How to speed up your eplaya viewing by blocking animations

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

How to speed up your eplaya viewing by blocking animations

Postby rodiponer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 am

Large animated video clip GIFs slow down my browser. The effect is cumulative, so, for example, if there are several posts from someone who uses a video clip of a goat stomping on a man as a signature, my browser will freeze up for as much as a minute when the page first loads.

Less nerdy visitors here may not realize that the animated GIFs are causing their browser to slow down or freeze up. They may think that the forum itself is very very slow. They may find it helpful to know that:

On Firefox and Internet Explorer, you can press the Escape key to stop animated images from playing. Or, if AdBlock is installed in Firefox, right click on the image to block it permanently.

Chrome and Safari do not have a built in way to block images. On a Mac, I think the easiest way is to just block the website that the offending signature loads from, by editing the /etc/hosts file and adding the line:
127.0.0.1 4gifs.com

I am posting this here because I do not know if there is an appropriate place here for a nerdy tech tip.
rodiponer

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:16 am

that is great advice and info, thanks.

There is a thread:
"Tech advice for all and for all subjects" That might be a good spot.

viewtopic.php?t=23269&highlight=
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby rodiponer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks, I'll copy and paste this there.
rodiponer

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Dat's not a goat, dat's DaMule.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Risky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:18 pm

And I think 'stomping' is inaccurate.
He just wants to cuddle.
Risky

Postby ibdave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Risky wrote:And I think 'stomping' is inaccurate.
He just wants to cuddle.

You should know....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Risky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Da Mule is a great snuggla.

jealous much? :lol:
Risky

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Escape works on a Mac with Firefox. Haven't tested Safari.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Re: How to speed up your eplaya viewing by blocking animatio

Postby Deb Prothero » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:45 am

rodiponer wrote:Chrome and Safari do not have a built in way to block images. On a Mac, I think the easiest way is to just block the website that the offending signature loads from, by editing the /etc/hosts file and adding the line:
127.0.0.1 4gifs.com

I am posting this here because I do not know if there is an appropriate place here for a nerdy tech tip.

Thanks for posting this information, rodiponer. I thought it was my computer that was the problem. Being a bit less technically inclined, can you tell me where to find the /etc/hosts file? I did a search but nothing showed up. I'm on a MacBook Pro using Safari.
Deb Prothero

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 am

You know something, if animated gifs slow down your internet experience, IT REALLY IS YOUR COMPUTER.

Geeezz! What are yall running, 486's?

If you have at least a pentium 4 with 512 ram, animated gifs should not have any affect on your browser. PERIOD!

This is a fact. If you do have at minimum these specs and you are experiencing slow responses, then there is definitely something wrong with your computer.

On the mac side, you would have to be running a Mac classic to have any problems.

Sorry, it just kills me a topic like this.

Time to come out of the stone ages and get with the technology folks.
You have enough money to go to the playa but not enough to invest on your computer? :x

The only thread on this entire board that should affect anyone's browser is the " MY FAVORITE MOVIE ON YOUTUBE (TODAY) IS..." Thread.

Oh and hey, maybe you should try installing an anti virus program! :roll:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 am

:D

I have a Pentium 4 now, and the Mule locks it up something awful.

I don't doubt there are all kinds of things "wrong" with my pooter, but the reality is that those things are probably going to remain "wrong". Most of us are not as tech savvy as you are, DVD.

Thanks, Rodiponer! Hit the Esc. key, that I can do!
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Meh!

I guess if Elliot is having a problem then I guess it must be a real issue.

:?

Irony of it all is this is just the thing that Badger used to talk about. The irony? Badger is also guilty of using animated gif's. :lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby rodiponer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:Thanks for posting this information, rodiponer. I thought it was my computer that was the problem. Being a bit less technically inclined, can you tell me where to find the /etc/hosts file? I did a search but nothing showed up. I'm on a MacBook Pro using Safari.

Hi Deb,
I am not sure how to do this on the polite graphical side of the Mac, so here is the nerdy way I would do it:

1- Open a Terminal window by pressing command-spacebar, then typing Terminal and pressing enter.
2- Copy and paste this line into the terminal window, then press enter:

sudo sh -c "echo '127.0.0.1 4gifs.com' >> /etc/hosts"

3- Type in the password to your macbook
4- Done.

I have a recent MacBook Pro (2ghz dual core), and this is a problem on all of the browsers that are available for this computer. One stomping huggy mule is not a problem, but several on one page will nearly freeze the browser up.
rodiponer

Postby jella » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm

thanks for the tip :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 pm

rodiponer wrote:
I have a recent MacBook Pro (2ghz dual core), and this is a problem on all of the browsers that are available for this computer. One stomping huggy mule is not a problem, but several on one page will nearly freeze the browser up.

I'm on a Dell and have no problems.

Maybe you ought to get a PC.

:lol:

Just joking!

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:48 pm

The fireworks GIF I was using around the 4th of July was giving me a few seconds sometimes if a bunch were on one page, but 50 mules are required before my PC gets bogged down.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:10 pm

And that still did not interrupt my surfing pleasure.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby rodiponer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 pm

I wouldn't even try to open this thread without the filters on...
rodiponer

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 am

DVD Burner wrote:And that still did not interrupt my surfing pleasure.

It didn't slow mine down either...I was just guessing that it would.
oneeyeddick

Postby Risky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 am

No problems here, either.
And I have a good old fashioned ginormous laptop that's about 10yrs old.
Risky

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 am

I'm sorry but if anyone had a problem going through the thread, they should get their computer maintained. there has got to be someone good in the neighborhood that can make the computer work faster that isn't gonna cost more than 35-60 bucks. The investment is worth at least that much.
If anyone's computer or browser crashes through this thread there really is something wrong with your computer.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby rodiponer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

Maybe. I don't know. I am nerdy enough to know that nothing seriously funky is going on with my laptop. It's a current MacBook Pro (2 ghz, dual core, 2 gb ram).

The current Chrome for Mac doesn't allow plugins, so my browser is completely the same as everyone elses. I don't know how browsers work internally, but a problem that is very specific to decoding large animated GIFs does not seem like something that could be impacted by a conflict with other software on this computer. The animations render at a reasonable speed, it just takes forever to initially load them. Decoding a GIF is not rocket science, even I was able to write a specialized GIF decoder for an embedded game a few years ago, and I am extremely lazy.

So I am not sure why the goat stomping the man is a problem for some people and not for others. But I think it is likely that some people with completely fine computers can have a problem with it. I bet it comes down to the amount of free memory you have when you load the page, since this is proportional to the number of stomping goats on a page and explains why people with similar processors don't have a problem watching ten goats stomp a man at once.

Each GIF probably takes enough memory for every frame of the animation in 24 bit color (width*height*frames*2), which could easily by 10 megabytes for a stomping goat. If the programmer who wrote the decoder wasn't thinking of GIFs with a lot of frames when he wrote it, he might have done something inefficient like allocate this memory in a series of chunks for each frame as he decode the image, instead of doing it all at once. So 10 stomping goats at 100 frames is 1,000 memory allocations of 100k that add up to 100 megabytes. If the computer has to swap memory to disk to make room for that, and it has to keep swapping it to disk in small chunks over and over again instead of doing it all at once, that would explain why the computer freezes up for thirty seconds or a minute while it works through making room for each moment of the goat stomping, one little stomping bit at a time.

If someone has slightly more free memory, there is no swapping and the goat can be decoded and start stomping nearly instantly.

This has been a known bug with WebKit based browsers for a long time-- both Safari and Chrome are affected. Things like this sound easy to fix, just cache the friggin image and reuse it, instead of keeping 1 copy for every time it shows up on a web page, well... That can sometimes be hard to fix because of the architecture of the software (software is so big and complicated these days that, if there's not a way to fix something within the object model being used, it's sometimes better to just leave it unfixed than to hack in an exception that makes the whole huge machine more fragile and complicated, especially in the case of something that people shouldn't be doing anyways-- like having ten one hundred frame stomping goats on one page). Or it can even be an intentional decision for some weird ass political reason-- some complete sniveling pencil necked geek is probably proud of how beautiful his rendering pipeline is architected and doesn't want to cache decoded GIFs because that would break the pretty lines of flow.

Yeah, I bet it's related to memory. But who knows. Computers are complicated.
rodiponer

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 pm

And once again....that is not a goat.
oneeyeddick

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Are you on Cable wireless or DSL?

That could make a huge difference.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby rodiponer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Cable.

Maybe I am full of technobabble. I don't know why it is slow.
rodiponer

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Yea, you should not have any problems.
Do you have plenty of disk space?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Risky » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:32 am

Did 50 mules take down eplaya?
Risky

Postby rodiponer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 am

You've got to stop the goats! They are stomping the servers!
rodiponer

Works fine now.

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I just added one eye dick to my ignore list. Sorry I had to do it as my brouser was constantly freezing up. I can always see mules in Saline Valley.
Marscrumbs

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:45 pm

HaHaHaHa !!!!

Like that's gonna solve his computer's problems.

He prolly doesn't have any hard disk space left, but now he will never know...unless someone else asks him ?
oneeyeddick

Next

Return to Policy Discussion