Long Hair Poll

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

While at Burning Man, my long hair is;

Braided (corn rows, mini braids, braids with beads, etc)
29%
Dreaded (Do you get it done before BM or is this year round for some?)
4%
Free-Falling (wash rarely)
48%
Different Styles each Day (wash often)
18%

Total votes : 89

Long Hair Poll

Postby Victorian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:16 pm

I have quite long hair, and I am camping solo this year from arizona. I will be meeting a theme camp with a community shower, but for sake of bare necesseties, I'm trying to decide on what to do with my darn thick hair. I'm not really a girly girl. I can rough it, but I wanted to get some advice from vet burners...

So... what do YOU do with YOUR hair?

*I've heard of Dr. Bonners. Does this work well for shampoos? Or should I consider other products if I do want to wash my hair.

How often do you wash your hair?

Consider this is "ALL HAIR CARE THREAD"

Cheers :D

Kate
Victorian

Postby ragabashpup » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 pm

I dont wash it at all but my friend braids ribbon in before we leave and it protects it a good deal so I just leave it braided all week.
Now that my hair is shaved underneath and most likely the top will only be as long as my chin by the burn I have no freaking idea what I am going to do.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby Victorian » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Ribbon to protect the hair's a great idea!

For shorter hair to braid: Steven Baldwin's look in Bio Dome? Hahah

:lol:

Victorian

Postby ragabashpup » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah my hair gets really weird when braiding it short. Soo I dunno maybe I will just go bald before the burn. Yeah bald girlies I havent done it in 8 years so maybe its time.
ragabashpup

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:18 pm

ragabashpup wrote:Now that my hair is shaved underneath and most likely the top will only be as long as my chin by the burn

WHAT?! I guess I haven't got a right to bitch cuz mine is a super tight flat top...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby ragabashpup » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
ragabashpup wrote:Now that my hair is shaved underneath and most likely the top will only be as long as my chin by the burn

WHAT?! I guess I haven't got a right to bitch cuz mine is a super tight flat top...

Well you still live near me right Captian we can grab lunch or something any you can see it. You going to the burn this year I have seen posts that you may not be.
ragabashpup

Re: Long Hair Poll

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 am

Victorian wrote:I have quite long hair, and I am camping solo this year from arizona. I will be meeting a theme camp with a community shower, but for sake of bare necesseties, I'm trying to decide on what to do with my darn thick hair. I'm not really a girly girl. I can rough it, but I wanted to get some advice from vet burners...

So... what do YOU do with YOUR hair?

*I've heard of Dr. Bonners. Does this work well for shampoos? Or should I consider other products if I do want to wash my hair.

How often do you wash your hair?

Consider this is "ALL HAIR CARE THREAD"

Cheers :D

Kate

I did whatever I felt like, usually pulled up for comfort - would definitely keep it more braided and up if I go again. I washed it several times throughout the week.

I do not like Dr. Bronner's on my hair, too drying. But it works fine for my hair.

What you do with/what works for your hair is really just up to you.

Dreadfalls. Yarn braids. Bandannas. Shave it off.

I'm fine with it exposed.

You should sign up @ tribe.net, and the Burning Woman tribe, and read the plethora of threads on misc. hair options there.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby LostinReno » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Last year was my virgin burn, I have long hair and left it hanging down. The first day I couldn't comb it...nothing would get through it. The second day I was lucky enough to actually wash my hair with lots of conditioner (my hair is super fine and was already turning into dreads :shock: ), one of my campmates french braided it, which lasted maybe two days, then she had to braid it again towards the end of the week. This year I would love to do cornrows. So on that note, does anybody know a good connection to get cornrows done in the Reno area?....for a reasonable price!
LostinReno

Postby gypsy68 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I have a lot of hair, but it is very fine, and straight. I usually just braid it everyday. I run a pick/wide tooth comb through it (This is the only thing I have used on my hair for the last 20 years). I usually braid it as soon as I get up, and will re-braid it before going to sleep. My hair will not stay in cornrows.
As for washing my hair, I usually only have to do it every 2 or 3 days on the playa. At home I wash it everyday, but because it’s so dry out there, I can go longer. When I do wash it I use a small amount of conditioner that I don't wash out at the end.
Again this is what works for me.
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby love4modeltrains » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm

i think its coll to be long hair.. with a proper shampoo it would straight longer and longer!!!
love4modeltrains

Postby cosmicdancer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Sometimes there are perks to having short hair. Mine is long now--at 4 inches. Come summertime, it's usually 2 inches and fun and spikey. A pixie cut - that's it! I assume that my hair will look sort of frizzy and dready, but that's just fine. I may buy some pony tail falls for night time, but my hair woes should be at a minimum.

My friend has shoulder length thick, curly hair, and she was wondering what do do. Braids may be a good option. It will be interesting to read what others have done. With the lack of showering and dry conditions, both must wreck havock on hair...
cosmicdancer

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I shave my head completely bald and that isn't even an option in this stupid poll. If you don't believe me, look at the 2009 Black Rock Year Book (just out on the internet) and on Page 6 you'll see me and Sunset. I'm the one with the shaved head.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby cosmicdancer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:08 pm

That's the easiest if solutions. Then, all you need is sunscreen and some hats ;).

Simplicity seems to work best on the Playa...
cosmicdancer

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

cosmicdancer wrote:Sometimes there are perks to having short hair. Mine is long now--at 4 inches. Come summertime, it's usually 2 inches and fun and spikey. A pixie cut - that's it! ...

I can't wait to tell the barber next time to give me a pixie cut.

They never seem to know what to do, I am sure this will make it much easier for him.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Victorian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:05 pm

I chopped off four inches today, nothing to do with the trip, but just on a whim. Should be back to it's long length by august though. I think I'll just go with some regular braids. Thanks guys!
Victorian

Postby danibel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 am

ah hair! Thanks for asking. Last year was my first burn and I was semi prepared for the mess that became my head. My sister and I arrived on Tuesday and by Thursday morning we washed our heads over a bucket. It felt great! My hair was just at my shoulders so after a quick comb out (I left a good amount of conditioner on the ends) I pulled it in a pony. The washout felt so good we did it Friday too. I left it up in a pony and under a scarf and didn't really have the time to wash it again until a shower late Sunday afternoon at a friends camp.
I having been thinking about what I am going to do with my hair (along with every other obsessive BM planning aspect you can imagine, yes, I know you can imagine a lot) and what the heck I am going to do with it, so that I don't end up in reno the driest frizziest mess you have ever seen. I still chuckle when I think back to the image of me in a mirror at Circus Circus. Ha! I know what I am going to look like as a gray old lady. Ah, playa dust. It took a week of washing and conditioning to restore my hair to preplaya.
I am letting it grow out and it's already past my shoulders, by August I will have decent length for braids. Super tight french or cornrows are under current consideration. I like the idea of colored fabric in the braids, as protection and pretty! =)
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:52 am

Simple. Bring enough water to wash it all you want.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:48 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Simple. Bring enough water to wash it all you want.

And a plan for not mooping your water, clean or dirty, on the playa.
C.f.M.

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Simple. Pour it back into the containers you brought it in.
Captain Goddammit

Postby Sail Man » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 am

cosmicdancer wrote:That's the easiest if solutions. Then, all you need is sunscreen and some hats ;).

Or a nice big orange wig :lol:

I'm hip with the Doc, no short hair option in the poll?!?

I do a wee bit o'mohawk meself and wash it with tequila :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 am

Sail Man wrote:
cosmicdancer wrote:That's the easiest if solutions. Then, all you need is sunscreen and some hats ;).

Or a nice big orange wig :lol:

I'm hip with the Doc, no short hair option in the poll?!?

I do a wee bit o'mohawk meself and wash it with tequila :wink:

She has long hair, hence no short hair options, as it isn't an option (aside from an obvious one, "cut your long hair you are asking what to do with off").

Mmm. Mohawks AND tequila? Two of my favourite things.
C.f.M.

Postby archeolojust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 am

don't forget scalps can burn...and that sucks something fierce.
archeolojust

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:03 am

archeolojust wrote:don't forget scalps can burn...and that sucks something fierce.

Yeah it does.

I was told the sun reflecting off the ground (like with snow) will also sunburn, and sunscreen on one's nether regions could be needed.
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 am

My niece was wearng lacy boy shorts and went out for a bike ride. She put on plenty of sunscreen... in the usual areas. She had the cutest, most painful lace sunburn on her butt the next day!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby archeolojust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah snow does reflect. I've gotten my worst sunburns from snow skiing. I'd imagine the playa may, as well. Good call. Hadn't thought of that. Though I don't plan to be naked.
archeolojust

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 pm

AntiM wrote:My niece was wearng lacy boy shorts

Gotta ask... how can lacy shorts be boy shorts?
Captain Goddammit

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Oh alright. Lacy shorts in a boy short style cut. Happy now?
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I have curly hair. Really curly hair. Like Shirley Temple curly.
So, for all intents and purposes, all bets are off. No matter what I do to/for it, it's gonna be a rat's nest by the end of the sesquisennight.

Can't braid. Won't braid, and too short.
The braids tangle insanely even if I try, because the braids are tighter than the curl and it goes wherever it wants.
Cornrows are great for crinkly curls, which I don't have.
It dries at the drop of the hat, and splits shortly thereafter.
Oddly enough, Dr. Bronner's doesn't agree with my collagen (read: hair and skin). I have no idea why. Whonky genes. So I don't wash with Dr. Bronner's.

I have found that a few tablespoons of olive oil blended with orange or lemon oil, applied instantly after a shower, helps to forestall the inevitable. But I still have to attack it with Clairol Intensive Care once I'm off the Playa.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby NyxyNox » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:16 pm

I plan to do "Fairy Hair".

Last year, i just let it fall free and it was a nightmare! I was looking around the internet for ideas on what to do with my long, thick hair and I stumbled upon this. It looks like it is simple to do on my own and less expensive then buying or making felted dreads. Plus it looks funky and I like funky!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ortm8iMwas[/youtube]
NyxyNox

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Tying a lighter and spork into my hair...notsomuch.

Looks fun - on her.

Too heavy and "busy" for me!
C.f.M.

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear