admin vs personal login

We're doing it wrong...we know

Postby angrykittie25 » Mon May 31, 2004 1:41 am

you might consider an alternate eplaya login for your posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with eplaya administration, you know. Official technopatra, and Unofficial technopatra.

I was under the impression that techopatra was her personal login, and the admin was for the official stuff. It would be kind of un-admin like to post what she did. She was giving her personal opinion and appreciation for the site. Was she supposed to post her opinions as TP and then sign on as Admin and deny the delete request. Seems like a waste of her time IMHO.
angrykittie25

prerogative

Postby Suzie Clipboard » Mon May 31, 2004 2:02 am

Bob, your post caught my attention enough that I've had to make an adjustment: I have to look over the rim of my glasses to see you! While your post isn't entirely clear, you seem to be making a complaint against the Admin. Just a moment... I've got to make a little notation here. Make note, adjust glasses, Ok, let's continue... Bob, If I understand you correctly, you are pointing out- in the matter of which weblinks e-playa will sanction- the existing dichotomy between the E-Playa Admin Official Position versus Technopatra's personal preferences, for what should get approval. Now, don't worry, I've made this perfectly vague so as to give you some room to maneuver when it comes time to review your account.

People, what Bob seems to be suggesting is that Technopatra acted irresponsibly as an Admin by responding to a new user's "Request to Admin for a Thread Delete/Restart" by encouraging username-"Blooming Bard"'s existing thread/weblink to remain, despite the existence of Blooming's site 'midi-embeds' and lack of 'copyright creds', by exception of Technopatra's own personal preferential encouragement via this reference-

technopatra wrote:...I think your site is terrific. Much fun and I love the music....

And Bob also seems to be showing his annoyance by requesting of Technopatra to alternate logins between "Technopatra-Admin On Duty" and "Technopatra-Citizen of E-playa".

Everybody, what needs to be understood is that the Admin's are volunteer. Bob is really outside of his place. It takes an exceptional kind of mind to be an Admin for the E-playa. Not everyone can do it. It's a thankless task! But this is our burden for greatness. People like Technopatra and myself, we aren't like everybody else. But fortunately for everyone here, we are people who always make good decisions. And therefore, everyone benefits.

My other helpful advise-
bad words are sometimes necessary
about getting back on topic
Have a tissue-
Suzie Clipboard

Postby Blooming Bard » Mon May 31, 2004 8:07 am

I was under the impression that the whole burnning man movement was about blurring whats "official" and "unofficial". Since most evertything is volnteer based, labour of love, and nobody gets rich from it.

I mean if you work for microsoft and they complain that you cant have opinions of yourself only microsoft, unless you explicitly say these are your opinions and not microsoft. But then again I guess thats why I posted my pictures for enjoyment of this community not microsoft's and for the same reason that technopatra is an admin here, and not at microsoft's forum.

I gratefully thank TP's not deleting my post, and I think she showed sound judgment. I was annoyed by not being able to delete my post myself, but then the responses I got showed me that there were some people who actually enjoyed my work.

I guess I am a bit naive in that I belive if I dont like something I wont spend my time visiting a link. I prefer myself to spend my time creating, and encouraging the creators, rather than spendn a lot of time to make them regret having ever shared their creation with me. Again another reason I love burningman, and feel black rock is my true home. but thats just me i guess.
Blooming Bard

Postby Bob » Mon May 31, 2004 8:34 am

You & Burning Man should get a room.

Once Suzie & tp are finished with it, that is.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby technopatra » Mon May 31, 2004 10:09 am

Hmmm. I haven't done anything different here than elsewhere. I use the admin login for "official" admin acts - like making service announcements, moving threads, giving warnings, etc, where I still usually identify myself as Technopatra. I use the Technopatra login for everything else, for which I still identify myself as an admin in my sig line.

The "admin" login has special permissions with this bbs, so I use it sparingly, so as to not accidentally change or delete something. The majority of my admin duties - answering questions - need no special system permission to accomplish. The Technopatra ID is a regular user with regular permissions and therefore there is no margin for error that could negatively affect the boards.

I enjoy participating in the boards, but am never really "off the record" which is why I still identify myself as an admin. Seems like it would be dishonest to not let folks know that they are talking to an admin.

Does this confuse anyone enough to hamper their experience of the boards, or to diminish the necessary authority of the admin? Is it really compromising my position to express an opinion and be an admin at the same time?

I don't think so. This is not a community that generally responds to faceless authority. I received much criticism early on for taking over the admin of the boards without being an active member of it. And I received much appreciation later for interacting with folks, sharing my thoughts and opinions in a variety of discussions.

Perhaps the new quesiton is this: does contrubiting to a converstaion as an admin give undue wieght to those opinions expressed, or does it negatively affect the conversation in any other way?

While I think that the original issue here - whether it was wrong of me to tell someone I liked their site while identifying myself as an admin - stemmed out of Bob's irritation because he didn't like the site in question rather than concern for the interaction per se, I think the overall topic deserves exploration.

I thank Bob, Angrykittie25 and Suzie for contributing thus far, and I'd like to hear from other folks on it as well.
technopatra

Postby Bob A » Mon May 31, 2004 1:28 pm

technopatra,

First I would like to thank you and all the other admins for all you do around here and all the shit you have to put up with from time to time.

Second, I see no problem with you expressing your feelings in posts officially and unofficially. I like both kinds of posts from you. They always balanced and of interest and usually a voice of reason to keep a thread balanced.

Third, Bob seems to be a very negative person lately who likes to find a fault most of the time whether there is one or not. Strangely I seem to recall he actually answered more questions back when I first joined now he mostly snipes at people

Bob A
Bob A

Postby DVD Burner » Mon May 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Bob is a club 5 wanna be. :lol:

His bark is bigger than his bite from what I've seen.

He's just having fun.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Tancorix » Mon May 31, 2004 7:53 pm

This is all much ado about nothing. Technopatra, my take on this is to keep doing exactly what your doing. I see nothing wrong with your posts or posting style or which ID you post under.

You've had to put up with more BS than anyone should have to take, and you've done an outstanding job of handling it. I'd let this latest pseudo-controversy just blow over and forget about it. Your doing fine, there's nothing to worry about here.
Tancorix

Postby Badger » Mon May 31, 2004 11:02 pm

It certainly doesn't warrant a topic.

I'd think there are other things for Angrykitty to winge about.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby angrykittie25 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:12 pm

It certainly doesn't warrant a topic.

I'd think there are other things for Angrykitty to winge about.

Hey badger, I didn't start this thread. TP moved it from a post from bob. I happened to be the first one to respond so apparently when she moved it, I became the one it says created it.

Also, what do you mean by your post that involves me?
angrykittie25

Postby DVD Burner » Mon May 31, 2004 11:16 pm

angrykittie25 wrote:
Hey badger, I didn't start this thread. TP moved it from a post from bob. I happened to be the first one to respond so apparently when she moved it, I became the one it says created it.

Also, what do you mean by your post that involves me?

I thought so. Well hey, It sure has made this thread more intersting. thanx TP. :lol:

(Hangover......Bwwwwaaaaaa!)

This is amazing. Tancorix is really back. RIGHT ON! :wink:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Mon May 31, 2004 11:23 pm

Noted.

And yet another reason that it'd be nice to have the option of either editing or deleting one's post - especially when mistakes are made.

I know things are busy around the project offfice about now but I'd sure would like to hear WHY the edit option has been removed with no option of changing or modifying what one's written.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby DVD Burner » Mon May 31, 2004 11:26 pm

Maybe this is a topic for "case studies."

After all, even Action girl made a comment about it. <suprise>

Me, I don't need no stinkin edit or delete. :lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:59 am

The issue for me was an admin (identified by login, sig, whatever) lending de facto endorsement to something a bit outside the realm of bbs administration.

A more dispassionate admin might gently inquire first re: the use of not only the stick-figure logo, but an image copied from a Burning Man mailer as the banner on a non-Burning-Man website.

Or maybe provide a little warning for dialup users that the site opens with a Flash animation. The precedent for this might be the Moorlock list-o-links pages on the main website that editorialize with warnings about "annoying Geoshittys popup" (exact wording).

I had a similar problem with giving the appearance of encouraging debate about large / big-money theme camps. How about a debate over Burning Man departments that inflate their budgets and self-importance? How about a debate on whether Burning Man is worth going to at all? Might be worthy of discussion, but is anything like this part of the admin's job description? To the extent that the admin represents the intentions of Burning Man wrt to use of the bbs, I'm a little confused. However, it's not a huge deal for me, I'm not privy to what the web team has in mind as their role here, and everybody has an opinion.

Bob

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:08 am

You guys are taking this wayyy to far. :shock:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:43 am

I think it's worth a pause to consider that was DVD Burglar's 999th post.

Okay -- back to putting bamboo splinters under your fingernails.

Bob

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:28 am

technopatra wrote:I enjoy participating in the boards, but am never really "off the record" which is why I still identify myself as an admin. Seems like it would be dishonest to not let folks know that they are talking to an admin.

Agreed.

technopatra wrote: I received much criticism early on for taking over the admin of the boards without being an active member of it. And I received much appreciation later for interacting with folks, sharing my thoughts and opinions in a variety of discussions.

I appreciate your contributions to the eplaya, both officially and unofficially, I would LOVE to see more admins and staff members jump on board the eplaya and participate (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, they're too busy in "meetings", and by "meetings, I mean getting tanked in Larry's Hot Tub).

technopatra wrote:Perhaps the new quesiton is this: does contrubiting to a converstaion as an admin give undue wieght to those opinions expressed, or does it negatively affect the conversation in any other way?

I think there is a need to ID yourself as acting in an Official Admin capacity only when you are acting as an official Admin (i.e. putting the smack down on someone or disseminating official doctrine from on Bmorg high) Otherwise I think you should post away. If you really want to appease people I guess you could add "The thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are Technopatra's and her's alone, and may or may not reflect the thoughts and opinions of Larry Harvey, Burning Man LLC or any of the other 30,000 participants that attend the event"
Chai Guy

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:56 am

Me, I don't need no stinkin edit or delete.

Well, that opinion might someday change if you ever getting around to actually having something to say.
Isotopia

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:03 pm

lovely,

I remember the days, not so long ago, when a handfull of folks was bithcin that the folks runnin this joint weren't actually participants.
stuart

Return to ePlaya Feedback