Quick question regarding Costco carport shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Quick question regarding Costco carport shade structure

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:18 am

I am going solo to BM and just found a killer deal on craigslist today for a 10 x 20 costco carport for $75 so jumped at it. When I get to BM, is it possible or easy to get some nice strong guys to help me put it up do you think and if so, should I have cold beers, margaritas at their disposal???

I guess I need to bring a ladder also to be safe, right since it is a high ceiling? Sorry, hope it is not a stupid question, just cant do it by myself. Thx!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:52 am

Actually a lot of people do it by themselves, but if you are short, it can be problematic.

If you are not short, practice in your yard, assemble the top first, put the cover on, put all of the legs on one side first, and then the other, and wa-la.

Good luck.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:44 am

I've used a 12x20 Sam's club shade/carport the last two years, and, it's held up very well........
not super hard to put up, but, it is nicer with a helper or two.

cold PBR is always appreciated, nudity and gratuitous sex, as well.......but, whatever your comfortable with is good........

People are usually quite willing to lend a hand, especially if you are trying to do it yourself, showing "self reliance", but, having some trouble.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 am

Yep I can confirm oneeyeddick's report. I've put up Costco carports more times than I remember, by myself as often as not. Just like he said, assemble the roof first, including the tarp, while on the ground, then put in one of the middle legs on one side, then the other middle leg on that same side, then the outer corner legs on that same side. Then go do the other side. When you first let go of it with only the first leg or two in (so you can grab and install the next) it'll flop and twist a lot but it'll hang together.

Do put the locking pins in every joint; if you're missing any then do something else like duct-taping the joints. Use every little bungee-cord tie on the tarps. You can get extras at home stores if they're missing. Use rebar and rope and tie it down like you were in Miami in hurricane season.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:55 am

If you're in Hushville, you can count on help hands.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:04 am

just an FYI...Dont stake/rebar down one side and forget about the other side, your shade can quickly turn into an almost useless mess.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:27 am

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Yes, AntiM I am going to be in Hushville, if you will allow me :wink:

I will practice here at home then make sure to have lots of cold beers and flash boobs if I have to :D

So do I not need the ladder then I assume??? Thx you guys. I am very independant and self-reliant but this one wasnt sure how to do.
winebuff

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:32 am

I've not found the need for a ladder.....although, I'm fairly tall.......
but, seems not necessary, since, as OED says, you'll be assembling the roof and bungees on the ground.....

probably, someone tall, or, with a ladder, will be near you, anyway.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:41 am

Perfect, less to bring in the truck. More room for crap :) Thank u!
The guy didnt have directions and we broke it down quickly so didnt mark parts. Can probably figure it out with hubby
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:55 am

Surfed around online but couldnt find directions for the carport. Anyone have them by chance?
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:03 am

Got the directions, THX STEPHEN!!!!!!!!
winebuff

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:47 am

We got one of those for barbarian camp. We threw on the roof before completely erecting the structure, figuring it would be easier to install it on the ground. As we raised the structure, the wind gusted up and threw the whole thing against my truck with great force, putting two big dents in my fender, and cracking two or three of the struts, rendering the whole thing useless.

Since high winds are unpredictable on the playa, I would advise putting up the whole skeleton before throwing the tarp over the top. Minor aggravation with reaching over the height of the structure is nothing compared to a pile of useless junk. :(
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am

We ditched the vinyl tarp stuff on ours and this year and went with a double layer of shade fabric for the roof held in with zip ties and a double wrap for the side walls.

The shade fabric is easier to pack and deal with than the vinyl stuff that will never fold up remotely as small as it does when you get it. Doubling the shade fabric also significantly reduces the amount of dust coming in while still allowing some of the wind to come through for ventilation.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:59 pm

We do the roof tarp on the ground where we can reach it, but yes, we've had the wind snatch it and torqued a tube. Now we have one person (me) as the designated anchor.

We tilt ours on one side, leaving one set of legs off. Lower profile and catches less wind. We don't need side or end walls, we have doubled netting or colorful billboard vinyls cut to fit and grommeted.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby yellowdog » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Since high winds are unpredictable on the playa

So pay attention to the prevailing wind direction when setting up, and when orienting your structure. Also, consider prevailing afternoon sun direction and utilization of available shade before staking down. Sounds logical, but is easy to overlook in all the excitement. (voice of experience).

DEFINITELY set up at home well before leaving.

Extra bungee balls are cheap (Harbor Freight Tools has 'em)

Consider sizing up some metal tubing for repair purposes. Even to slide into a bent tubing to support it, if you can't find an exact replacement size. Chain link fence tubing might work for you. you might be REALLY HAPPY you did.
yellowdog

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:03 pm

The Costco carport is The Official Structure Of Burning Man. It's very likely that you'll find people nearby that can show you how the pieces all fit. And if you have beer and boobs, I'd say the odds are 100%.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby winebuff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Lol, beer and boobs it is :D
winebuff

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 am

With enough beer and boobs.....you could take over the WORRRLLLLD!
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 am

Fire_Moose wrote:With enough beer and boobs.....you could take over the WORRRLLLLD!

HEY!!!

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Tip:

Since you'll be taking all the parts out at home when you receive it (to both practice building it and to make sure all said parts are there) get a few colors of bright paint for metal applications. Hobby/ Remote control shops are great for this....

Then when you assemble it, put splashes of bright paint on both sides of each part as you assemble. I.e. lime green pole end goes into lime green end of joint, etc.

This makes setting up a breeze, especially if you have helpers that have never seen it before. Or are doing it at night/in a whiteout. Or all of the above.....

By color coding the parts in high vis paint, you make the thing self explanatory for future uses.

If you're anal like me, you might also make a "count list" that you put in plastic that goes in the container/bag. When you break down, you count all poles, joints, bungees, etc before they get lumped in to be sure you haven't left any in the dust.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby winebuff » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:Tip:

Since you'll be taking all the parts out at home when you receive it (to both practice building it and to make sure all said parts are there) get a few colors of bright paint for metal applications. Hobby/ Remote control shops are great for this....

Then when you assemble it, put splashes of bright paint on both sides of each part as you assemble. I.e. lime green pole end goes into lime green end of joint, etc.

This makes setting up a breeze, especially if you have helpers that have never seen it before. Or are doing it at night/in a whiteout. Or all of the above.....

By color coding the parts in high vis paint, you make the thing self explanatory for future uses.

If you're anal like me, you might also make a "count list" that you put in plastic that goes in the container/bag. When you break down, you count all poles, joints, bungees, etc before they get lumped in to be sure you haven't left any in the dust.

LoR

Great idea with the paint. thx :)
winebuff

Postby Recoil » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:19 pm

what i did with my car port this last year was put a few of the stakes down first and used rope to tie down lossly the carport and only untie them when going to the next stage then tieing it right back down untill its all up and ready to go then buckle that thing down like hell

another tip that worked great is to get straight rebar to put down for each foot then put them over the bar, i found out after a few days that unless you do this no matter how good you tie down the thing it will still slowly move and slide around witch will damage the car port so doing the bars for each foot plus tie downs will make it extremely stable in the worst wind.

hope these help, it was my first year on the playa and it taught me a lot = D
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby winebuff » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Great suggestions recoil and everyone else.

How many burners does it take to put up a costco carport?

10. 3 to do the physical work and 7 to make sure their glowing wigs are on straight and will not blow away :D

Recoil wrote:what i did with my car port this last year was put a few of the stakes down first and used rope to tie down lossly the carport and only untie them when going to the next stage then tieing it right back down untill its all up and ready to go then buckle that thing down like hell

another tip that worked great is to get straight rebar to put down for each foot then put them over the bar, i found out after a few days that unless you do this no matter how good you tie down the thing it will still slowly move and slide around witch will damage the car port so doing the bars for each foot plus tie downs will make it extremely stable in the worst wind.

hope these help, it was my first year on the playa and it taught me a lot = D
winebuff

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 am

you forgot about the 5 standing around, watching, letting you know that you are doing it wrong
Fire_Moose

Postby winebuff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:03 am

Fire_Moose wrote:you forgot about the 5 standing around, watching, letting you know that you are doing it wrong

yep, then there is the one making the martinis and the one with his eyes on the hot naked girl riding by on her bike
winebuff

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 am

I thought you said there'd be beers and boobs..........
naked women would be a real draw......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 am

winebuff wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:you forgot about the 5 standing around, watching, letting you know that you are doing it wrong

yep, then there is the one making the martinis and the one with his eyes on the hot naked girl riding by on her bike

And the one complaining how back in the 90s putting up a car port in a temporary autonomous zone was so much more radically self-reliant.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby winebuff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
winebuff wrote:

And the one complaining how back in the 90s putting up a car port in a temporary autonomous zone was so much more radically self-reliant.

Lol, sorry we digress
winebuff

Return to Shelter & Camping