Great Shade Structure Source!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby epic_elite » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm

To the Origional Post, that looks like a solid structure with a good footprint. I am a bit worried about the moving shade. im a big fan of the monkey hut and i am strongly concidering getting one of these north poles and putting monkey huts at 90 degree angles for constant shade, with multiple 'rooms'.

ive read a good 90% of this thread, and haven't seen a single mention of either the monkey hut or the puma cave... ?

at a previous BM forum i used to frequent it was the go to structure of choice. it kicked rear in '07, and the puma cave we had was possitioned with the wind, so we didn't really get to test it's integrity.

the nice thing about it.... i can break it down and load it on top of my honda.

here's my photo set of a practice run for assembling the monkey hut:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/epic_elite ... 636600580/

and here's a 'how-to' site for building:
http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

cost... about $100.
epic_elite

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I am a fan of the north pole shade because I have no off playa storage space. This fold up into a sack like a big tent. I just cannot manage anything larger. The moving shade is not a problem. there's a flap you can move from sunrise side to sunset side, but even with out that, there is a big area of shade. Plenty for one in any case. If there were many people to shade, the chairs could move from side to side. 30 ft dia. footprint. Some have had problems with the plastic hooks and d rings for the shade flap, but these could be replaced I think without too much trouble. It handles wind very well, and this sits large on the plus column.
Elorrum

Postby epic_elite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

[quote="Elorrum"]I am a fan of the north pole shade because I have [u]no[/u] off playa storage space. This fold up into a sack like a big tent.[i][b][/b][/i][/quote]

thanks for that!

i am seriously concidering this structure, still.

you say 'big tent'. i also live in an appartment and space is an issue. i also drive a honda. i hear 12' pole and that could pose as a hangup for me. does the pole break down?

what are the dimentions when folded up in its bag? *goes back to look for link to official site.

i also live in the pacific north west. i have one of those 10' by 10' foldable cannopies for off season camping, and with the flaps and general design of this thing i think it could easily replace my canopy.
epic_elite

Postby epic_elite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:59 pm

here's a link to the walmart's listing. (its almost $200)

this is what it looks like folded down, but no dimentional stats
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.g ... 6854775808
epic_elite

Postby Blurt » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 pm

I just bought this north pole thing at OVerstock.com for $158.26 Canadian!

I am looking forward to having the van parked next to one entrance, blocking wind and a big tent at another entrance, and the flap thing for the third entrance. I will throw a couple inflatable beds and some chairs in and that's it.

Thanks to the OP for the suggestion!
Blurt

Postby chris2010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:04 pm

epic_elite wrote:here's a link to the walmart's listing. (its almost $200)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.g ... 6854775808

Do you have the regular link to this? I can see the images but I can't seem to find it on the walmart website.

Thanks
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby epic_elite » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 pm

[quote="chris2010"][quote="epic_elite"]here's a link to the walmart's listing. (its almost $200)

[/quote]

Do you have the regular link to this? I can see the images but I can't seem to find it on the walmart website.

Thanks[/quote]

typeing "walmart northpole" brought me to this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10993628

but i wouldn't buy it from there... as most have already posted sources that sell it for much much cheaper. i just looked to see if they had any reviews posted on thier site.
epic_elite

Postby chris2010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:26 pm

epic_elite wrote:
chris2010 wrote:
epic_elite wrote:here's a link to the walmart's listing. (its almost $200)

Thanks

typeing "walmart northpole" brought me to this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10993628

but i wouldn't buy it from there... as most have already posted sources that sell it for much much cheaper. i just looked to see if they had any reviews posted on thier site.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :)
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I got mine on overstock.com before 2008 burn... paid around $150.00.
packed dimensions about 3' x 1'
Elorrum

Postby epic_elite » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Elorrum wrote:I got mine on overstock.com before 2008 burn... paid around $150.00.
packed dimensions about 3' x 1'

3' by 1'? are you kidding me???

im 75 percent impressed. and the other 25% is in disbelife!

does the pole come appart or is it telescoping?

that thing takes up slightly more room than my pup tent... and about 1000% bigger.
epic_elite

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I actually measured the length as it is in my closet, and it was under 36 inches... but I rounded up. the pole is in sections that fit into each other, with a spring pin that pops through the corresponding hole in the outer sleeve. There is no floor, and a good amount of the surface is mesh, rolls up pretty compactly like any tent. the spreaders break down into sections as well.
Elorrum

Postby epic_elite » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Elorrum wrote:I actually measured the length as it is in my closet, and it was under 36 inches... but I rounded up. the pole is in sections that fit into each other, with a spring pin that pops through the corresponding hole in the outer sleeve. There is no floor, and a good amount of the surface is mesh, rolls up pretty compactly like any tent. the spreaders break down into sections as well.

wow...

thanks. there is a high likelyhood that i will be purchasing one of these. perhaps, even getting rid of my 10x10 canopy.
epic_elite

Postby skibear » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Last summer there were great deals on this Northpole Party Shade.
IRC $88 at Walmart & about $100 at Target.

I know,having almost bought one.
Puzzled why price is back up. Supply & demand maybe.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Re: stakes

Postby Rommel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm

[quote="phil"][quote="Bob"]>SNIP<
by using heavier stakes, possibly extra stakes & cord,
>SNIP<
Maybe bring a sturdy bucket you can stand on to reach corner poles.
[/quote]
Both quoted comments are excellent advice. The stakes for the parawing were just wire about six or eight inches long - I used rebar instead. I don't think any tent pegs that come with any tent or shade are worth using in general, and they definitely won't hold at Burning Man.

After people telling me for years to bring a little plastic stool I finally did last year. I sit on it to pull rebar (I'm 60, so I need to sit while I pull rebar), and the stools are also excellent for standing on to reach stuff that's just out of reach. A plastic five-gallon bucket is higher, but I'm heavier than some 5' 1" women, so I prefer the stool. :-> A bucket or stool is excellent advice I should have taken years ago.

Remember - everyone tells you what works for them, and they assume it'll work for you, too.[/quote]

It will.

If you purchase 10" military stakes, you won't have to drag up all
that heavy rebar. I've been fielding 14,750 SQFT of camouflage
for 14 years, and have never lost a stake; not to mention there
has never been a stake injury... unlike rebar that accounts for most
of the playa lacerations.
Rommel

Autoritär für Gigsicherheit
'oderint dum metuant'
Rommel

Re: Great Shade Structure Source!

Postby yizzah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:58 pm

This structure looks awesome, but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere online. Maybe it's not being made anymore? Anyone have an active link to it or something similar?
yizzah

Postby yurtgirl » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am

This looks great. I'll google and bing till I find one and share the link!

Edit*
Ack! Hard to find. A used one on ebay is up to over $200. Seems the personal size isn't out there that I can find but if you got a couple grand you can get one with a commercial logo on it.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

Postby Igneouss » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:15 pm

This product does not seem to be available any more. The manufacturer does not show it on there web site. Several retailers list it but always 'out of stock'.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Urban » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am

I have this wierd plan to drive over a 48 foot tarp, take the tarp up and over my RV and attach the other end down with 10" spikes in a lean to type shape.. Under the right triangle portion, Under the tarp, I am putting in an e-z up and 8 ft table held down by gas cans and 6 gallon water storage.

I didnt want to attach the tarp to the RV afraid in a wind, it would rip off the roof rails etc. That is why I am putting one end under the tires of the RV.

Am I overthinking this? I have a powerpoint design, but dont know how to attach it to this post.
Urban

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:34 am

Sounds good.

Use 18" stakes!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby yizzah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

I ended up building a Monkeyhut, that should do the trick.
yizzah

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping