One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby lambert13 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:55 am

February so far

- Ordered 60+ feet of 2" wide industrial grade glow in the dark tape
- Bought safety lighting for my bicycle and LED lights for the wheels.
- Ordered a test pint of glow in the dark paint to see how well it works
- Designed a sticker for gifting purposes as well as to give my contact info
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Edana » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 pm

How so? I've reworked ours so everything that gets cooked will be boiled in vacuum bags. Except bacon.

Yep, that's pretty much it here too.

Do you have a source for cheap bandanas? About the best we've been able to find is a buck apiece. The pants sound cute!

A buck a piece is a good price. You only need 2 per pair of pants, and a bit of elastic for the waist. So easy to make and super cute to wear, not to mention cool, light and comfortable. And cheap enough that if they get completely trashed I won't mind.
Edana

Postby Bling » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Your little ones must be REALLY little for 2 bandanas to make pants. :D

We stopped by the fabric store tonight and I got fabric for my boot covers, and fleece to line our cooler covers. The sewing machine is in the shop for a tune-up, but when it's done, I'll be ready!
Bling

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 am

We (collectively, Genius, me and MyLarry) have gotten the hang of our silkscreening machine. Therefore, we need things to silkscreen on! I found a couple sources for bandannas, shirts and bags which are not too bad, but you have to buy in bulk. Inexpensive perhaps?

http://www.blankapparel.com
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 am

Not sure if this counts (mental preparation?), but I dreamed about BM last night! It was nighttime, and my sweetie and I were standing and looking out at all sorts of colorfully lit art on the Playa, and wanted to go out and see it.

But then, how do you find you way back to your camp at NIGHT? (I was anxious about this in my dream). In real life, we're bringing a glow-in-the-dark compass & will light our camp with solar LEDs, but does anyone have any night-time tricks for finding your way back in the dark, especially if a dust storm blows in?
Bling

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 am

you gotta know your address and directions, along with landmarks.......
it can be "challenging", depending on your mental state at the time, too.

don't depend on street signs, they don't always remain in place.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

Yeah, I've read that street signs pretty much vanish on burn night. Great souvenirs! We don't tend to alter our mental states, so other than sleep deprivation, should be pretty conscious. Just not so good with directions... 8)
Bling

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 am

Bling wrote:Yeah, I've read that street signs pretty much vanish on burn night. Great souvenirs! We don't tend to alter our mental states, so other than sleep deprivation, should be pretty conscious. Just not so good with directions... 8)

well,
good luck, then.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby LittleJack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:15 am

Geek alert! Geek alert! Okay, you've all been warned.

I am significantly directionally challenged.

Last year someone created a Burning Man API for GPS devices. Check out http://earth.burningman.com/api/docs/ for more details. I think a GPS is a great way to get around BRC, especially if it's mounted on your bike. There's also the camping specific Bushnell Backtrack device which only exists for you to find your camp (or car). http://www.rei.com/product/783567

All that said, it's great to have a flag or other landmark to find.
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am

Okay, now I need an iPhone version. :D
Bling

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 am

perhaps you could use it in conjunction with your cell phone and ipod?.........

perfect. something will get you back to camp.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am

Hmmm. Come to think of it, there is an iPhone app for finding a parked car... :D
Bling

Postby Victorian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

--Got back from my camping trip. I got a nice little sunburn (not bad at all, just a little red) to start my tan before bm so I don't burn as much while there in August.

--Got my vacation time approved by the boss for our Regional AZ burn in May, called Toast! from May 6th - 10th

--I also picked up my federal tax return from jackson hewitt today (about 700$)

Which I will be placing into my bank account, and purchasing my ticket with this week or the next!!!

BM, HERE I COME!
Victorian

Postby gaminwench » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Bling... the first evening on the playa, as the sun goes behind the mountains, go straight down your radial street towards the Man, cross Esplanade and continue 150 feet or so onto the playa. Turn around and admire your beautiful city as it comes to LIGHT. Note any Tall, LIT structures near your camp, then scan the two Esplanade blocks on either side of your radial for unusual shapes and tall lights... this should give you a 'homing' beacon from playaside!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm

gaminwench wrote:Bling... the first evening on the playa, as the sun goes behind the mountains, go straight down your radial street towards the Man, cross Esplanade and continue 150 feet or so onto the playa. Turn around and admire your beautiful city as it comes to LIGHT. Note any Tall, LIT structures near your camp, then scan the two Esplanade blocks on either side of your radial for unusual shapes and tall lights... this should give you a 'homing' beacon from playaside!

That sounds like excellent advice, Gaminwench. Thanks! :D

I have so far today managed to NOT buy an orange squaredance petticoat that I REALLY want to wear as a skirt on the Playa--but I'll nab it eventually. Orange! Flouncy! What's not to like? :P
Bling

Postby Victorian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Also this week. Some punker kid at my local blimpie subs had some tye dye duct tape on his jeans. YES. Tye DYe!

Totally heading to local walmart to pick that up. Duct tape always comes in handy!
Victorian

Postby CLARKcon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Got my battlesuit jumper (one piece coverall) plan on making some iron-on tranfers/iron on patches & fabric. Also, want to make a 1:24 very rough scale model of camp just to see the layout (been sketching on gridpaper) in 3D. Want to see angle's, etc...plus take it out to use as a guide when setting up the real COFFEE CAMP and eventually at the end of the week, b u r n it :D !
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby lonestoner916 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

FINALLY made it to the Post Office to pick my tickets! Looking at them now. In a few minutes I'm going to make some iron on transfers for t-shirts.
lonestoner916

Postby geospyder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Just received three strings (ten foot each) of multi colored blinking led lights operated by three AA batteries. You'll definitely see me coming and going. As far as finding my way back to camp? The first thing I do when I arrive is waypoint my camp on my GPS. GPS stays with me in my backpack. Had to use it last year on Saturday during the white out before the burn.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby rodiponer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Milled a few more of the hundreds (hundreds!) of joints I need to make the twelve legged walking machine.
Second day of learning to TIG weld. I figured out how to reliably weld 1/16th and 1/8th inch thick tubing together.
ImageImage
Next I have to learn how to weld the joints to the thin tubing. So far it is a complete disaster, when I don't melt a hole into the tubing I collapse the joints into a liquified blob of aluminum.
rodiponer

Postby Edana » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

<------------------------

Your little ones must be REALLY little for 2 bandanas to make pants.

Well, they are really little, even for their ages, but the pants/shorts should fit kids from about 4 to 10yrs. They're just shorter on the older kids.

http://blueyonder.typepad.com/photos/bandana_pants/index.html
Edana

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:58 am

to hell with GPS...

we've been bagging and tagging our campers for years with RFID chips.

it makes exodus ALOT easier...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby pinemom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:36 am

rodiponer wrote:Milled a few more of the hundreds (hundreds!) of joints I need to make the twelve legged walking machine.
Second day of learning to TIG weld. I figured out how to reliably weld 1/16th and 1/8th inch thick tubing together.
ImageImage
Next I have to learn how to weld the joints to the thin tubing. So far it is a complete disaster, when I don't melt a hole into the tubing I collapse the joints into a liquified blob of aluminum.

When you go to the thinner sections readjust your gas(lower!)
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Victorian » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Today I'll be organizing my spare bedroom, getting it ready for all the stuff I'll be buying shortly! Plastic storage bins for now just to hold all the junk miscelaniously.

Buying my ticket sometime this next week...

Painting my umbrella tonight...

Not sure what else!
Victorian

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 pm

I got my glow-in-the-dark compass, 1-quart ice cream ball, and electrolyte powder in the mail today, and tonight I think I'll make a template for boot covers. :D
Bling

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Bling wrote:Do you have a source for cheap bandanas? About the best we've been able to find is a buck apiece. The pants sound cute!

Do YOU have a source? Do they have plain colors? I'd probably pay a buck apiece. Unless I can get them cheaper. I need 3 or 4 dozen.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm

I bought a couple of dozen on eBay. Lots of vendors have them. Ours have various patterns, and I don't recall if there were solids.
Bling

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Getting me another bottle for the Fountain of Truth, One for the trials this weekend, and one or 2 for the gig this weekend. ;) Prolly a case of Peeber too... just to have it.

Missing out on some awesome bar glass, and a persian rug for the Kantina, tho- there's an estate sale in the bay area that has some amazing stuff (saw the pix)... poo!!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Edana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 pm

OK this may be tmi, but today I bought a personal torture device - aka an epilator. I've been wanting to make the switch away from shaving a few times a week, and since I really don't want prickly legs at BM, now is as good a time as any to make the switch. Waxing is out for health issues, so instead I'm staring to use the epilator.

But damn it HURTS!
Edana

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:31 pm

Ow! Ow, ow, ow. I'd go for hairy before I'd do that. :P
Bling

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks