’ve got the Cree bulb, optics and driver bookmarked (Thanks again oscillator)
LeChatNoir

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:18 am

I wonder if you could just use two regular camping-style lanterns with some sort of big parabolic reflectors up front. (Two old woks maybe??)
Maybe if you think they need it you could modify them for appearance to your liking.
Captain Goddammit

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:27 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I wonder if you could just use two regular camping-style lanterns with some sort of big parabolic reflectors up front. (Two old woks maybe??)
Maybe if you think they need it you could modify them for appearance to your liking.

Or convert the lantern to propane and find a reflecter in kitchen ware.. A stainess steel wash basen/mixing bowel comes to mind..
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 am

The old railroad lanterns with marbles for lenses. If you could find them.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:29 am

I’ve got a plan to form the larger reflectors (MWHAAA HAAA). I suspect they will be primarily for looks since the optics that oscillator showed earlier seem to do fine on their own. This, however will not stop me to dressing it up nicely.

Look for that update in the near future.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 am

AntiM wrote:The old railroad lanterns with marbles for lenses. If you could find them.

The railroad lanterns are getting hard to find and when you do , they’re expensive. I love the look of them, but I’ll have to actually make the headlights, I’m thinking. I'll certainly be taking cues from the older, beautiful designs. Should be a fun exercise.

I do have a request. I'm pretty sure I'll have to locate a second taillight for 2010. Currently, there's an old Dietz road hazard lamp (now with an LED in it) for a single tail light in the middle. Pretty sure I’ll have to have two this year, one on each side, and I'd like to find a matching lamp to this one:

I know where another one is but cannot justify $50 for it. The current lamp I paid $8 for at junk sale. I’m wanting one that is in equally poor shape (even if no longer usable as a fuel burning lamp) and equally affordable. As long as it’s sort of holding together and the round red lens is intact, it'll work. If any of you fine folk run across one somewhere like a local flea market or whatever, please let me know.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 am

In searching for similar lamps, I did run across these:

LED Hurricane Lamps

If they use the cool white LEDs (and they probably do) they might be easily hacked to use a warm white or amber bulb(s)
LeChatNoir

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Art & Performance