HOME Installation for 2010

HOME Installation for 2010

Postby tbabenyc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:12 am

Think enourmous: walk in, fabric home. Think life size, multi room: HOME will feature a completely hand cut and sewn patchwork fabric exterior as well as a faux grass front yard of patchworked greens with a faux gravel pathway to the front door; a tree made of mostly recycled materials including wood, fabric, and cardboard; a faux swimming pool in the backyard to lounge about on faux rocks (pillows covered in patchwork greys). The house will feature an indoor wall covered in safety pins and scrap fabric encouraging people to draw, write a message, etc, and assist in the creation or more art inside.

http://burninghome.blogspot.com/

Would love advice from people who have brought large scale installations to the playa. I've read everything I can online, I'm applying for an art grant, but there are always unanswered questions. This will be my third BM and its about darn time I bring some art! I made a MUCH smaller and easier version last year for local festivals so I'm optomistic about this, I've got my roommate who's an architect drawing up the actual plans for the build. Obviously I'll need a lot of assistance out on playa.
Questions questions, questions...

Opinions?
tbabenyc

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:27 am

Will it come with a faux dysfunctional family?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby tbabenyc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 pm

You offering to gather up some performers and make that happen? could be hysterical!!!
tbabenyc

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Complete with the cast from "Leave it to Beaver"

or at least showing reruns on a boob tube
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Will it come with a faux dysfunctional family?

Sounds like an excellent opportunity for some impromptu performance art to me. :)
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby sputnik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:27 pm

There was something that sounded just like this on Esplanade in 2009.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:05 pm

sputnik wrote:There was something that sounded just like this on Esplanade in 2009.

You mean dysfunctional families? Most camps, I think.
Ugly Dougly

Postby fbcota » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Sounds like a really cool idea. I wish you the best of luck on the entire project.

After building a large installation last year my advice is plan to have about twice as many people as you think you need and be ready to spend allot of time on your project. As you know the conditions are unpredictable at best, but its amazing how hard it can be to build large structures out in the open playa.

Take your time with the grant, but accept that a very small percentage of artists recieve grants. It seems like you need to prove yourself before they will give you money. All the Artery people are super nice though, so as the project matures don't be afriad to contact them with questions.

My project this year is another large scale project, and I am going to try to make sure that I have to do as little building on the playa as possible. For last years structure we used pre-made walls that bolted together, that part worked really well as it only took about 6 people and a night to built most of the super structure. We ended up spending a ton of time trying to complete the "art" on top of the structure. We found that the wind was our biggest enemy, and with all the fabric you will wan't to take some serious time to make sure it is all attached very well.

Good luck.
fbcota

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 am

I love the idea of a fabric home. The creative possibilities are endless. Keep in mind those 50 mph winds that can last for many hours or many days. Flapping tarps and fabric can (and will) shred in the strong winds. Allow provisions for for the wind to pass through the home and make for quick release of the fabric so sides can be rolled up. You may also consider two solid wood walls like a "t" for the center of the structure and build everything off of that.
Sham

Thanks!

Postby tbabenyc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:46 am

Thats the goal, to be build most of the walls here in ny and send them out to the playa and just bolt them together. Glad to hear from someone who's made it happen with a large scale. Desperately hoping I get the grant, at least partial. Would love to make it happen anyway but I really am a young struggling artist.
I was brainstorming the 'windows' idea. It seems like the safest idea would be to have a peice peice every row in different locations for the wind to blow thru. Mostly terrified the whole thing is going to fall over. I've been working with builders recently and picking their brains but I would love to see the floor be just the playa without building a setting to put it on, everyone agrees that it wont work because it wont be even. oy vey.
tbabenyc

Re: Thanks!

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 am

tbabenyc wrote:I would love to see the floor be just the playa without building a setting to put it on, everyone agrees that it wont work because it wont be even. oy vey.

The playa surface is for the most part flat, flat, flat! You may have to move some of the loose dust around for a bit of leveling, but the surface of the ground should not be an issue.
Sham

Postby tbabenyc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:07 am

thats what i said, i was like, 'no, you dont understand. the playa is a wasteland. it is flat'. they said that things might be on an angle still. and that it would be easier to be stable with rebar. the structure isnt going to be that heavy, a main, proper worry. And i want to avoid guy wires.
tbabenyc

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:59 am

If you have areas which will be covered with a solid piece, you can hide guy wires if you guy in an X. Nothing to trip over.

Uncovered:

Covered:

AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:17 am

The extreme flatness comes from this being a dried, prehistoric lakebed. The entire playa is the silk and muck that was at the bottom of this lake and therefore is as level as the water would have been---except for the dunes formed by the extreme wind conditions. I hope this clears things up for you!
Sham

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:51 am

well ya that, and all the nuclear tests they did there in the 70's
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am

Unless of course, there has been uplift since the lake was drained.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Unless of course, there has been uplift since the lake was drained.

You try scrubbing, you try soaking and still you have "Uplift since the lake was drained."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You try scrubbing, you try soaking and still you have

Ring around the playa.........

Sham

Postby fbcota » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:37 pm

Don't rely on getting a grant. Plan to build the entire project on your dime and stay optimistic about the grant. The grants are not easy to get, and it kinda feels like you need to have an "in" for the best chance.

The playa is damn flat. We had a level out for about 10 minutes checking the built side. Flat. Flat. Flat.
fbcota

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

Shambala wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You try scrubbing, you try soaking and still you have

Ring around the playa.........

Aw, shaddup.

:lol:
Ugly Dougly

Postby Tamino » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Sounds like the Malcolm in the Middle episode except they used an RV but they did use fake grass. I like the idea of an entire house.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Tamino

Return to 2010 Art & Performance