Realllly good clothing/costume source

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Realllly good clothing/costume source

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Esp. if you want a "playa coat" but not the $200ish price tag.

Shop Goodwill thrift stores on-line.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Si ... 36693.html

I found several ground-length fur and faux fur coats (in addition to other fun stuff) just today.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby phil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 pm

> This one freaks me out more than animal stoles usually do:

It looks like Alf!

phil

Postby epic_elite » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 pm

this one reminds me of something my grandma would wear when she was young...

which i think makes it appropriate playa wear in many peeplez eyes.
[/img]
epic_elite

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:34 pm

epic_elite wrote:

[/img]

Well, belly bunnies and mini top hats are so passe (well, at least for us cool kids who did that like, YEARS ago) so I'm sure old people chic could be the next big playa wear look.
C.f.M.

Postby phil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Louise bought this shirt at a goodwill in Reno; the price was some amount by the pound, so we can't assign a price to it, but it was cheap:
Obligatory link back to flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/4298218045/

and she embroidered the front and back for playa wear.
phil

Postby epic_elite » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:54 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
epic_elite wrote:

[/img]

Well, belly bunnies and mini top hats are so passe (well, at least for us cool kids who did that like, YEARS ago) so I'm sure old people chic could be the next big playa wear look.

so it's okay to draw inspiration from Mickey Rourke? ive been waiting for purple shiny suits to make a comeback!
epic_elite

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 am

Meh. I've seen plenty of guys sporting a nice Ed Hardy look out there, why not. :roll:

(rolling eyes at the frat boy ravers that show up, not you)

Nice Metropolis font stencil, there.

I made some shirts for some people like that, only with a bleach pen.
C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 am

I'm on the lookout for a couple of these

C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:06 am

So you're coming back?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:So you're coming back?

I doubt it. It is crazy expensive.

But never say never, because never is forever and forever is a long, long time!

My brain won't stop preparing.
C.f.M.

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I'm on the lookout for a couple of these

I'd like to find a couple of those as well.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

C.f.M. wrote:

...My brain won't stop preparing.

There's no-no in your eyes, but yes-yes in your preparation. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

Plenty of yes in the eyes, too! And the...everywhere else. :shock:

All the no is in the wallet...well, and some in the brain. I could take a nice trip to Prague, or somewhere new, instead of another week at the desert rave... :twisted:
C.f.M.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Prague isn't new. It's been there hundreds of years!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Prague isn't new. It's been there hundreds of years!

I said Prague or somewhere new. As in, new to me. Which Prague isn't.
C.f.M.

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

good shit! i'm hooked on that site now! currently bidding on a faux fur vest and 3 old man derby hats, complete with faux fur and a feathers :) maybe the start of my costumage!
gerlachedNloaded

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby britzbitz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 am

Another great place for costume shopping is etsy.com. Prices vary pretty widely, but you can get some great deals on great, unique items.

I like to by pasties, bustles, etc from there. :)

They also have the 'alchemy' option, where you can post a description of what you want, possibly even pictures/concept drawings if you have them, your price range, and artists bid on making your requested item. Pretty friggin' cool if you ask me.

Ladies looking for corset type costumes, check this out:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/victoriavelvet

http://www.victoriavelvet.com/

I adore the Victoria Velvet costumes. And while many of her costumes incorporate feather boas, which I know are a big no-no, you can just request a custom order sans-feathers. She has a couple designs with really nice drape-y fabric instead.

Her prices are great...you can hardly get a corset on it's own for the price she sells these for.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 am

Etsy's a great source of inspiration, but not purchases for those of us on a much tighter budget. Otherwise Lovechild Boudoir, Kambriel and quite a few other stores would be in my trunk.
C.f.M.

Postby britzbitz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am

Fair enough.

I think a lot of the stuff on etsy is a very fair value, especially considering pretty much everything is handmade - there is something to be said for that. And I don't mind spending a bit more money to support an artist by buying an item that will bring me a lot of joy.

A friend of mine has an etsy store. I see first hand how it puts food on her (and her daughter's) plate. And I like to think that I'm doing that for other independent designers as well.

Mind you, I've never skimped on costume pieces, even in my tighter budget days...not that I have much of a budget even these days. What can I say, I have a serious addiction. =/

Haha, I probably spend more on costumeage in a year than I do on new, every day clothes.

Bad, bad britz.

Um anyway...I think I've fallen off the point.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am

I have an Etsy store, and was a costumier by trade for yeaaarrrs. In addition to it being my "thing," at burns (dress up, costume camps, make-overs, etc.).

The prices are quite fair, for what you get; I didn't say they weren't.

You might want to join the infamous tribe.net, if you haven't, and the tribe Playalicious Playawear. People are often linking there to various sites (there's also an Etsy Sellers tribe).

And, if you're not into steampunketry, burlesque looks and just need basic gear (playa coats, boots, etc.), something like Goodwill is great.

Obviously. All thrift stores are great!
C.f.M.

Postby britzbitz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:05 am

Yeah, I know you didn't say the prices weren't fair. Like I said, I fell off the point. haha. Sorry.

As for tribe.net...Tribe is dead to me. =/ I tribed hard for a few years. And then 'they' ruined it. And it reminds me of a time in my life that is long gone...Hard to explain. I do miss the 'good old days' of tribe now and then, though...

I probably will buy some new stuff for the Burn but I have so much costume stuff it'll also be a matter of going through what I have and deciding what to take and what to leave. 8 years of costume accumulation. My collection is excessive. Maybe I'll bring stuff to gift to people? I dunno...depends on transportation at the moment. But I do have a tried and true party coat. And it did come from a thrift store. They're the best for funky coats. :)
britzbitz

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:28 pm

[quote="C.f.M."][quote="Ugly Dougly"][quote="C.f.M."][quote="Ugly Dougly"]So you're coming back?[/quote]
...My brain won't stop preparing.[/quote]

There's no-no in your eyes, but yes-yes in your preparation. ;)[/quote]

All the no is in the wallet...well, and some in the brain. I could take a nice trip to Prague, or somewhere new, instead of another week at the desert rave... :twisted:[/quote]

C.f.M. Have you thought about volunteering with a department? You'd still have to get yourself there, but you can have substantial portions of what it costs handled by that. None that I know of would give you a ticket ahead of time, that's true, but you could camp with some, get food from the department, etc. We have some people in Gate that spend very, very little to get/stay at the event.

I know there are others...but of course you'd spend 30+ hours of your time out there working/volunteering, but that's its own special reward...lol
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

All the no is in the wallet...well, and some in the brain. I could take a nice trip to Prague, or somewhere new, instead of another week at the desert rave... :twisted:

C.f.M. Have you thought about volunteering with a department? You'd still have to get yourself there, but you can have substantial portions of what it costs handled by that. None that I know of would give you a ticket ahead of time, that's true, but you could camp with some, get food from the department, etc. We have some people in Gate that spend very, very little to get/stay at the event.

I know there are others...but of course you'd spend 30+ hours of your time out there working/volunteering, but that's its own special reward...lol

Yes, I have (Rangering) but never in the context of doing it to save money...unfortunately, when it comes to food, I have to be mostly reliant, as I'm gluten-free, so the kindly community burritos, pastas, granola, sandwiches, etc. are off-limits to me.

It is something I could consider, thanks for the reminder.
C.f.M.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:38 pm

[quote="C.f.M."]
Yes, I have (Rangering) but never in the context of doing it to save money...unfortunately, when it comes to food, I have to be mostly reliant, as I'm gluten-free, so the kindly community burritos, pastas, granola, sandwiches, etc. are off-limits to me.

It is something I could consider, thanks for the reminder.[/quote]

Couple of points. The departments that reward you with food generally do so via feeding you at Commissary.

Commissary every meal provides a vegan option that is very often gluten-free. It'd certainly be mostly enough to take care of most of your food needs, with you bringing some supplemental food for days where they aren't serving something you like.

Rangers, Gate and DPW might all be good things to investigate.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm

CfM, from a purely selfish point of view, you have blown the cover off my second favorite old clothes store online. Got some cool stuff on there, but now I'm going to have to bid against other burners.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm

sheesh, too late. it's crazier than ebay in there now.
think i'll just head to one of the 800 million Goodwills here.
I am HORSE
gerlachedNloaded

Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby cosmicdancer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:17 pm

britzbitz wrote:Another great place for costume shopping is etsy.com. Prices vary pretty widely, but you can get some great deals on great, unique items.
Oh, I agree :D. I've been raiding Etsy as far as potential ideas go, and will end up buying some things from some of the extremely creative sellers too.

And, I hate to go the generic route, but fluffies / fluffy boot covers look like they will also serve as great way to help keep the Playa out of footwear and keep your legs warm at night.
cosmicdancer

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 am

cosmicdancer wrote:And, I hate to go the generic route, but fluffies / fluffy boot covers look like they will also serve as great way to help keep the Playa out of footwear and keep your legs warm at night.

So will pants, socks and shoes.
C.f.M.

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear