++++ Experiment ++++

++++ Experiment ++++

Postby followthroughforever » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:21 am

Hello Burning Man Community!
I have currently never attended but me and my friend are coming to the 2010 event! We are very excited. We had an idea, seeing this is a social experiment community ( what I have gained from reading atleast, I may be wrong )

We wanted to try and form some sort of currency here. Because if you look into history, currency wasnt just thought of and given to everyone, it started with a group of people. Since this is a community, what community doesnt have its own currency. This currency is only mach ( It does not hold any real value or serve any real purpose other than this idea ). Currency was started by bartering, trading and swaping for it. It was spread out among people this way. We would like to recreate this phenominea ( pardon my spelling ) , and see if it would be successful in this kind of community. I figured we would start early, start drawing up plans. This is still a very RAW idea and figured we would get some kind of feedback with it. Please respond if you think this is a good idea or a bad idea.

Thanks for your time!

-Corey

PS. This is going to be a very big task for us, we have just turned 21 and wanted to see what we were capable of.
followthroughforever

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:50 am

I have seen some very intricate and well designed paper money that has been distributed over the years in BRC. Lots of very fine detail and colorful images. If you are an artist, I would encourage you to create a masterpiece that people would appreciate. A great keepsake for 2010.

There is no actual commerce in BRC, but that should not stop you from distributing your money based on your own criteria. For instance, a very cool art cars could get $200 of your FTF bucks and nice costumes could get $30. You may even consider setting up your own bank storefront. You could also hang around BRC Post Office and pass your money out there. Another idea is to have your currency image printed on one side of a postcard and these could be mailed from BRC to the real world. You could even gift some 29 cent postcard stamps.

The possibilities are limited only to your creativity. Awesome idea with this because every big city needs a big bank!! :D
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am

Great experiment.

Start a coin collection, like they do on Yap.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby archeolojust » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:34 am

I think I understand the social experiment you want to try, but it won't work within this community because there is no barter system. As in, it seems frowned upon.

I do like the idea of you inventing money as an art and gifting it to people based on what you think their art car or costume or shade structure or whatever is worth.

But the overall social experiment, while WAY cool, will not work at BM, from what I have read. I'm new, too, but I'm also an anthropologist and have been reading these forums a lot. Also, I do find it very interesting how BM tries so hard to work without barter or commerce. It would seem to go against the nature of human cultural evolution. VERY neat.
archeolojust

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Bangarang

Postby followthroughforever » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for your input guys :) . And I don't know if this was not fully clarified, but when I said barter, since the money has no value i wouldnt expect to get something of real value. In order for this to work we would need a large group. But I am infact an artist, and will be drawing up currency of my own, and handing it out to people to remember this event and to the culture :) And who knows what could happen. I would think it would be an awesome experiment, but I dont think it would be possible really to have a controled experiment to compare it to, to see if in fact it was successful. But I am going to keep on thinking, because I want my first experience here to be a major impact on my life. I don't want to go there and sit around and watch, I want to bring something to the table :)
followthroughforever

Postby archeolojust » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 am

I think the problem would be that you aren't supposed to expect ANYTHING back. The feeling I get from the whole gifting thing is that you just...give of yourself with zero return, save for the good feeling you get. So, there would be no barter system at all because you'd just be handing out your artwork as presents to people, and not getting anything back except a thanks and a smile.
archeolojust

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:01 am

I may just be a Doubting Thomas, but it sounds like a MOOP producer to me.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:06 am

Maybe not, I have several nice notes I've gotten over the years. They're all in scrap books or on the front of the fridge. But use them for barter? Nope. Nifty gifts, yes.

Then there was the guy dressed like a banker who went around handing out two dollar bills with the Man stamped on the two dollar bills. I always wondered how much he gave out total.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby followthroughforever » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks guys! I think I had the wrong idea of the event, but now I'm just going to create and spread :) The experiment I wanted to try Ill find another way to do it at another time and place. Try and find me if you can there and get a couple :) .
followthroughforever

Postby archeolojust » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:34 am

Its a totally cool experiment and I'd love to hear about it if you ever DO get to try it out.

I've seen similar things done at a larp (yes, I'm THAT kind of nerd) as it started with barter in a colony, became a kingdom and created money...it was really neat from an experimental culture perspective.
archeolojust

Postby Parasitoid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 pm

If the "money" looked interesting I would probably be excited to take a piece home as a souvenir... If I was gifted a cool piece of "money" I think it might inspire me to give you a cool gift in return.

Peace.
Parasitoid

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm

followthroughforever wrote:Thanks guys! I think I had the wrong idea of the event, but now I'm just going to create and spread :) The experiment I wanted to try Ill find another way to do it at another time and place. Try and find me if you can there and get a couple :) .

Don't listen to newbs about what you can or can't do at Burning Man. Follow your bliss.
Ugly Dougly

Postby followthroughforever » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks, sounds like a plan. I have done Larps and I still do, so I'm that kind of nerd. But why label ourselves that way? Its not like its a degenerating thing, I think it actually expands your mind, its no different then going to a different culture? So are tourists nerds aswell? I think not!
I will work very hard on the idea and the design of the money, and I will post some pic ideas and such as they come along :) Since the theme is Metropolis, that opens up many opportunities :D
followthroughforever

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 pm

AntiM wrote:Then there was the guy dressed like a banker who went around handing out two dollar bills with the Man stamped on the two dollar bills. I always wondered how much he gave out total.

I met him maybe four years ago and asked if I could take his picture since he was dressed in a suit on the playa. What a surprise when he handed me one of those $2 bills. I still have it and love it!

If ftf wants to pm me his e-mail address, I will send him a very cool sheet of bills, both front and back, that were done a few years back. These were designed by an amazing artist and then posted online to be downloaded and printed for everyone to pass out if they wanted. I printed a stack on a good bond paper and passed a small amount out and left some in center camp.
Sham

Postby dr.placebo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 pm

How about recasting the experiment. Instead of currency, one could give out "thank you" notes, maybe in various denominations. It could be kinda cool to get a card with

"A Thousand Thanks!"

emblazoned on it.
dr.placebo

Postby Isotopia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Currency suggests an economic exchange. An idea that is anathema to the event and its principles. Except for purchases of coffee, ice, marijuana and other intoxicants, 'e', gas, liquor, food, building supplies, etc. DJ's (and their entourage)

Not sayin' you shouldn't follow through just don't assign expectations to it should it all go to hell and people don't buy into your conceptual art.
Isotopia

Postby pinemom » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:38 pm

ya, I was going to say, the whole wonderful thing at BM is the no $$ thing.

I know I know to each their own art.

But please dont come into the Booby bar waving funny money at me asking to pay for a drink...I throw you out!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Redeemable only for intangibles, as described clearly on the note.

Something like the Dreamland Security concept.
http://dreamyourtopia.blogspot.com/2008 ... tment.html

Ugly Dougly

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Sham

Postby pinemom » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:18 pm

well, geeze, i even think Zulegoona did a Apokiliptikan funny money.

so much for

".........and now for something completely different!"
pinemom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:05 pm

How about hug coupons?

I have seen those for a couple of years.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 pm

my money bucket got emptied.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:How about hug coupons?

I have seen those for a couple of years.

We got hug tokens last year, shiny coins "good for one hug" with a heart-shaped hole in the middle. Fun and cute.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:19 pm

http://pa.burningman.com/index.cgi?image=1085&results=1085&ord=1/1&skip=0&q_photog=sturtzr&q_category=&q_keyword=&q_year=2008

This is a link to the image gallery and has a link to a high grade image that can be printed 2 sided on a good bond paper. (not sure this makes sense, but I'm too tired to rewrite it)

Sham

Postby Isotopia » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 pm

How about hug coupons?

Hope they don't get too pissed off when they get their 'change' with a boot between their hippie ass.

Fuck hugs.
Isotopia

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Wow Iso, you're a burning hunk o love today.
Ugly Dougly

misdirected virgin

Postby pinemom » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:56 pm

followthroughforever

Here let me help you out, watching you post is like watching a kid run into a roller rink and go straight for the floor with non-slip tennis shoes on!
During Couples Only Skate!

Ok back up babe!

First off...go to the top of forums...and post (A NEW THREAD)in the introduce yourself ! Not someone elses, one especially for YOU!

Then get to reading!!!!!

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

Read this approximately 15-20 times till you can at least recite the first
paragraph from memory!
Print it out, put a copy next to the toilet, one on the fridge, one in your backpack or briefcase(however you stroll).
One in your car,in case your stuck in traffic or breakdown and need to wait for a tow truck.

Most everything you need to know or wanna know is there.
For the rest, then you can slowly come back in here and talk to us assholes.

When you post silly noob questions, you really dont get it quite yet.

So slow down there Speedy!

You still have 2.5 months before tickets go on sale, and 8 months before you have to pack your car!

Be a educated virgin!
there are tons of books and peoples excerpts of their adventures.

Read read read and research.

I lurked on theseboards for 3 yrs before I ever did my first post!

I was learning how to be a good burner first!

Have fun, now put your pants back on and walk in the door forward.
pinemom

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Well I'll be damned, would you look at that: There is a Survival Guide! I've gone to TTITD* for the past 11 years and never knew there was such a thing. Golllllly. I just thought it was a bunch of hippies camping out in the desert. Say, anybody got some water I could have?

* Some of us refer to Burning Man as "That Thing In The Desert"
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Yeah Doc, that little "guide" came out way after some of us started going.

I glanced at it last year for a second, nothing real pertinent in there, unless you are a dumbass and have never been camping before.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Yeah Doc, that little "guide" came out way after some of us started going.

I glanced at it last year for a second, nothing real pertinent in there, unless you are a dumbass and have never been camping before.

Mmm... and your point?
Ugly Dougly

Next

Return to 2010 Art & Performance