A question on swords...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Bob wrote:Image

Wonder if these are still on eBay.

Don't know about the swords, but sure like the MUTANT VEHICLES !!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Re: swords

Postby spectabillis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:35 am

EspressoDude wrote:the "OFFICIAL ANSWER" follows an inquiry ... response from Mike Marquart of blm:

Burocraticman!
spectabillis

Postby ygmir » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:48 pm

cut old one off

weld new one on

if, you refer to tang and all.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: ;)

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 pm

paul01 wrote:anybody here, knows how to change the handle of a medieval sword[/url] ?

Paul, most semi-accurate swords are assembled by peening the tang onto the hilt (handle, pommel etc.). If you grind or cut the peened end of the tang (the inner part of the hilt), the hilt parts should come off.

The problem is that you have shortened the sword. In order to re-peen the tang, you will need to make a shorter hilt or grind down the shoulders of the blade so that you can peen the tang onto the new hilt.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Oldguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:14 pm

First check the pommel end to see if there is a knock out pin. Just use a nail to knock it out, pull the pommel and handle off the tang. Replace handle on tang, replace pommel(counterweight) and poke in pin and drive home with nail and hammer.

If pommel is penned in with tang end, heat pommel and pull off with pliers when pommel expands. You might have to cut off tang rivet if metals have joined over time. To reassemle, you would the have to spot weld a cap on the tang. Then take a ballpenn hammer to shape your rivet dome.

I would suggest that when you get the handle off the tang, to get a die set and thread the tang end to recieve a nut to tighten assembly together tightly.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby ygmir » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
paul01 wrote:anybody here, knows how to change the handle of a medieval sword[/url] ?

Paul, most semi-accurate swords are assembled by peening the tang onto the hilt (handle, pommel etc.). If you grind or cut the peened end of the tang (the inner part of the hilt), the hilt parts should come off.

The problem is that you have shortened the sword. In order to re-peen the tang, you will need to make a shorter hilt or grind down the shoulders of the blade so that you can peen the tang onto the new hilt.

dang, Dougly, I've not seen that word used so many times in one sentece, ever........I'm envious.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 pm

paul01 wrote:anybody here, knows how to change the handle of (pardon me, I have to insert my spam into this post, only to have a mod remove it...)medieval sword[/url] ?

hey paul, in addition to the above good advice for authentic-type swords, since you might have one of the India-made copies or reenactment swords, also try twisting the pommel off like you were unthreading a RH-threaded nut. I have 3 nice reproductions and ALL have a pommel threaded on to a full length tang. Worth a try before getting out the saws and hammers, it takes a good twist to loosen.
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks, T. I assumed that Paul would have noticed that. ;)

Some of the newer high-quality blades have a threaded nut on the end.

Then a Japanese sword is another animal completely.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 pm

if i have a dagger that only does 4.60 DMG but has a +2 to STR and a poison DOT percentage less then 50% is that ok to carry around at the event?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Then a Japanese sword is another animal completely.

Actually, I think it's a mineral.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm

paul01 wrote:thank you soo much for the advice guys.

Where's the traditional sneer at the snark and thread drifters?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Welcome! And? Well? Don't leave us all hanging, did you get the handle off and how did you do it? We are mostly a very curious (& snarky) bunch here...
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 am

curious & curiouser
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

Where's the traditional sneer at the snark and thread drifters?

Help yourself.
Ugly Dougly

Late To The Party

Postby Wolfe » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 am

Re: Swords at BM:

Sorry for posting late on this one, but as Dougly stated, I was stopped by one of the Rangers (not the Black Rock kind; I'm talking the U.S. Government Employee-kind). He asked if the sword I was carrying that day was real, and I replied it was. He then told me, straight up: no swords, knives, or edged weapons. I asked if this also included the small knife I was carrying on my belt, and he replied that was also not allowed.

He was fully within his legal right to confiscate the weapons, but was kind enough to allow me to take them back to camp and stash them.

My recommendation? Avoid the hassle with the law, and bring a fake sword/axe/whatever made of plastic, or perhaps a bokken or some other practice sword made of wood. In my experience, working with the Ranger in this particular instance made my Burn easier and more enjoyable, plus I hope it gave my camp and fellow barbarians a good rep as non-shit disturbers when it came to the law.

If I do this event again in the same capacity, I'm bringing a plastic weapon.

--Wolfe

P.S. . . . and, as Ygmir can attest, I should consider a plastic hammer. I'm a danger to myself and others with a real one, not to mention the hammer itself 8) .

P.P.S. Dougly, thanks for the compliment; I try to be a competent and responsible swordsman. If only more swordsmen like us got in the news, instead of the wackos who go on killing sprees.
Wolfe

Postby ygmir » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:08 am

Nice to see you, Wolfe.
Chuckling.......well, as competent, and, downright dashing, as you are with a sword or edged weapon, I will agree, the hammer may not be your "thing".......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:16 am

EspressoDude wrote:
Bob wrote:Image

Wonder if these are still on eBay.

Don't know about the swords, but sure like the MUTANT VEHICLES !!

*Checking the layers to the background.* Wait! Are those speaker arrays? That's what I'm talking about.
Elorrum

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 am

Welcome back, Wolfe and happy new year!

Nobody bothered you about your whip, did they?
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Welcome back, Wolfe and happy new year!

I heard someone in his tent yelling "stop it some more", if, that's what you mean by "bothering"........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby littleflower » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 pm

hey wolfe!

the whip was awesome .... :D
littleflower

Postby Wolfe » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Welcome back, Wolfe and happy new year!

Happy New Year :). And no, no one bothered me about the whip. If anything, I seemed to be more popular carrying that around instead of a sword :D

Re: Pulling the Knife-- I had also seen in mentioned that someone pulled my knife without my permission? Actually, it happened to Alex. I was there when it happened. The events as I remember them:

Some guy pulled up on a bike as Alex, Heidi and I were manning the obstacle course. This guy put on some low-grade costuming and pulled out a boffer weapon, wanting to fight barbarians :). So, Alex went to town and schooled the guy. Afterwards, the guy offered a hug, and Alex reciprocated-- and the idiot grabbed Alex's knife out of its scabard *without Alex's permission*. I think he was attempting to show us that he was tricky, and would have theoretically stabbed Alex. We admonished him for that, and informed him that next time he attempted such, we would report him to the authorities at BM. He appeared penitent enough, and we sent him on his way. (If Alex or Heidi read this, please correct me on any of the details, as I may be in error; it's been a few months.)

--Wolfe
Wolfe

Postby jason1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 pm

[quote="ygmir"]*noting dancer photo at barbarian camp, '09*

well, yes Dougly,,,,,but then again, your camp did have the advantage......

*noting said photo closely resembles LF, with a tan*

[img]http://www.southfloridadancer.com/images/stories/belly/sword-dance.jpg[/img][/quote]

nice picture, what is the name of the sword that the girl brings? is that a barbarian sword?
jason1

Postby jason1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 pm

ygmir wrote:*noting dancer photo at barbarian camp, '09*

well, yes Dougly,,,,,but then again, your camp did have the advantage......

*noting said photo closely resembles LF, with a tan*

nice picture, what is the name of the sword that the girl brings? is that a barbarian sword[/url], because I really want you to click on the spam link I posted... damn, it's gone...
jason1

Postby Wolfe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 pm

jason1 wrote:nice picture, what is the name of the sword that the girl brings? is that a barbarian sword

I'd say it's more of a "piece of crap" sword by the look of it.

--Wolfe
Wolfe

Postby Patrick Hand » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 am

I have been to Pensic.... everyone carry's swords or knifes.....

I go to burningMan... and ... OH NO... NO swords....

who do I wanna poke with a sword or knife...

.no one.......

no one...

but we got the cops... wanna play their wired twisted games... .. fuck them

can I carry a weapon?

according to the Constitution of the Unite States ... yes,,, according to the commie bastards and the state of Nevada,,,, no... who you wanna trust....?

I
Patrick Hand

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:02 am

Wolfe wrote:
jason1 wrote:nice picture, what is the name of the sword that the girl brings? is that a barbarian sword

I'd say it's more of a "piece of crap" sword by the look of it.

--Wolfe

Yeah, an "El Cid" from Toledo. If you're looking at the sword, anyway.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 am

Patrick Hand wrote:I have been to Pensic.... everyone carry's swords or knifes.....

I go to burningMan... and ... OH NO... NO swords....

who do I wanna poke with a sword or knife...

.no one.......

no one...

but we got the cops... wanna play their wired twisted games... .. fuck them

can I carry a weapon?

according to the Constitution of the Unite States ... yes,,, according to the commie bastards and the state of Nevada,,,, no... who you wanna trust....?

I

BM is not Pennsic however. One of the differences is the random looney factor. :(
I think that education of the constabulary would be in order.
Ugly Dougly

Re: Late To The Party

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Wolfe wrote:
I was stopped by one of the Rangers (not the Black Rock kind; I'm talking the U.S. Government Employee-kind). He asked if the sword I was carrying that day was real, and I replied it was. He then told me, straight up: no swords, knives, or edged weapons. I asked if this also included the small knife I was carrying on my belt, and he replied that was also not allowed.

That's real nice of him to say that, yet the Black Rock Rangers are REQUIRED to carry a knife with them at all times ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Re: Late To The Party

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
Wolfe wrote:
I was stopped by one of the Rangers (not the Black Rock kind; I'm talking the U.S. Government Employee-kind). He asked if the sword I was carrying that day was real, and I replied it was. He then told me, straight up: no swords, knives, or edged weapons. I asked if this also included the small knife I was carrying on my belt, and he replied that was also not allowed.

That's real nice of him to say that, yet the Black Rock Rangers are REQUIRED to carry a knife with them at all times ?

yeah well, you'd sure want them to have that knife, if, your leg or your gear gets tangled in the kelp. You or someone else might drown if you can't be cut free.......

Jeeze, come on OED.......think safety in the hands of trained professionals........third, of course.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Patrick Hand wrote:...can I carry a weapon?

...according to the Constitution of the Unite States ... yes,,, according to the commie bastards and the state of Nevada,,,, no...

I encourage you to be a test case. Bring a sword, behave, get ticketed/arrested. Then have your day in court. If you lose the first round, appeal. If your claim has merit (and your funds hold out), you will prevail. And, help set a precedence for everyone else.

Like it or not, the BLM has used the laws of this country to make carrying swords illegal within the BM closure area (which happens to be BLM land, not Nevada - Nevada has nothing to do with this). They do this by adding rules to the Federal Register.

K. Weapons
1. Weapons.
(a) The possession of any weapon is prohibited;
(b) The discharge of any weapon is prohibited;
(c) The prohibitions above shall not apply to county, state, tribal and federal law enforcement personnel, or any person authorized by federal law to possess a weapon. Additionally ‘‘art projects’’ that include weapons and are sanctioned by BRC LLC will be permitted after obtaining authorization from the BLM authorized officer.

2. Definitions:
(a) Weapon means a firearm, compressed gas or spring powered pistol or rifle, bow and arrow, cross bow, blowgun, spear gun, hand thrown spear, sling shot, irritant gas device, electric stunning or immobilization device, explosive device, any implement designed to expel a projectile, switch blade knife, any blade with a sharpened or cutting edge and which is reater than 12 inches in length from the tip of the blade to the edge of the hilt or finger guard nearest the blade (e.g., swords, dirks, daggers, machetes), or any other weapon the possession of which is prohibited by state law

Register your sword with BM as an Art Project, change the law, or take your chances.

Complaining achieves nothing....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks