Ideal bike

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Everyone comes in fur, with a little encouragement.

It's just hard to dry-clean after.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:03 pm

I dunno... "furries" kinda creep me out.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Why do I even read these bike threads? Nothing but grief.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

AntiM wrote:
Elorrum wrote:... I've seen a couple of kits that bolt to the back of a regular bike.

Training wheels?

no... in the build pictured the sprocket set up on the left side of the hub is for a small gas motor. You can get the kit with 1 - 5 speeds I think. internal gear hub. I'm thinking, 3 spd with coaster brake.
I would love to get one of these bikes. trike conversion, small motor, ramp and platform for Cryptofishist.
Elorrum

Postby Oldguy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:27 pm

I saw 2 trikes on Sacramento Craigslist today. One was $175 regular, second was over $400 but had an electric motor on the front wheel as an assist. Only 15 miles on a full charge though. Damn, I wish I was rich. :(
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Ivory Bill » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:01 am

We'll be flying inot Reno, so we're going to ship the bikes from Wisconsin.

Is there some place we can give them away afterwards? We will be hurtin' for time and don't want to ship them back.
Bikes and vans fly by me in the dessert, but I'm alright standing out here in the hot sun
Ivory Bill

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 am

Something to remember about motorizing your bike: It will have to pass inspection as a mutant vehicle and (hopefully) get a license, if they decide it's mutated enough.
I had a mountain bike with an "assist" motor driving the front wheel and was chased down by the DMV.
So the moral is, if you motorize your bike, make sure it qualifies as a mutant vehicle, or is faster than a DMV golf cart.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Elorrum » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:32 am

Elorrum

Postby Elliot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 am

Ivory Bill wrote:We'll be flying inot Reno, so we're going to ship the bikes from Wisconsin.

Is there some place we can give them away afterwards? We will be hurtin' for time and don't want to ship them back.

:D
My little bicycle loan-and-repair camp is always happy to receive bikes. We'll be in Terminal Village in 2010 -- probably around 3:15 and A as usual. Near the Booby Bar. Donated bikes are added to the loaner fleet, sometimes gifted away, and sometimes parted out to repair other bikes or build Fun Stuff.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Elorrum I love those scooters and yow awesome guys riding them, thanks!!

Today was a choppertrike work day...new chain, gear change, new brakes tested. Ready for playa 2010, riders welcome :)

Elliot where is that pic of you doing a wheelie in the latest HenryFord bike on playa last year? I can't remember where I saw it...its a great photo!
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Elliot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 am

Well, uh... yes... it is true... that if you donate a bike to my camp, and it is not worth keeping as a complete bike, then... parts of it may wind up being used for some nefarious purpose.

:lol:

I finally put the body back on it recently -- but also cut it down to a two-seater:

Next year it will be something different again.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby teardropper » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 am

Seriously though, I use a pair of Huffy cruisers. They have a little longer wheel base, fat 2 1/8 inch tires and gears on the back. Though I never changed gears. Use non oil base lube, get it your bike shop. I got these on Craigs List for $30 or $40, don't remember. And with a lock to keep from having a ride away, plenty of LED blinkies and you should be set.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Elliot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:59 am

Sounds like you have it figured out, Teardropper!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 am

Baskets are really handy if you want to carry ice. It's not that easy to balance a block of ice on your handlebars while riding in loose playa dust. ;)
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby gaminwench » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 am

much easier to sit ON the ice :)
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:44 am

Ewww! No one wants ass ice in their drink.

well maybe some people do...

Most people don't want ass ice in their drink!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 am

Then don't tell them, sily.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 am

Hmm, I suppose it depends on who's ass it is, but generally I prefer ass-free ice. :)
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Elliot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 am

Every camp should have a trailer for hauling ice and such. Check garage sales, flee markets and thrift shops for the kind that is designed to haul a child; or just build one (...a trailer, not a child!).

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm

if you build a child, cant you just make them get yer ice? should be even easier...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby teardropper » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:37 pm

[quote="mudpuppy000"]Baskets are really handy if you want to carry ice. It's not that easy to balance a block of ice on your handlebars while riding in loose playa dust. ;)[/quote]

Yes, baskets. Various kinds, I have a metal one, partner has a Dorothy in Kansas wicker one. Very handy. Get a basket.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby fountainpen6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Where do you get those awesome huge tires? I'm looking to build my own bike (first attempt in my life) for 2010 and want to make it look just that cool! Any tips? Is making a quadricycle out of PVC a good thing? Anyone done the same?
fountainpen6

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 pm

fountainpen6 wrote:Where do you get those awesome huge tires?

What huge bike tires?

Oh… these.

They are from a type of dirt-track race-car called Sprint Cars. The size I use is mostly the size they use on the right rear wheel. I just pick them up at the tracks after the races. The wide rims I have to pay money for, but I buy the most beat-up rims I can find.

If you are not concerned with maximizing water buoyancy (as I am), you can get away with putting the tires on 10 inch wide regular car rims (15" diameter)

From Carmichael, your nearest tracks are Twin City Raceway Park in Marysville, and the Fairgrounds track in Placerville.

There are several "sprinkler pipe" quadricycles on the Playa every year. And I have seen them in Kinetic Sculpture Racing. An outfit called American Speedster sells a plan/kit. But the design of the chain drive is horrible, and most owners wind up having to improve on that.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby fountainpen6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks, Elliot. Good info. I am toying with the idea to go with the American Speedster, but have heard twice now about the shortcomings. Thanks for the head's up.
fountainpen6

Postby yizzah » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 am

I never understood the people that say "the playa will tear up a good bike". it seems to be an urban myth. Although I've never been there in the rain, maybe that's a different story. My first year, I was all paranoid about bringing my mountain bike, so I bought a used one on craigslist. It started to fall apart on day 2 and left me with a crappy ass, half working bike for the rest of the week. Last year I brought my specialized. I wrapped it in fabric to hide all logos and signs of it being a nice bike. I just lubed up first day and then again about halfway through. I had zero problems and a kick ass bike for long rides around the playa. A power wash at the car wash as I cleaned my truck and it was good as new.
yizzah

Postby Elliot » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:07 am

Yizzah, you fell in the common trap of bringing somebody else's discarded bike with all the reasons they sold it. Any and every bike should be ridden extensively and serviced as needed so it is ready for a troublefree week of use.

Perhaps you paid quite a bit for a Craigslist bike, while an other burner might have got one for $2,- at a thrift shop. But that makes little difference. Either way, it's an unfamiliar bike with unknown issues.

So THAT's one definition of the ideal Playa bike: one that you have ridden enough to have the bugs worked out of it.

Regarding the long term effects of the Playa dust... it seems that different people have very different experiences with that. A classic case of "Your Milage May Vary"! :lol: Perhaps most importantly, we all have our own standards for what we consider normal wear and tear, and for what we consider normal maintenance. To say nothing of how we use our bikes!

Bring a bike home straight from the Playa and just set it outside in the back yard until next year, and it will be unridable.
But clean it off, oil the bearings and the chain, and keep it out of rain and fog, and it will be fine.

See you on the Playa!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby phil » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 pm

This is the ideal bike:
from this article:
http://gizmodo.com/5449454/nipple-lasers-nple-lazrz

You need that windswept coping to deal with headwinds cycling back from the deep playa.
phil

Postby epic_elite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 pm

i like to think "clown car" when looking for bikes.

i get the tiny kids bikes for $60 at target. then i light it up.

i like the dexterity the small vehicle offers. and i feel cool when i plow through the loose sand and every one nearby cheers me on.

...cuz every one has fallen in one of those sink traps.
epic_elite

Postby teardropper » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 pm

I took my good bikes to the playa once, for Rendezvous, and decided not to bring them back. I bought a couple of Huffy beach cruisers on Craig's List for $40 dollars, ones with 2.125x26 tires and keep the chain dry lubed with stuff I got at my bike shop, rinse them off at home and reapply the dry lube and they look just fine. Though they look fine, I am not going to bring the street bikes back again. The cruisers work just fine and think with a minimum of care should be good for years.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby epic_elite » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

if you live in the Portland area, you could grab one of the bikes off the zoobomber monument for free. ;)

or look on craigs list for one.

they come pre-funked and playafied and custom made for the weekly trip to the zoo.
epic_elite

Previous

Return to Transportation