Share your favorite "playa" Makeup!

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Share your favorite "playa" Makeup!

Postby Victorian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Show your Playa Makeup. What do you bring to BRC? What do you make sure to keep at home? What's worth paying for? What is worth not?

Do you have any favorite lines? Favorite looks? Bare minimums, or do you go all out?

Have and pictures from previous years, or looks you found on that playa that YOU LOVED?

Let's share everything Makeup.
Victorian

Postby Victorian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 pm

This is my favorite permanent/water proof product for any kind of eyeshadow, liners, powders, liquids, creams. Anything for your eyes.

It's like a lotion, you put it on, rub it in, and apply everything else as normal.

A little harder to get your makeup off after, but makes everything POP (colors are bolder) and makes everything LAST (through sweat, blood, and tears!)

Urban Decay Primer Potion
Victorian

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 am

Sunscreen is about it. I ended up not doing any of the make-up (see my profile picture, there) I usually do because the dust just made it kinda useless (because you're covered in it, and the make-up doesn't show up as well. Plus, it'd have been a bitch to get off.).

If I was going to indulge, anything Ben Nye = the best.

MAC does some good colours, too.

I use acrylic craft paint and whatever the dollar store has.

Coloured hair spray is good for painting your body with.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:33 am

Lip Balm and Sunblock. Anything else just sits in my toolbox.

But then I don't often wear makeup in Defaultia either, just lip balm and sunscreen.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 am

Oh, and whatever you take that's meltable (creams, lipsticks, etc.), keep it in your cooler.
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 am

Hint: a small insulated lunchbox cooler, kept in a shady place, is great for make up and medicines you do not wish to store in a wet cooler full of food and drink. Get fancy and sew a "cozy" cover for it to reduce the effects of heat and dust on the contents.
AntiM

Postby ConnieH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:09 pm

I've brought all kinds of makeup and false eyelashes two years in a row and only took the time on my very first night to do any of it, and I don't know what I was thinking with the eyelashes, too much trouble in dim light for me to bother with, contact lenses are bad enough...the playa becomes my makeup I guess :)
ConnieH

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Oh, and whatever you take that's meltable (creams, lipsticks, etc.), keep it in your cooler.

Great tip I completely spaced about! Anything else guys?

I was thinking more along the lines of like.. henna ink for the playa. I've seen many pics indicating its popularity for choice of body art... is that due to the dust and conditions, or rather just the culture amongst BRC?
Victorian

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

ConnieH wrote:I've brought all kinds of makeup and false eyelashes two years in a row and only took the time on my very first night to do any of it, and I don't know what I was thinking with the eyelashes, too much trouble in dim light for me to bother with, contact lenses are bad enough...the playa becomes my makeup I guess :)

I love the way you worded this.

As far as getting makeup off, when water is scarce, do you use baby wipes, water free makeup cloths, or just good ol soap n water????
Victorian

Postby Edana » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm planning to decorate my arms and various other parts with henna before I get there. I'll likely bring henna with me too to decorate others.
Edana

Postby Victorian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm

How long does Henna last in the playa dust? Days? The whole trip?

I've never used it. I may just wait to let someone do it for me, maybe as a gift even, so as to share the whole experience about it...

If I'm not correct, Henna does have spiritualistic meaning at times?
Victorian

Postby Edana » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 pm

How long henna lasts depends on a few things:

The quality of the dry henna you start with.
The way it was prepared (some essential oils help it stain darker)
How long the paste stays on the skin before it is flaked off.
Where on the body you do it.

It basically stains the first few layers of skin. Once your body naturally exfoliates that skin the stain fades away. Skin on some parts of the body is thicker than others. The thicker the skin, the longer it takes to exfoliate. Hands and feet stain very well. Faces and breasts not so much.

Unless playa dust exfoliates your skin faster than normal (does it?) it shouldn't impact how long your henna lasts.

Henna also gets darker a day or so after it is applied. The biggest trick is to keep the henna paste damp and on your skin for as long as possible (12 hours is optimal!). I usually use saran wrap and medical tape to cover it. Makes your body sweat a bit under the plastic which keeps the paste moist.

Edited to add: the last time I did henna on the back of my hand it lasted for nearly 3 weeks.

And henna can have spiritual meaning, but can also just be body decoration. It depends on your intent.
Edana

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:14 am

ConnieH wrote:I've brought all kinds of makeup and false eyelashes two years in a row and only took the time on my very first night to do any of it, and I don't know what I was thinking with the eyelashes, too much trouble in dim light for me to bother with, contact lenses are bad enough...the playa becomes my makeup I guess :)

Exactly!

I've been henna'd several times, it never stays.

I'd use the aforementioned (by moi) acrylic paint - being sure to apply it in a dust/wind free area (note: that does not exist :wink: ) and let it dry.
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 am

I hand my hands henna'd on the playa. I fell asleep and woke up with random henna patterns on my face.

Try it out now, well before the playa.

As for make up removal, get the special travel wipes made for that. Ponds, Olay, Nutregena all make them.
AntiM

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:40 am

AntiM wrote:I hand my hands henna'd on the playa. I fell asleep and woke up with random henna patterns on my face.

Try it out now, well before the playa.

As for make up removal, get the special travel wipes made for that. Ponds, Olay, Nutregena all make them.

I've tested a variety of wipes, none of them work for me. Too heavily fragranced, leave an icky film, break my face out, etc.
C.f.M.

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:23 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 am

Bob wrote:Image

I LOVE that. I tried to figure out how to do it for Santacon. :?
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:12 am

C.f.M. wrote:
AntiM wrote:

I've tested a variety of wipes, none of them work for me. Too heavily fragranced, leave an icky film, break my face out, etc.

Yeah, only some of them do okay for me. I'm considering Tucks pads, which I know are for hemorrhoids, but are actually just a mild witch hazel wipe. No fragrance.
AntiM

Postby Victorian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 pm

AntiM wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:
AntiM wrote:

Yeah, only some of them do okay for me. I'm considering Tucks pads, which I know are for hemorrhoids, but are actually just a mild witch hazel wipe. No fragrance.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one willing to try Tucks on my face... :lol: Everyone thinks I'm crazy...

CFM-what do you use for your face? I'm 21 and still an acne sufferer... what does playa dust do for acne??
Victorian

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:37 am

Victorian wrote:CFM-what do you use for your face? I'm 21 and still an acne sufferer... what does playa dust do for acne??

Don't you already live in similar conditions? Dry, deserty?

Playa dust...I don't know what it'd do for acne. It'll chafe skin, for sure.

We had a shower, so I washed my face with Dr. Bronner's and water...I think I had some...Aveeno pads, that I picked up on the drive there - not knowing you had to rinse them. But I liked them, they were scrubby and I felt clean afterwards, not filmy.

Biore has some that aren't too bad, too.

I think I had an astringent...witch hazel breaks my face out/doesn't leave it feeling clean.

I broke out, I blame it on the stress, big change in diet (consuming loads of sugar drink awfulness), lack of clean skin and oodles of sunscreen.
C.f.M.

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Victorian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:23 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Victorian wrote:CFM-what do you use for your face? I'm 21 and still an acne sufferer... what does playa dust do for acne??

Don't you already live in similar conditions? Dry, deserty?

Playa dust...I don't know what it'd do for acne. It'll chafe skin, for sure.

We had a shower, so I washed my face with Dr. Bronner's and water...I think I had some...Aveeno pads, that I picked up on the drive there - not knowing you had to rinse them. But I liked them, they were scrubby and I felt clean afterwards, not filmy.

Biore has some that aren't too bad, too.

I think I had an astringent...witch hazel breaks my face out/doesn't leave it feeling clean.

I broke out, I blame it on the stress, big change in diet (consuming loads of sugar drink awfulness), lack of clean skin and oodles of sunscreen.

I was thinking that might be my fate for 2010, but hey, it will definitely be worth it...

Here's food for thought.. I just love fun and crazy looks. This below is made from completely 100% mineral powder or mineral based makeup that does wonders in the desert...

Victorian

Postby archeolojust » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:31 am

Ben Nye aquacake (add water and paint on, like water paint) with spray set sealer...or you can use their mixing liquid instead of water to mix in with the paint to help it set. Way awesome, easy to clean off.

I don't recommend the creme base, especially for all over paint, as it doesn't allow your skin to breath and it seems to me dust will stick to it bad.

also, liquid eyeliner comes off easy with water, and comes in multiple colors!
archeolojust

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Re: Share your favorite "playa" Makeup!

Postby zachass » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 am

Victorian wrote:Show your Playa Makeup. What do you bring to BRC? What do you make sure to keep at home? What's worth paying for? What is worth not?

Do you have any favorite lines? Favorite looks? Bare minimums, or do you go all out?

Have and pictures from previous years, or looks you found on that playa that YOU LOVED?

I'm not going to bring any. I'm hoping sometime during the week I'll meet someone who will be contributing by putting makeup on me.

I'll pay them back in spades. Of some kind. ;)
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it actually works
zachass

Postby Victorian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 pm

zachass wrote:
Victorian wrote:Show your Playa Makeup. What do you bring to BRC? What do you make sure to keep at home? What's worth paying for? What is worth not?

I'm not going to bring any. I'm hoping sometime during the week I'll meet someone who will be contributing by putting makeup on me.

I'll pay them back in spades. Of some kind. ;)

I'm a bit of an enthusiast. Should have gone to school I always say.
I'd be honored to do your makeup one dusty day Zach :D
Victorian

Postby zachass » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Victorian wrote:
zachass wrote:I'm a bit of an enthusiast. Should have gone to school I always say.
I'd be honored to do your makeup one dusty day Zach :D

I'll take you up on that for sure! Artist's discretion of course.

Also, the movie is coming back to me Tuesday or Wednesday, so if you would like me to send it to you, shoot me a mailing address and I'll get it out to you.
Treat people like you want to be treated. Really...it's simple and it actually works
zachass

Postby klondike_bar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Ive found that a week on the playa does wonders for my skin (as a guy)

i return home to find that the dust has dried my oily/acne-prone skin, caked my nails in a way that dissuades my chewing on them, and generally gave me self-confidence as it washed off to revel the fact that i actually tanned very well underneath the white powder.
klondike_bar

Postby Oldguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Strawberry Smackers lip balm...
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Victorian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

klondike_bar wrote:Ive found that a week on the playa does wonders for my skin (as a guy)

i return home to find that the dust has dried my oily/acne-prone skin, caked my nails in a way that dissuades my chewing on them, and generally gave me self-confidence as it washed off to revel the fact that i actually tanned very well underneath the white powder.

Thanks for sharing! That's awesome.
Went camping for 3 days here in arizona this weekend, my skin cleared up as well!
Victorian

Postby plumblove » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

If you'tr going to henna do it at home. We found that it just dries too fast. It doesn't have a chance to stain the skin properly. All your hard work just flakes off.
plumblove

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear