Fun With Motors

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

What should I build with my new toys?

Battling RoboCars
17%
Four-Wheel-Drive Cupcake Crusher
17%
Carnival Dark Ride With Two Cars
28%
Man-O-Rail
7%
Unnameable Robotic Atrocity
31%

Total votes : 29

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 am

Hmmm... What's the opposite of "locomotive"?[/quote]

evitomocol?

Hey...I LIKE that!

Still tootling up and down the driveway on what charge was in those chairs when I got 'em...but soon I'm going to have to set up a Recharge Bay and maybe get a fleet of float chargers from Harbor Freight. Moved stuff around in the studio to alow me to drive in and putter!

:lol:[/quote]
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Sail Man » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

You studio stud you :D I'm lucky when I can get my shed cleaned out enough to get to my tools let alone have a place to work. One day my friend, one day.........
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby unjonharley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:45 pm

robotland wrote:Hmmm... What's the opposite of "locomotive"?

evitomocol?

Hey...I LIKE that!

Still tootling up and down the driveway on what charge was in those chairs when I got 'em...but soon I'm going to have to set up a Recharge Bay and maybe get a fleet of float chargers from Harbor Freight. Moved stuff around in the studio to alow me to drive in and putter!

:lol:[/quote][/quote]

Skip the float chargers.. Keep em charged for this winter.. Put a snow blower on and remote control from your living room.. Bundel the wife up nice and warm.. She can take the other one out And make some extra $$ doing snow removal..
unjonharley

Postby robotland » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey, THAT is a good idea! I know I can hook my leaf blower on easily enough! Good reason to replace the wheels with some more offroad-friendly models...
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

robotland wrote:Hey, THAT is a good idea! I know I can hook my leaf blower on easily enough! Good reason to replace the wheels with some more offroad-friendly models...

H F tires are next to worthless.. Try then on the Zappy.. Didn't last a week..
unjonharley

Postby tubahurl » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Maybe the "Tub" and "Tilt" could get some new cousins on a smaller scale?
:wink:
Too stupid to know better!
The Popcorn Guys.
http://www.deviantev.com/tubahurl/

Cap'n Tub (killin' threads one post at a time)
tubahurl

Postby robotland » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:03 am

tubahurl wrote:Maybe the "Tub" and "Tilt" could get some new cousins on a smaller scale?
:wink:

IMPRESSIVE!

Scratch-built drive system?!?! WHOAaaaa. Nice job! I'm interested in the RC interface- Seems like something I'll want regardless of what directions I go in projectwise. I've been too miserly to splurge on new servos and controls BUT I have some old RC cars to dissect...(condition undetermined).

*sigh* Time to drag 'em inside for the winter.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby robotland » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Oh, that reminds me....

*BUMP*

Bringing the chairs inside for the "Winter"...so far, we've had record high temps (75 in spots on the weekend, currently dropping from high 50s) but this rollercoaster has GOT to stop sometime...Looking forward to tinkering over hot chocolate during frigid December days, if there ARE any...
Also, welcome to the NEW toy...a White sewing machine (circa 1960) with a gorgeous stainless steel baseplate bearing a big atomic graphic and the slogan "Electronically Controlled".
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm

I have the windows open here.
May have something to do with the hurricane coming.
It was 76 here today and I had to run the air in the car.
Everywhere I went, it was too hot.
Sometimes winter isn't too bad here.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:27 pm

"Hmmm... What's the oopposite of locomotive"

saneimpulse?
Elorrum

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:44 pm

robotland wrote:Oh, that reminds me....

*BUMP*

Bringing the chairs inside for the "Winter"...so far, we've had record high temps (75 in spots on the weekend, currently dropping from high 50s) but this rollercoaster has GOT to stop sometime...Looking forward to tinkering over hot chocolate during frigid December days, if there ARE any...
Also, welcome to the NEW toy...a White sewing machine (circa 1960) with a gorgeous stainless steel baseplate bearing a big atomic graphic and the slogan "Electronically Controlled".

My dear Robotland-- How nice it is to be drawing a bath, ready to soak off all the grunge from cleaning the garage workshop all day long, and knowing that you too are about to embark on the not-so-lonely winter of artistic tinkering. May your days be long and thoughtful, as you turn the ideas over and over in your cradling hands.

Your friend,

-Jellyfish.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:....cleaning the garage workshop....

...this is simply not believable - I have seen your garage workshop with my own eyes. I will require photographs to believe this...next you would have me believe that Robotland has tidy'd up his space....(daring a photo of THAT to be posted!)

oh yes, the aforementioned mechanical devices...I keep thinking of linking them with two poles of equal length, connected at their ends and hinged at both ends (one end to each chair and the other end to the other pole). That way, you could never be more than "X" distance apart, but as you got closer the linkage would be forced upwards (perhaps a chair mounted at the apex). Ideally you would use 3 chairs for this, but two might work.

or something like that.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:30 pm

There were some guys at Voodoo Experience with two shopping carts with a wireless link so one was the left channel and the other the right of some kick ass loud music. One was a bull with smoke coming out of its horns, the other a robot. They were a huge hit in the streets and I admired their radical inclusion when one of them took me on a tour "under the hood". He showed me a new device that uses FM radio transmission to send digitized CD quality sound from one to the other so either "driver" could control the music from their source.

What if the two electric wheelchair-based vehicles were linked in a similar master/slave relationship. Meaning, one operator could "drive" while the other is forced to tag along and could only move within a range of the master. The fun would be that the designation of master/slave could switch back and forth at random with no indication, so each driver only knows by the response of their rig if they are in control... sound like a love relationship or two? It could be a serendipitous romp or a real cluster fuck.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm

If you are doing sound on the playa, you have to have one of these.

http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/pi14dat.pdf
gyre

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:42 am

OMG! Those specs are incredible! Must have!
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby robotland » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:What if the two electric wheelchair-based vehicles were linked in a similar master/slave relationship.

I like it!

We did a bumper car test the other day...

(Okay, we got drunk and played Dodge'em with the wheelchairs.)

Those suckers are TOUGH! They really like to go, and I've found myself braking by crashing into piles of junk and LabVerks debris on more than one occasion.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Sail Man » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:

...this is simply not believable - I have seen your garage workshop with my own eyes. I will require photographs to believe this...next you would have me believe that Robotland has tidy'd up his space....(daring a photo of THAT to be posted!)

dJ, I sneaked over to Robotlands place while he was at Decomp and I was able to snap a few pics of his garage. You'll see that he also upgraded his auto from that ghastly pea soup Honda Cubicle he drove :lol:

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Fire Wire » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 pm

A norwegian BM(w) with 1034 hp.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Got2d7yEbLE[/youtube]
Fire Wire
Terminal City
www.campherring.com
Fire Wire

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Sail Man wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

dJ, I sneaked over to Robotlands place while he was at Decomp and I was able to snap a few pics of his garage. You'll see that he also upgraded his auto from that ghastly pea soup Honda Cubicle he drove :lol:

<photo>

...again, this is simply not believable - there is no disassembled dome hanging from the rafters!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:46 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

<photo>

...again, this is simply not believable - there is no disabled dome hanging from the rafters!
Hey! How did he get my dome?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:19 am

Dome Alone 3: Starring Caully McUlkin and Robotland!
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby gyre » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:32 am

Fire Wire wrote:A norwegian BM(w) with 1034 hp.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Got2d7yEbLE[/youtube]

So are you a car guy, Fire Wire?
Any other secrets?

I was talking to some interesting folks in sweden awhile back.
They didn't know anything about my volvo though.
They were only racing american V8s.
gyre

Postby robotland » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 am

Sail Man wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

RIDICULOUS! My garage would NEVER be that clean!!!!

New Holiday Project...HObot! One plastic Santa head, old percolator, two baseball bats and a handful of Power Wheelz motors.....With luck I can have him ready for Eccentric Day at Bell's....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Knocking on the door of Planet Steve studio..

Has Robotland taken delivery of one of those new girlfriend-bots?

Is this the reason for no sighting of the skeamer dreamer from Mi?

(BUMP)
unjonharley

Postby epic_elite » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 pm

[quote="robotland"][quote="theCryptofishist"]One of the stupidest things I've run into is when I had to have the sealed bearings changed out on my, the place where I bought it asked me to have my doctor fax over a prescription. [/quote]

Oooooohhh...[i]prescription[/i] bearings! Fan-cy! In a world where our cat has his own Walgreens card for his medication, I guess I'm not really surprised....
[/quote]

i work in the pharmacy at walgreens. you know if you have one of those cards for your cat, and your insurance expires or you don't re-new it. you can be set up on the card as well... but if your cat was on there first, your cat will be registered as 'head of household'.

sometimes that seems a little more true than it should :wink:
epic_elite

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination