Suitcase solar panal Qs from the electrically challenged

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:06 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Ahhhh. English!!! THANK YOU, Captain Goddammit and Lord of Ruin (great Playa names, BTW). I think I feel a glimmer of understanding coming through.

If I get this now, I could plug something directly INTO the solar panel (a small fan or some such) and run it while sun is shining, if it doesn't take much juice. To CHARGE something, I'd need to STORE the energy from the solar panel in a battery. But with a charge controller in between? (Not so sure I quite get that part). Yes? There is hope for me? :roll:

We'll have to tape the furnace filters into the window frames (they're casements, which makes this pretty straightforward) to keep them in place. Right now, there's a big-ass gap under the door (maybe an inch) that we'll have to deal with. Other than that, she's pretty tight. At reenacting events we leave the door open and let people come and see the inside, but because of the dust, we weren't planning to do that in BRC. (Maybe just a few ESPECIALLY helpful folks. :D) Come on by! Snowflake Village, Clevian camp.
Bling

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 pm

:D
Bling, considering your fantabulous Gypsy Wagon camping trailer, I'll go along with your wish to minimize the dust in it. But then I would bring a real household Suck-O-Lux, not a 12 Volt cat groomer. I've used a honking Sears Shop Vac in my bus, and even that couldn't get all the dust out of the pores of the interior surfaces.

This Camp and Village of which you speak -- will someone have a Honda EU3000 or other generator? Your best bet may be to bring a household Electro-Sux and a hefty 100-foot extension cord.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks, Elliot! I appreciate the compliment--and it didn't occur to me to ask our crew if they were bringing a generator. They just might be! And we were thinking of getting a shopvac anyway for our house...

A gypsy wagon is called a Vardo, BTW. Ours is named Brigitte. Brigitte...(you saw this coming...) Vardo. :twisted:
Bling

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Ah, yes... gosh, is she still alive?

My converted school bus is named Millicent -- it's just pretty. The name; not the bus.

Yep, Shop Vac good. Ask store clerk for very "heavy gauge" extension cord.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:24 pm

It would be fun to have all that room. We have some friends who lived in a converted school bus with their 5 kids and a couple of dogs, and travelled around the country. They've never been to BM, but would love it!
Bling

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:29 pm

No! Don't get a shop-vac!

Go on craigslist and look for a Rainbow vacuum. That's the one that uses a bowl full of water in the bottom as a filter. THOSE will vacuum your floor and take playa dust out of the air! I like to turn mine on and just let it run a while in my camper while I'm outside and let it filter all my air.
A shop-vac doesn't compare.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Hmm. I could bling one... :D
Bling

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Ha! Nabbed a reconditioned one from a vacuum guy on eBay. So, I'll skip the lightweight solar panel and ask about generators.
Bling

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:41 pm

In 29 minutes. I wish I could make decisions like that. :lol:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Maybe I should have chosen "Impulsive" as a Playa name? 8)
Bling

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination