Call for Volunteers: The Silo art installation

Call for Volunteers: The Silo art installation

Postby ryanw79 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm planning a big art installation for Burning Man this year. Code name "The Silo," the proposal is for a 75 foot tall silo constructed with nearly 2,000 wood pallets, and illuminated with interactive, sequenced LEDs. The silo is a conceptual response to the metropolis theme, addressing that theory that cities could not exist without agriculture (in short). Best of all, the plan is to BURN it at the end of the week! It's a very ambitious project, but a very simple one. Images: [url]http://gallery.me.com/ryanw79/100114[/url]

I'm looking for volunteers to:
[list]• Help with tough manual labor on the playa, PRE-event.
• Assistance on-hand during the event, handy people, gophers, just help if needed.
• General help with fund raisers throughout the year, worldwide.
• MOOP officer and clean-up crew (we will hopefully burn Friday allowing all weekend to clean up).[/list]

Don't expect to get a free ticket out of this or anything. Remember your principles ([url]http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_burningman/principles.html[/url]). This is all about participation, collaboration, and creating something to be proud of... art!

No virgins please, go and experience your first burn, have fun!

If you're interested in helping send the following directly to me at ryanw79@gmail.com:
[list]• name/playa name
• previous camps or registered projects you've worked on
• years you've attended[/list]

This info is just for the proposal, but if you have any relative experience (carpentry/construction, management, etc.) please let me know. Oh and if you have a fear of heights you'll want to let me know, not a problem, just let me know.

Thanks!
[b]Ryan[/b]/[b][color=red]Red Rover[/color][/b] :)[/img]
ryanw79

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 pm

http://gallery.me.com/ryanw79/100114
Sounds awesome ryanw79! PM sent, also took the liberty of putting in your link above and one of the photos below. That puppy will be one helluva nice observation place (if burners can climb up inside it?) and one HUGE bonfire at the end! Hope this happens!

Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby ryanw79 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:18 am

Tiahaar wrote:http://gallery.me.com/ryanw79/100114
Sounds awesome ryanw79! PM sent, also took the liberty of putting in your link above and one of the photos below. That puppy will be one helluva nice observation place (if burners can climb up inside it?) and one HUGE bonfire at the end! Hope this happens!

Thanks! Yes, that's the idea! I want people to ascend it. I'm working out details on that and the internal structure may change from this. And yes, it will make an awesome fire!

Mod Note: Don't turn off the HTML, or other code if you want quotes to work. the default settings work fine.
ryanw79

Postby Madgirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

I agree, this sounds like a really cool project, especially if we're able to climb it. Definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in helping out with...don't know how much I'd be able to contribute to the construction but I could certainly be a gopher or help with MOOP clean-up! I'll send you an email here in a bit. Looking forward to hearing more about this!
Madgirl

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp Above the Limit

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Tiahaar wrote:...if burners can climb up inside it?) and one HUGE bonfire at the end!

Am I less of a barbarian if I hope that those two clauses are not necessarily connected? :?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Am I less of a barbarian if I hope that those two clauses are not necessarily connected?

Heh Heh... "Welcome Fool! You have come of your own free will."

ryan, I love this project idea. If I weren't already getting started on a project here, I'd love to be a part of this. But I'll just have to give kudos for the idea, for now.

I really like the agricultural aspect.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Please think about access for people with disabilities.

I've got to put together some sort of handbook for this.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:34 am

if you plan to burn that thing, remember that its not gonna come crashing down vertically. Theres a high risk of it toppling in any given direction.

consider building it around a metal core of some kind that can help "guide" the structure as it crumbles
klondike_bar

Return to 2010 Art & Performance