Inside Out House

Inside Out House

Postby fbcota » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Modern humans have a strange relationship with nature. Forests, valleys and deserts are now intimidating and foreign, almost unnatural. The Metropolis however, has become our natural state, the forest has been replaced by downtown skyscrapers, the valleys are the suburbs and the desert is simply that part of town experiencing an economic drought.

The Inside Out House represents modern humans need to create a metropolitan natural world. The need to carve nature into a more comfortable shape and label it home.

From the outside, the Inside Out Houses appearance matches its name. Participants will encounter a small building (about 8ft by 8ft square and about 12ft), the outside of the building looks like the inside of a suburban home, with a living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The playa under their feet will give way to wood floors and bathroom tiles. Couches and coffee tables will invite people to sit and relax. Books, mail, trinkets and toys will tell the tale of a suburban couple living their day to day life in Black Rock City. The house is filled with little details, the odd collection of items that people gather over a lifetime.

From the living room participants can grab a coat and open the front door to go “Outsideâ€
fbcota

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 am

great, you just gave away the suprise, guess i wont have to visit this one.

On a serious note, sounds really cool cant wait
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:40 am

Stop being so damn creative, you are making the rest of us look bad.

Pretty damn cool, actually...
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Cool!

What are you planning in terms of access for people who don't ....

Oh crud. I don't want to say "with disabilities" because that doesn't include the deaf. And all I can think of are totally namby pamby difinitions. There must be a way to ask for inclusion.

POOF!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby pinemom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Fishy, just say Im in Whellchair mode....how Do I get in.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby pinemom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 pm

BTW fb, sounds really cool!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby fbcota » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Well, we should have 4 "special" parking spaces around the structure and a button that lifts people in and out of the project. So far though, I can't gaurantee the safety of those parking spaces or the lift,....

The whole project should be wheel chair accessible. I have a good friend who was unable to explore last years project so I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Thanks Pinemon, Cryptofish, Ugly Doughly and Fire_moose. I kinda needed a bit of a pat on the back, a bit of motivation to make this thing somehow happen in our lovely economy.

Ohh, if anyone has a Godzilla costume you now have a home.
fbcota

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:19 am

And a lovely economy it is.
Ugly Dougly

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:15 am

Build your city, and Godzilla will come.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby lonestoner916 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:10 pm

This is fucking great! Have you considered applying for an art grant? The deadline is fast approaching but it's not too late, and this sounds like a winner. There's some great advice about applying both here and at Tribe.net in the Burning Man Tribe. Good luck, I really hope to see the Inside Out House on the Playa this year!
lonestoner916

Postby fbcota » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Grant is sent in and waiting for approval,........ :shock:

So far I know of a number of pretty amazing projects proposed this year, so I'm not holding my breath on grant funding, although mine is pretty affordable, wink, wink, nudge, nudge,... Ein Hammer better get some funding!

Im just going to do what we did last year. Hope for grant, if we don't get the grant, then I will just sell myself for plywood, paint and LED's!
fbcota

Return to 2010 Art & Performance