arrest made at 10:00 and Esplanade 2009 HELP

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

arrest made at 10:00 and Esplanade 2009 HELP

Postby dustang1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:08 am

Hello I am a private investigator in Reno Nevada.. I am trying to find out if anybody witnessed an arrest this year out at burning man located at 10:00 and Esplanade I am working a case DEFENDING a burner and need some help... We believe he was set up by an undercover agent and need some witnesses of what took place... We already have some witnesses but could use more to this event... PLEASE post this request and have them contact me at grapppler@msn.com thanks in advance!
dustang1

let me help you out

Postby trevkong » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:38 pm

As a private investigator i'd assume you would at least provide the date, time, and what happened, do you know how many instances of something happened on that corner? more than 1.
trevkong

Postby affinity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:18 pm

Hopefully you have contacted:

www.lawyersforburners.com
affinity

Postby failblog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 am

the camp at esplanade & 10:00 was 'root society'. 3 big domes. Their site is: http://www.myspace.com/rootsociety

you might have luck asking if they'll post your request on their camp list.

undercover cops are a real thing out there. i've had 3 run-ins with them in recent years. one was dressed as a bunny. when he was tackled for the offense of being a bunny, his head popped off to reveal he was fully wired, then he scurried away (very unbunny like).
failblog

Postby Isotopia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

To the original poster,

You *might* also make inquiries to the Burningman office and mention the LEAL team which is a group of volunteers associated with the black Rock Rangers. Comprised mostly of lawyers, one of their roles is to serves as intermediaries between the event and law enforcement. I believe that most arrests and interactions with law enforcement are recorded and discussed at the daily morning meetings. Duane Hoover (aka 'Big Bear) has headed up that team for a few years now.

You might get a lead or two starting there.
Isotopia

Re: let me help you out

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm

trevkong wrote:As a private investigator i'd assume you would at least provide the date, time, and what happened, do you know how many instances of something happened on that corner? more than 1.

Im thinking, if you witnessed an arrest at 10 and esplanade, you would not need details.

People make horrible witnesses especially when promppted, he needs a witnesses account, not a yahoo with good intentions and no clue.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 am

Is it just me or does the original poster make others feel a little uncomfortable? After reading the original post several times, ignoring the grammar and punctuation issues, it feels wrong. I cannot say why, perhaps because there is no link to an office of a PI or perhaps it is the timing, so long after the event. I have friends who had "issues" at the event, fought the case, prevailed and that was quite a while ago. Maybe it is just me.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby failblog » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:12 am

for years on eplaya, there has been a distrust of lawyers asking for help defending burners. you can see it in the condescending tone of some of the posts here - especially in the first reply.

i think it has to do with the authority of police. sorta like if you got busted, you probably deserved it; the police are there to protect and serve us. most burners trust in authority because a civil society is a safe and secure society.

there are rules - don't break them.
failblog

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:16 am

I for one, do not concure with your statement that there exists an inherant distrust for lawyers on this forum. I read almost everything that is posted here, I have worked closely with lawyers on Playa related cases and I have not observed that. The OP is not a lawyer in fact he only implies that he is working for a lawyer. I guess what makes me feel uneasy is how vague the OP is. Many of the lawers and investigators are a little more open with their personal info. I will grant you that the veil I perceive from the OP may be nothing more than his/her style of communication.
Dustdevil

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 am

Also, I do not trust in authority. I will respect authority when and if that respect is earned, but trust, not me friend. I guess I have been in Oakland too long.
Dustdevil

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Cops and lawyers suck!

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Dustdevil wrote:I for one, do not concure with your statement that there exists an inherant distrust for lawyers on this forum.

then consider its more dislike than distrust, and at what level the law is enforced upon a historically safe and responsible environment that causes a controversial topic.

there's plenty of danger and accidents happen, but considering what goes on and the history of people making attempts at self-reliance and cooperation in building a commonly free environment... the current levels of law enforcement just isnt needed - or at least it wasnt.

but as things change so do the attendees, including more who come to rely on others to feel safe and provide services. i guess those people also welcome the presence of law enforcement, and actively condemn those accused of criminal activity to support the law enforcement presence.

good luck dustang1
spectabillis

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 pm

SB,

You will get no argument from me......
Dustdevil

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Ah, Dustdevil, I come to it with a sense of history. Specifically the history of other people who have asked similier questions on this forum.

Hum

erm

It's very hard to untangle the nature of these forces--friendly or malicious. Some people deserve to be arrested--whatever the nature of the authority figures. Others are railroaded. And I simply don't have enough information either way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 am

and yet now people are more prone to defiantly stand and shout of a new and improved burningman, one thats safe and open... or rather, what thier sense of history allows them to think is safe and open.

while the last gasp of understanding lays dormant in the throats of the forsaken. no longer voiced from the choking dust, the endless plod of feet and tires of those new thousands.

and such a brave new politically correct world to be found in. if someone only warned you of the little death delivered from the wings of well intended consequences. oh, wait...
spectabillis

Postby failblog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:47 am

The community experience so fondly trumpeted as the living skin of Burning Man has become pocked, scarred, and so lacerated that it is no longer the durable integument needed to sustain the Burning Man's viscera. Last year's community was such a stark and realistic representation of modern civilization that it reminded me of my own downtown Oakland.

Burning Man, the man who murdered both his parents... pleaded for mercy on the grounds that he was an orphan.
failblog

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:16 am

Look spectabillis, Obviously BM is no longer what it used to be, and it never will even come close to devolving back to anything resembling what it used to be. In these current days of BM, there is a HUGE amount of people that only know BM from when it was already sucking.

We won't be able to change anything except at our regionals...regionals are the new old BM.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Look spectabillis, Obviously BM is no longer what it used to be, and it never will even come close to devolving back to anything resembling what it used to be. In these current days of BM, there is a HUGE amount of people that only know BM from when it was already sucking.

We won't be able to change anything except at our regionals...regionals are the new old BM.

This is the thing that I don't get. I don't go to an arena rock concert and then complain that their bluegrass skills suck and the setting wasn't intimate enough.

BM today is what it is....the size that it is, the support services as they are, etc. As others have mentioned, the Regionals vary in size and participation, just like the "old" BM did. Simply go to one of those from now on and you'll have much of what you want back.

Problem solved.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Simply go to one of those from now on and you'll have much of what you want back.

Multiply that individual advice by several thousand (or more) and I guarantee that you end up at the same point of complaint.
Isotopia

Postby failblog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 pm

the regionals are just smaller versions of what burning man is today. the regional organizers are of the same rigid hierarchical mindset as the borg.

if you've been to a few of regionals, you'll notice the same 'us' vs 'them' mentality that has killed the soul of the main event.

it's a franchise caste system that is now fully mainstream. aside from a few bells & whistles, BM (including the regionals) no longer sounds like cacophony. this would be fine, if it didn't pretend to be something it is no longer, and as this 'thing' - absorbing the creative energy of so many artists and others in its capitalistic pursuit of more and more and bigger and bigger.
failblog

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:55 pm

WTF - BM must remain a place where almost anything goes. Burningman is supposed to be a anarchistic, dangerous, fireball breathing, looud, explosion filled clandestine fireworks showering event.

I dont want it "tamed" or "toned" down. If its not broken, dont fix it. Burningman is not broken.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Isotopia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 pm

the regionals are just smaller versions of what burning man is today. the regional organizers are of the same rigid hierarchical mindset as the borg.

Way to swing the wide brush.

Your post = FAIL!
Isotopia

Postby spectabillis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:This is the thing that I don't get. I don't go to an arena rock concert and then complain that their bluegrass skills suck and the setting wasn't intimate enough.

spectator event that has a massive audience orientation?

- in the first stage people denied that to a bad example
- in the second they dismissed it to isolated occurances, while ignoring the trend
- in the third stage people rationalized it as an acceptable limited incursion
- in the fourth they become full adopters and advocates

- in the first stage the downward trend was speculation
- in the second stage some of us established and voiced the examples as trend validation
- in the third stage we were labeled as wrong, troublemakers, argumentative, and often called things worse than ignorant
- in the fourth stage most of us had either left, or been driven out

now... i laugh with myself at the irony of unintended truth
spectabillis

Postby failblog » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 am

Isotopia wrote:Way to swing the wide brush.

Your post = FAIL!

not a wide brush, but a dead cat - didn't mean to hit you in the face with it but it couldn't be avoided.
failblog

Postby dj_john69 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:25 pm

The OP is 100% legit. I have worked with him for many year in the past.

Here' the basic of what happened at Root Society that night.

A guy was approached in one of the domes by a female undercover asking for drugs or something like that. The guy couldn't hear what the chick was saying so they went outside. The guy was searched illegally & arrested.

I did hear that the guy won in court over the Feds !! Congrats. Chalk 1 up for the good guys.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby failblog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 pm

100% legit. why would anyone suspect differently? but they do.

when so many lawyers and investigators have been put-down here for asking for help on behalf of their clients, and of those who will no longer take burners on as clients because of it... makes you wonder what this 'burner community' thing is that is praised so much...

lesson learned: you're next. and don't ask for help.
failblog

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 am

Failblog, you need to masturbate more often.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby spectabillis » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 am

failblog wrote:100% legit. why would anyone suspect differently?

i think its more like 99.9% legit when applied to the population. i clearly remember the details of a dealer i met early on from reno, who ripped a lot of people off and treated the event like bank, nothing more. when busted came online and tried to plead an innocent story to get a decent defense attorney, who im guessing probably dropped him like a rock based upon his criminal history.

the error lies in being able to use a few as the wrong example to point fingers.

most people are simply awsome who get worked over by the legal system. thats the thing, narcotic use at burningman is very prevelant yet most people are down right responsible and the atmosphere actually tends to create a safe environment. but it doesnt take much for law enforcement to paint an entirely different picture that justifies thier presence, all they have to do is bust a few people for minor stuff, like serving alcohol to a minor thats an undercover agent. so there's many leo's who are not all that concerned about the effects they help create, and dont really want a situation where they're not needed which threatens the considerable budget slice they get from the event.

corrupt? not techincally in the eyes of regulatory groups or the legal system, but thats a different discussion. whats relevant is to note how and why the event has found itself having to support yet another thing that works against what it was about.
spectabillis

Postby failblog » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:17 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Failblog, you need to masturbate more often.

while i appreciate the invitation, it was hard enough getting you circle-jerking narcissists *out* of my life.
failblog

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:20 am

then why the fuck are you here?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man