arrest made at 10:00 and Esplanade 2009 HELP

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:45 am

failblog wrote:the regionals are just smaller versions of what burning man is today. the regional organizers are of the same rigid hierarchical mindset as the borg.

if you've been to a few of regionals, you'll notice the same 'us' vs 'them' mentality that has killed the soul of the main event.

it's a franchise caste system that is now fully mainstream. aside from a few bells & whistles, BM (including the regionals) no longer sounds like cacophony. this would be fine, if it didn't pretend to be something it is no longer, and as this 'thing' - absorbing the creative energy of so many artists and others in its capitalistic pursuit of more and more and bigger and bigger.

We apparently go to different regionals.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby failblog » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:then why the fuck are you here?

sorry. thought it was obvious. i'm a dissenting voice... gosh!
failblog

Postby Isotopia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm

A pretty awesome, salient post there Spec.

I'm a hundred percent behind you POV - as if you needed it.
Isotopia

Postby spectabillis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 pm

hey thanks.

not trying to sound 'anti-authoritarian' or saying cops are evil or something, because we rely on certain people and services in a nominal society that contains some screwed up people and places. but i wonder how long until the history gets downplayed or rewritten - where people start saying the reasons for the great atmosphere and relative safety is due to leo and ems presence.
spectabillis

Dissent or Dissident?

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:25 pm

while i appreciate the invitation, it was hard enough getting you circle-jerking narcissists *out* of my life.

so why did you cum back? electronic masochist?
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby peterson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:33 pm

I suspect, Roberto, that we'll never know. I think we've heard the last of Failblog in the same way we've never heard again from so many others once here who dared to question or criticize these going-ons that became such a significant part of their lives.

I suppose he or she is still regularly infected by Burning Man dreams, and on some deep level still cares greatly about what it meant, and what it means. Seeing it now embraced as a mere comfortable vacation in the desert, shrugging off its own history at every turn, must give rise to contempt and even a bit of anger.

So when they come back as socks, it's best to let them be and give them a wide berth - because they're you in a few years, and you'll be back too.
peterson

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I dunno. Somehow, if iI were hanging out at the Innsbruck Train Station looking for what I lost there, I'd been seen as utterly pathetic, perhaps deranged. Things change. Sometimes for the worse. You gotta cut your loses sometime.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Dr. Peterson, i presume.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

A Will O' The Wisp...

i am all for dissent and appreciate the warning, things do seem to cycle, like Fortuna and her wheel.

but i also look towards the future with high hopes.

I have seen the evolution of burning man first hand, maybe not as long or as in depth as others, but for a pretty long while now, it has been a very large part of my life, my state of mind, and my sense of who and what i am and what i must do.

yes, it has changed. yes, it's the same old shit. yes, i still love it, flaws and all.

when i see people picking at the real or imagined scabs simply to wound or re-injure something i love, i defend it.

case in point, failblog.

for whatever reason, it seemed nasty, not constructive, and i know, i have politically tourette syndrome myself, so i say alot of stupid shit, but it's always with the intention of laughter as an end result, not hard feelings.

and i have felt disillusioned more than once about the direction the festival has seemingly taken at times, only to fall in love with it all over again, again and again.

Have we been lulled into a psuedo-chaotic complacency? Content with the simulacre of true creativity? A nice Comfy zone out of the Comfort Zone?

maybe.

will i stop participating and contributing because of an apparent watering down of the festivals origins and flavor?

probably not, i have way too much fucking fun, and i really love the people i meet out there, as well as an almost sacred reverence for the playa and the surrounding black rock high desert region.

i guess i'm a little protective sometimes of it, i do call it home, and i actually mean it.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Dr. Peterson, i presume.

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:when i see people picking at the real or imagined scabs simply to wound or re-injure something i love, i defend it. ... i guess i'm a little protective sometimes of it, i do call it home, and i actually mean it.

i doubt you can be objective about it or others, but not surprising since thats almost a requirement to support a higher ratio of sheeple. even though many others feel the same way, fortunately the healthy people i know and still associate with also have a life outside of bman.

the difference is a luggage check. since its all cary-on, unfortunately means the rest of us have to contend with yours.
spectabillis

Re: Dissent or Dissident?

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:so why did you cum back? electronic masochist?

so who are you a sock of, hmmmm?
spectabillis

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:41 am

Spec....a run down of my socks...

I am Roberto Dobbisano, Liz Estrada, H.G. Crosby, Snowah Zark, ZeroandOne, Adam Link, Jerome Templaugh, and Simon of the Playa.

there, for anyone keeping score.

the difference is a luggage check. since its all cary-on, unfortunately means the rest of us have to contend with yours.

and i would have say the same for you, and pretty much anyone on these boards, i think thats a given.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:47 am

exactly. but im pretty sure you didnt get that point, or understanding others dealing with your sock replies and who's actually posting them... just like having to deal with others baggage.
spectabillis

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 pm

i understand / understood, and do appreciate the acute observances and postulations that you make, you are an intelligent, well spoken man.

I use my socks to represent the many facets of my personality and to sometimes further a point or issue from a different, albeit the same perspective.

i can also play my own straight guy, and fool.

so yes, i suppose i am bringing on alot of carry-on pieces, but they're small, and stow easily under the seat.

now if i can only get the stewardess to bring me a drink.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ibdave » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i understand / understood, and do appreciate the acute observances and postulations that you make, you are an intelligent, well spoken man.

I use my socks to represent the many facets of my personality and to sometimes further a point or issue from a different, albeit the same perspective.

i can also play my own straight guy, and fool.

so yes, i suppose i am bringing on alot of carry-on pieces, but they're small, and stow easily under the seat.

now if i can only get the stewardess to bring me a drink.

Simon, Liz Estrada is your best sock, She smells as bad as they come also... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 pm

my female persona is a disgruntled bull dyke, go figure...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:59 pm

hahaha, I think, at a point, I may have PM'ed her when she first appeared..........hahahahaa

krever devil, you roun eye man
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 am

ygmir wrote:
krever devil, you roun eye man

I first read that as "one eye man"

I wonder which one of Simon's socks has a Chinese accent ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:14 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:I use my socks to represent the many facets of my personality and to sometimes further a point or issue from a different, albeit the same perspective.

thats a weird excuse for flipping someone shit with two accounts, so if you cant see how thats questionable behavior... im done here.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:09 am

so i woke and couldnt go back to sleep, thinking i would read some other topics and... wow... just, wow.

slightly different perception after that, i mean whats the point in trying to have any decent discussion now. checked it against my posting history and realized a certain optimistic sense of blindness that can no longer hold through fighting all the crap for some semblance of civility, or vain hope in a topic of understanding.

used to be seasonal and sporadic, but its consistant now. this place is really fucked beyond what i thought could ever be possible.
spectabillis

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 am

so if you cant see how thats questionable behavior... im done here.

as you wish.

it is art, a performance piece, and if you cant see that, well i'm questioning...
Roberto Dobbisano

get that fiddler off of the roof RIGHT NOW!

Postby H.G.Crosby » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 am

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 am

spectabillis wrote:used to be seasonal and sporadic, but its consistant now. this place is really fucked beyond what i thought could ever be possible.

Oh wow, I wake up to see the Spectabillis anti-sock crusade is back with a fucking vengeance.

This board is not fucked. Your perception of how things need to be run around here is what's fucked. If it's not broke, don't fix it and especially put the fix it kit in the hands of an ex-moderator with a chip on his shoulder the size of fucking Texas. The eplaya is doing just fine with it's current mix of people, socks, snark, etc...maybe it's time for you to step back and do some serious introspection. Or maybe it's time for you to get a medical marijuana card and find a dispensary who can hook you up with something to make you a little less hostile. Whatever it takes you need to do something as your past, present, and hopefully NOT future attitude blows bloated donkey balls.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

when life hands you Lemons, add Vodka.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kiDt7BwvQ[/youtube]
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Boijoy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 am

i'm going to have to print this thread so I can cross referece Simon.. He's like the many faces of Eve.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

multiple multips.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 am

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Sail Man » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:then why the fuck are you here?

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 am

well definately fuck me for not clearing notification on new posts

hydraheadded nightmare wrote:If it's not broke, don't fix it and especially put the fix it kit in the hands of an ex-moderator with a chip on his shoulder the size of fucking Texas. The eplaya is doing just fine with it's current mix of people, socks, snark, etc..

i have no inclination to fix anything - unfortunately its a deep appreciation that there isnt much left of value to deserve fixing. and to think that many senior staff used to frequent here, some of the most enigmatic names in thinkers and art, the greatest pranksters, even world press used to lurk about... but since this is the current user-base's idea of something that works, you can argue and justify it by whatever means, and i have absolutely no doubt you will...

...because its not a nice or comfortable feeling to be told something you are involved with has grown ugly.

so best of luck with that repressed anger thing k, im sure you can continue to enjoy plenty of opportunities to vent here. in the rare case its not, suicide is probably an acceptable option.
spectabillis

Go Ahead, Shoot Me.

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 am

and painless...

sorry you feel that way spec...best of luck in whatever it is you do.

just dont tell me i'm doing it wrong, mmmK?
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:56 am

Every time I look at Roberto Dobbisano's avatar, I think it's Moe with a pipe.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

close enough

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

its actually alan arkin sr.
Roberto Dobbisano

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man