Need a bike for the Playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Need a bike for the Playa?

Postby geospyder » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Need a bike for the Playa this year?

Go to Kiwanis Bikes and then click on the Burning Man link on the left.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Need a bike for the Playa?

Postby epic_elite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 am

geospyder wrote:Need a bike for the Playa this year?

Go to Kiwanis Bikes and then click on the Burning Man link on the left.

wierd...

not sure how i feel about renting a bike for the burn. I'm sure it will work for someone though. I live in a pretty big appartment complex. I intend to just leave my bike out by the dumpster afterwards. some kid would be more than stoked to take a bike that's still 75% functional after 7 days in the desert. that's if i even bring my bike back off the playa. last time some neighbors were more than happy to take it from us.
epic_elite

Postby geospyder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:19 am

From what I understand you are not renting it, you are buying it. You can keep it but most people just return it so people will have something for the following year.
geospyder

Postby phil » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 pm

From the Kiwanis site:
All proceeds from sale of these bikes go to support our Kiwanis Bike and Pedestrian Programs and other service projects.

I think they're selling the bikes to the Burners, not renting them. Although if you return them, I think they'd take 'em back but not refund your money.

shrug- it's a call you get to make. People flying in find the program helpful so they don't have to bring their bike with them on the plane.

If you go to
http://civilizedexplorer.pbworks.com/renoSupplies#bic
you'll find Louise's page on bicycles which lists other resources for bikes. If you know of other places, let her know!
phil

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 pm

And for the record...if you're driving down from Washington or Oregon and go thru Cedarville, there was a guy on Main St with about 20-30 bikes for sale at reasonable prices...he'll prolly be there again this year.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:49 pm

epic_elite wrote: last time some neighbors were more than happy to take it from us.
Ah yes. Just so long as they weren't stealing them. Thngs get so tangled, morally speaking, when you pack up and leave.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby epic_elite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
epic_elite wrote: last time some neighbors were more than happy to take it from us.
Ah yes. Just so long as they weren't stealing them. Thngs get so tangled, morally speaking, when you pack up and leave.

we actually gave them to some kids who drove down from canada. they didn't even concider to bring a bike... then found out how convenient it is to have one.

we made them promise to bring them to one of the drop off spots that recycled/reused them.

and i was excited to not kill the gas mileage on my honda having them tied to the bike rack behind my bumper.
epic_elite

Postby geospyder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:05 pm

I have my bike from last year. My brother-in-law from the Netherlands is a virgin this year and needed for me to get him a bike before he comes over. He was the one that pointed out the bike site. The funny thing is that it is only 6 miles as the crow flies from my house.
geospyder

Postby epic_elite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

if your 'buying' the bike and not renting... it may be a nice thing.

i bought mine from target for $60 and didn't decorate it... and it looked just like everyone elses bike from target for $60. needless to say, it dissapeared after 5 minutes when i set it down to buy ice... and next to it, was the exact same bike minus the cat eye and fireflies on the wheels and plus the cardboard packaging left in the wheels from the "showroom floor".

someone mistook my bike for thiers because... well, they were bought from the same place.

a venue like this may offer some origionality and selection to remedy the fact that a large number of people are going to have the same bike.

DECORATE YOUR BIKES KIDS!!!
epic_elite

Postby geospyder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Between the blinking el wire, strobe lights front and rear plus two blinking lighted water bottles mine was hard to miss at night. Also had a large frog on the front and a pink squeeze horn. The most important thing was a lock. I trust but I also protect :twisted:
geospyder

Postby epic_elite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 pm

geospyder wrote:Between the blinking el wire, strobe lights front and rear plus two blinking lighted water bottles mine was hard to miss at night. Also had a large frog on the front and a pink squeeze horn. The most important thing was a lock. I trust but I also protect :twisted:

I had some Elwire, but it was on my person and not on my bike.

i guess it was just a rookie mistake. with 9 months of research and prep, i showed up over prepared for the event in almost every facet. I'm actually glad that this was my biggest mistake.

this year i bought some led tubes to tape to my spokes with a battery and a power switch. think ill pull of the front reflector and retrofit a flashlight into its place for night time illumination.

when we got the other bike back to camp we wrapped it up in orange contractor tape. ill probly do something of the like again this year.
epic_elite

Postby phil » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Our bikes on the playa one night at the last Burn:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/3910693227/
phil

Postby epic_elite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 pm

phil wrote:Our bikes on the playa one night at the last Burn:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/3910693227/

what were the flashing lights? those looked really bright.

i think i would collapse into seizure if i had those on my bike :P
epic_elite

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 pm

We don't dick around when it comes to bike/trike illumination. Last year I had my right arm in a 90-degree angle cast, so AntiM let me use her trike. I wired it up with about 15 feet of EL wire, a strand of LED christmas lights, a ground effects light bar, a bicycle headlight (4 AA batteries) and a automotive fog lamp for extreme lighting needs. All but the bike headlight were powerd by a 12v 10a sealed lead-acid battery wired under the rear axle stays.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby jcliff » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:30 pm

I've bought bikes from Kiwanis for 2 years in a row....these people are awesome. The bikes (usually $35) are definitely playa ready and they always have a big selection to choose from. Best yet, the money that they make off their bike program goes to supplying deserving kids in he Reno/Sparks area with a bike. They also come down every year with trailers and remove all the bikes that people leave on the playa.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby phil » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:39 pm

> what were the flashing lights? those looked really bright.

I'm sorry to say I forgot. I think I either got the link here or posted the link here. They're from China, but delivery was very quick, and they were very cheap. Probably full of lead, cadmium, and melamine. :->
phil

Postby Arcanum » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm not too often a bike rider, so I'm thinking I will probably skip out on getting one- but I heard from a friend the Playa is getting pretty torn up and thus not so easy to ride on.... comments from burners?
looking for a home...
Arcanum

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:48 pm

You will have 7 square miles to walk if you don't have a bike. You can catch some rides on art cars and mutant vehicles, but there is nothing better than having your own wheels with freedom to travel when and where you want.
Sham

Postby ygmir » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:23 pm

the playa "rejuvenates" each winter........but, to differing degrees......so, you can't say it's "getting torn up", unless the reference is just during the burn.....if I understand the dynamics correctly.

also:

we went back out Wed. after the event, to get our MV and bring it home.
there were literally hundreds of bikes, in differing conditions, laying alone and in piles, all over the playa..........
The Kiwanis donation trailer was full and had a sign so stating when we came through Gerlach.

seems, there'd still be opportunity for someone to get stuff to re-sell for the next year.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bling » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:27 pm

$60 bikes from Target? Was this recently? On sale? I don't see anything on their website that cheap, and we need 3...
Bling

Return to Transportation