Playa weddings

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Playa weddings

Postby Icepack » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:14 pm

Last year there were several folks planning on playa weddings. Some legal, some just for fun and personal fulfillment. I know it's early in the planning, but do we have a new pack of brides and grooms starting up?

I did a legal wedding at home before we arrived at burning man in 2003, and we planned to do an on-playa wedding but didn't get to it. Not sure if we'll try again for 2004 or not.
Icepack

I'm getting married

Postby princesa del fuego » Wed May 26, 2004 12:02 pm

I am planning on getting married this year. I have so many ideas but I don't know that many people, I would like to find a firetruck for rob to ride on since he's a career fireman and some kind of horse and carriage deal for me...since we will be wearing celtic renaisance clothing. I am working on the bagpipers now, and hope to bring a bunch of people in to wear renaisance clothing. Also looking for a photographer we do want this to be a legal wedding
princesa del fuego

Postby AntiM » Wed May 26, 2004 12:53 pm

and some kind of horse and carriage deal for me...

Horse? As in a real live horse? Ahhh .... right. Although I bet you could find plenty of folks happy to be impromptu horsies for you.

Too bad my Amish buggy won't be making a playa debut until at least next year. We have an open trailer, but the drive is tough on it, as we found out when we hauled it in from Ohio to Utah. 2005 might find us in a full semi, but then again, maybe not.

If I know when and where I probably can easily convince Larry that the wedding party needs shave ice for refreshments.

Best Wishes for you both.

Anti M
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 26, 2004 3:02 pm

We are definately planning a playa wedding this year, as well as an off-playa one a few weeks later. (Possibly dumb question--what is the liscencing for two ceremonies? I've sort of assumed that the legal one would be the off-playa, but my Sweetie seems to think that they should both be legal. Any input?)

A thought on the fire truck for Rob. If he volenteers for the fire department, my guess is something could be worked out. They are a good bunch of people. You can e-mail the Emergency Services Department at 911@burningman.com
Of course, that's only if Rob is interested in volenteering anyway and I wouldn't make that conditional on the use of a resource in your ceremony.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 26, 2004 3:03 pm

of course in keeping with the theme, someone could organize a "Reverend Moon'n'stars" mass ceremony.
theCryptofishist

Postby actiongrl » Wed May 26, 2004 4:14 pm

Don't forget to write to weddings at burningman-dot-com; Affinity is a great resource for officiants, info on getting your licenses squared away, etc.

There's also a web page at http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... dings.html . full of info!

Sincerely,
AG
Who will marry (dressed in red) at the Temple of Stars on playa... Friday night at 6:30 :)
actiongrl

Postby spectabillis » Wed May 26, 2004 4:36 pm

actiongrl wrote:AG - Who will marry (dressed in red) at the Temple of Stars on playa... Friday night at 6:30

Seriously? Congratulations!
spectabillis

Postby KellY » Wed May 26, 2004 6:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:We are definately planning a playa wedding this year, as well as an off-playa one a few weeks later. (Possibly dumb question--what is the liscencing for two ceremonies? I've sort of assumed that the legal one would be the off-playa, but my Sweetie seems to think that they should both be legal. Any input?)

That's just what I did last year. We ended up having the second off-playa wedding be the legal one because we were too busy leading up to the event to deal with it then.

As far as I know, you can only have one "legal" ceremony. You can have as many ceremonies as you want, but there will be only one date on your license. I've never heard of anyone getting multiple licenses for the same marriage.

Blackswan and I will definitly be at AG's wedding as part of our First Anniversary Playa Tour.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby dyslexia » Wed May 26, 2004 9:52 pm

Got engaged on-Playa last year. Are having off-Playa, legal ceremony June 5th. We do want to have a Playa Wedding as well, though.

We are not 100% sure if we want to broadcast it or keep it small (like mostly just our camp and have a smaller thing). I am leaning towards broadcasting it, though, b/c, hell, the more the merrier, yes?

My question: do ppl really care? I mean if you don't know me from freakin' Eve and you hear about my wedding on the playa are you really gonna come and if you do, do you expect cupcakes? :)

Alternately, if you run across a random couple getting married on a random Wednesday that happens to be during Burning Man and you happen to stumble upon this out at, say the temple sometime around 10:00-ish at night (a.k.a. when it's finally gettin' dark for real), you are most likely gonna hang and watch and celebrate, ya? I mean, is keeping it small even realistic? I think no, but I am interested in what others have to say about it.
dyslexia

Postby _tears_ » Wed May 26, 2004 11:46 pm

dyslexia wrote:Got engaged on-Playa last year. Are having off-Playa, legal ceremony June 5th. We do want to have a Playa Wedding as well, though.

We are not 100% sure if we want to broadcast it or keep it small (like mostly just our camp and have a smaller thing). I am leaning towards broadcasting it, though, b/c, hell, the more the merrier, yes?

My question: do ppl really care? I mean if you don't know me from freakin' Eve and you hear about my wedding on the playa are you really gonna come and if you do, do you expect cupcakes? :)

Alternately, if you run across a random couple getting married on a random Wednesday that happens to be during Burning Man and you happen to stumble upon this out at, say the temple sometime around 10:00-ish at night (a.k.a. when it's finally gettin' dark for real), you are most likely gonna hang and watch and celebrate, ya? I mean, is keeping it small even realistic? I think no, but I am interested in what others have to say about it.

I attended a few random Playa weddings last year ( one of them i got an invite too by a naked guy with pink feet ). I had a wonderful, i met MANY great people and it was a good experiance all around. It was a memory that is in my mind foreevr

P.S - Like your User hanle ( I have dyslexia )

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Action girl....

Postby princesa del fuego » Thu May 27, 2004 7:13 am

action girl. Is your wedding at 6:30 on Friday. Are you getting married at the man or the temple? I was trying to coordinate my time as well.
princesa del fuego

crypto

Postby princesa del fuego » Thu May 27, 2004 7:27 am

crypto----you can only have one official date...we wANT ours to be sept 5 and then we are having a mideaval banquet on Halloween for our friends.
princesa del fuego

Postby Bob » Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 am

Just my opinion, but I don't see the inherent nature of the playa as very conducive to weddings. By the end of the week, half your friends are taking dirt naps along a two mile stretch of parade-ground-turned-refugee-camp, and you don't feel too chipper yourself. One year I waved bye-bye to a bus full of most of a wedding party about half an hour before one couple's ceremony, and four hours later they were still lost in parts unknown. And people are going to judge the success of the event more by the catering and the open bar than the hippie poetry of some fly-by-night preacher, IMO. YMMV, of course.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Thu May 27, 2004 10:51 am

Take Kelly's, for instance -- missed it completely because I forgot what day I was.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby KellY » Thu May 27, 2004 11:26 am

It's true, many people who wanted to be at our wedding didn't make it - that's what happens when you plan a playa event for Friday night. A lot folks did though, and some folks just showed up and had a good time. We actually met someone at the Folsom Street Fair who recognized us from our wedding. She said she'd just been wandering by (we got married at Thunderdome) and stopped to watch, and that it turned out to beher favorite experience at the event that year. So that was nice.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes
KellY

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 27, 2004 11:34 am

I have agree with you Bob, which is why I'm content to have the legal ceremony off-playa. But it will give us the opportunity to have playa friends attend, even though they can't all make it for the actual ceremony. And I think any cleverness with food will be appreicated. (Since S and I are not big drinkers I think it will be sort of BYOB past a few six packs of beer.) I definately think of something on playa time, beside a spectacular sculpture wearing a sarong and a leather bra, in good spirits to be fun and much less of a headache to plan as compared to the other ceremony. And passers-by would be welcome, I think a poster or two at Playa info inviting the community at large, word of mouth. Let the "Playa Magic" have its way with us. I'm looking for a veil that I can have lighting under.
And I have to admit that the idea of a Playa Wedding shower just cracks me up!
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 27, 2004 11:35 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I have agree with you Bob
I meant "half agree"

(pounds head on desk repeatedly)
theCryptofishist

Postby actiongrl » Fri May 28, 2004 1:39 pm

I figure whoever shows up is quite welcome, and it will be short and sweet and without the usual trappings. I can't afford champagne for 300 random people who wander up.

Our entire families will be there, and those good friends to whom it's really important will be there, and others will try to make it and forget...having had a playa birthday each year, I know that planning a party is a dicey affair in the land of ten million distractions. I don't care, as long as he is there. It being my second wedding, I haven't the compulsion to Get All Bridal about it. We're having a reception in the city a month later, for those who get stopped on Friday on the way to the wedding by the BRC Animal Control or somesuch, and find themselves full of tequila and forget to remember where they're headed.

My wedding is at 6:30 PM, at the Temple of Stars, and everyone is invited to enjoy, participate, attend. Hell, do a performance if you want. I'm not planning anything much beyond an officiant, a buncha wedding garb (the bride will wear red, yes indeed) and a secret bottle of champagne for we two.
actiongrl

Return to Experiences at Burning Man