American Speedster PVC quadcycle - do they work on playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

American Speedster PVC quadcycle - do they work on playa?

Postby fountainpen6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:05 pm

We're planning to make an American Speedster PVC quadricycle for BM 2010. I've only used a "regular" bike on the playa. Does anyone have advice or experience with this PVC 4-wheeler? How does it handle? Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks! :D
fountainpen6

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

It looks like this gentleman has been to Burning Man and has made an american speedster, and would be willing to comment. He was on the American Speedster website. Perhaps you've already looked into his link?
http://www.americanspeedster.com/burning_man.htm
Elorrum

Postby fountainpen6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey, thanks for the link! I had seen the site, but missed the link you sent. Much appreciated. I will be sending an email to Ken. Thanks!
fountainpen6

Postby carmatic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:41 am

these pedal powered 4 wheel vehicles are interesting... they remind me of

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06 ... icycle.php

not sure when you will be able to actually buy one of them! and theyre only single seaters...
carmatic

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:47 am

We're not handy at building/fabricating, and found this 4-wheel bike alternative, which some folks have used at BM before. http://www.thegrannybike.com/. So, you can buy a pair of "normal" beach bikes ($99 at Dick's, but we're looking for cheaper) and attach them together. There's even an add-on umbrella holder.
Bling

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 am

If money is no object and you have a trailer to haul it in, Rhoadescar makes sturdy vehicles. I think the speedsters are modeled after the rhoadescars. Heavy steel, and take a bit of TLC in the dust. They corner like tanks, and people sit on them and lock their bikes to them if you place them anywhere near other bikes. They get mistaken for golf carts and you get raver chicks who are huffy you cannot offer them a ride to the other side of the city. You can add a cooler easily, and a battery for lights. Then you get to argue with Gate.

"Do you have your MV license?"

"It's a bike."

"But it has a battery."

"That's for the lights."

"But you need a license."

"Not for bikes. It's a bike."

"But it has a battery."

And so on, repeat as unnecessary. We did it three times before the girl called someone else over to verify it was indeed, a bike. If we'd had electrical assist, it would have been impounded that year.

They are not cheap, but ours was an investment, otherwise I'd often be campbound. I didn't provide a link as it looks like they're "undergoing renovation" and there is no information or pictures. I'm sure the Speedsters are far lighter and a lot cheaper.

The canopies can act like a sail, be prepared to drop it off in high winds. You can add a small mister system easily, we use a patio umbrella system and a garden pump. You can pull a garden cart too, just add a simple hitch.

Also, they're great bases for art projects:

AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 am

Oh, LOVED those, but $$ is definitely an object. The Granny bike kit with umbrella holder = about $150, and once you put it together, it's easy to dissassemble so the bikes can take up less space. Since I haven't ridden a bike in about 20 years, it seemed like having 4 wheels would be a good idea, and the shade will help prevent heat exhaustion and sunburn. :-)
Bling

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 am

I can't ride a regular bike anymore, I can't take the pressure on my spine of sitting a bike seat. So four wheels is perfect. Yes, it is slower, but the slow pace and mini-camp at all times does prevent a lot pf problems. Poor MyLarry does most of the pedaling.

Umbrellas are less sturdy than canopies, look at ways to shore up the foldiong ribs and tie it down well when open.

I did an edit to my post ... different picture.
AntiM

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 am

Our umbrella is vented so wind will pass through it. :-) We may get seat-backs for the bike seats, too, along with comfy gel seats.
Bling

Postby justfred » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 am

I've ridden in one of the PVC ones, and I wasn't all that impressed. The flexibility takes away from pedaling power, making it a lot harder to propel, especially in bumps/sand/wind.

I have a tadpole tricycle - low slung, well geared - and it's pretty sweet; had a single-person quad for a while that was great but it got stolen (offplaya) and they don't make them anymore.

I'd try the granny bike.
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:11 am

Oops--it also has an SPF 50. Found it on Amazon, I think?
Bling

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 am

When we got ours, I don't think the Speedsters were yet a reality. Otherwise we might have gone that route, although at the time, Larry was working too many hours to devote to projects past camp shade.

We also added a trailer light kit so we have head and tail lights, and side marker lights. Larry converted an old one to LED lights, and threw on some purple marker lights too. Check the light section at a truckstop for inspiration and possibly supplies. Boat trailer light kits also do well, they are waterproof, which cuts down on dust in your lights.
AntiM

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the grannybike info Bling. It's a neat system that wouldn't be too difficult to DIY as well for those who like to do that.

I have seen similar set ups and riders looked very happy. looks like the bikes have to be pretty similar to each other, heights of handlebars particularly. might have a bit of push me pull you action to overcome, but the price is super!
Elorrum

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:14 am

I found a solar LED kit for the umbrella on eBay (the solar panel can mount to the top of the umbrella, hopefully--need to try this & see if it works), and some LED light sticks to tape or zip-tie to the bike axels. Haven't gotten front & rear lights yet, though. Boat lights are a great idea, hadn't thought of that!
Bling

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 am

I've seen granny bikes out there, they seem to do alright. I'd definitely make adjustments to the seats! I've seen them tall too, with seats up on a deck, but that takes tinkering ability.

We scored a used single seater rhoadescar this year, makes packing the trailer a bitch, we're trying to get it ready so I can have a bike I can pedal myself. I can barely move the two seater rhoadescar on my own. It weighs something like 120 lbs. or more.
AntiM

Return to Transportation